Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full Range Build, 12" driver...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2017, 02:18 PM   #651
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Like this? Is this also an acoustic lens?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th December 2017, 02:22 PM   #652
diyAudio Member

I guess it is, pathlength is shorter than the plate lenses shown so far. Perhaps related to bandwidth. It looks interesting as well. An interesting mix of the simple path of a plate lens, with the circular form factor of a round perforated lens.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:43 PM   #653
sbcrx007 is offline sbcrx007  United States
diyAudio Member

The Klam would probably be an application then too I guess, I just don't know too much about it. And it's really only worth thinking/talking about if the lens plates still work if they are shortened considerably width-wise. You could even place a lens right inside the K-aperture or coupler and have the lens plates go right out to meet the curtain edges, so there would just be a neat looking louvered section in the center. It would look killer, but I've no idea if it would sound good at all!
Old 7th December 2017, 01:35 AM   #654
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

fwiw, Karlson's klams from the little KR5 Rocket to APX/Oliver Phase III and AP100 (assume "Magna Clam" were vented - whether effective or not = ? The little Rocket used a weak motor radio speaker. Oliver's Phase II used an alnico magnet 10" guitar speaker. AP100 used an Altec 421 15" speaker and a K-tube.

A cardboard mini klam front with typical angles of 30-40 degrees, suspended in front of the whizzer would deflect highs downwards and spread them - how smoothly = have to decide "by ear". It would be worth 10 minutes of time to make and try one.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:05 AM   #655
diyAudio Member

Here's a picture of the 2nd concept
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20171206_212744.jpeg (240.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 7th December 2017, 02:15 AM   #656
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A cardboard mini klam front with typical angles of 30-40 degrees, suspended in front of the whizzer would deflect highs downwards and spread them - how smoothly = have to decide "by ear". It would be worth 10 minutes of time to make and try one.
Freddi - I thought we said before a k-aperture wouldn't disperse the highs from a narrow dia whizzer? 30-40 deg from vertical or horizontal? Its certainly worth a try in cardboard, good point... Im finally back around to looking at the XKi design for the Fane by Xrk too.

Jesse
Old 7th December 2017, 04:04 AM   #657
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

it would disperse "something" and have some downwards or upswards direction property. The power response of fullrange drivers can leave a big hole above 3K. You wouldn't want the paper klam very wide - maybe try like your mini plate lens - if its garbage, well at least you know.

I think the angle in K's illustration (hacked) below was 30 degress elevation - you could try 40 making the aperture steeper and top plate shorter.

I used a 40 degree mini klam on a one inch format compression driver (slot facing "down" as in that drawing - oddly it seemed to pretty much kill output above the flat upper part.

A. Weiiss' patent image shows a 40 degree version - don't know if the cone speaker was really used or just for illustration
- his product had a metal lens for a one inch format Eminence compression driver. I'm guessing that lens was about 1.25" square where it mounted over the compression driver's exit. Story goes that lens/driver in a system was evaluated and rejected as
it sprayed highs everywhere (vs THX controlled spec)

http://patentimages.storage.googleap...S5943431-1.png

Last edited by freddi; 7th December 2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 7th December 2017, 06:05 AM   #658
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Like this? Is this also an acoustic lens?

Yes, that was what I assumed someone must have made sometime.

Edit:
Here it is on the speaker units:
2x SIEMENS Klangfilm 10" COAX speaker - ACOUSTIC LENS | #135558015

Edit2:
A bit OT, but never heard of Kinap Lomo before, looks nice:
KINAP LOMO speakers 11" 25GD-18-22 KLANGFILM FULL-RANGE USSR 4pcs | eBay

Edit3:
Nice square lenses from Japan, not too expensive for the pair:
JBL 2308 / L91 TYPE Kenrick Sound Acoustic Lens pair SET NEW From Japan | eBay

Last edited by KaffiMann; 7th December 2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:36 PM   #659
diyAudio Member

Lomo, not a very promising name. Interesting but coloured. ;-) (Referring to the Lomography style of photography.)

It looks different than I would have expected though. I would assume narrow fins/short pathlength at the center and broad fins/longer pathlength toward the edge of the cone.
Old 7th December 2017, 01:42 PM   #660
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

This is very similar to what I expected, you are interested in spreading out the high frequency sounds that come from the wizzer, not the lower frequencies that come from the main cone.

I read some paper about circular diffusers, but it seemed to be for focusing sound of 100khz, so a bit higher up than I can hear.

Full Range Build, 12" driver...Hide this!Advertise here!