options for PA130-8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently built a pair of pa130-8 xki's for a friend, and I have a pair in baffles waiting for proper speaker boxes.

The first ones turned out really well, but I am looking for other options as well. If I build another set of xki's I think I will buy another pair of PA130-8s and try to double up the speakers.

But I would also like to minimize the complex wood working if possible. I am wondering about a if someone might be able to help with the specs for a MLTL or something similar.

I would like to do a BiB for these, but I don't think that will work due to WAF...

I welcome suggestions. Room is 14'x 18' ish with 8' ceiling. Wife wants small speakers, I want as much quality bass as I can get.

Andy

Thanks Dave. Wouldn't have thought of that.

However, the curves on the back and the back angle of the baffle are still a little a little daunting for my wood working capabilities. I could manage it, but not without considerable time and effort.

I will see if the wife thinks the external dimensions would be acceptable. (Its kinda her room).

Andy

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Without a doubt, the 0.53x scalle Karlsonator is one of the best sounding speakers with this driver. Rich full bass and no need for baffle step correction. Nice dynamics and great smooth midrange for vocals.

One of my favorite speakers.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Also, works well with XKi in a smaller box - the Daytonator - still great sound.

The Daytonator - PA130-8X

Reactions: 1 user
I think I am going to go with a Karlson type because of the performance/size, and I did really enjoy the first ones.

I was thinking that there might be designs for an onken style or MLTL or something else that might be more of a plain box, but

xrk,

are either of those the same as what Freddie sent me?

acatalepsia.org

The PA-130-8 is a really enjoyable driver. Surprisingly, it did not do well in XRK's comparison tests, perhaps because it has personality and deviates from flat? Regardless, I enjoy these on OB (with a helper woofer) and in a BIB (dimensions sized for a Fostex 127e from several years ago) which produced a speaker with satisfyingly big bass. Always wanted to build the Karlson but all sorts of stuff got in the way. If you do the Karlson's please keep up posted on the result.

I have two of these drivers. The PA130-8. I like the .53 Karlson but am not fond of foam. I used to have to use foam making plugs for molds in a previous life, has been the bane of my existence in a structural sense with the marine constructions I currently build. I also don't have room for anymore large speakers so that pretty much nixes the frugalhorn, although, I really like the looks of those.

Would these drivers do well in a simple BR box with along with a subwoofer?

Don't get me wrong. I really do appreciate the merits of what can be achieved with the foam boxes but I have enough plastic in my life. I work in modern marine, yet chose to build a wood boat for myself, if that is any indication.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.