SAL Full Range Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I rebuilt the amp :p with speaker protection and other mods as advised.

But to no-avail, two days on the bench testing and setting up, checked with a scope....all good..

2 hours use ...... 'BANG" flash, game over. :confused: Same again. But the the speaker protection circuit did its job :p Bonus,,

Sorry for your bad luck.

Did you check for oscillation with load on the amp? If I remember correct, I belive the F5 is using feedback. if it is a feedback problem a Zobel network helps in some cases. Just an idea….

Frank

So after a few weeks I have finally got the xover components and have repaired the blown SAL driver. A Big Big thanks to Frank who came to my rescue. The F5t is still in dry dock but luckily I have other amps which have now been pressed into service..Early days but sounding superb..

Sims suggest as large a box as you can live with sealed or aperiodic OR open baffle.

attachment.php

dave
Hi Dave,
I happened to have a sealed box with about 75l of volume and hole cut for 8in driver. Would it be a good candidate for this driver?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is what I'm listening at right now.
I bought a Fostex T90A Super Tweeter to fill in the last octave.
The Fostex is crossed over very high with a 0.47uF Mundorf capacitor to have the highs I want. Tried different E12 capacitor values from 1.5uf down to 0.47uF.
Now it sounds really great!

I have a question about the cross-over from Nelson. What does the L2,R3,C2 filter do? Is it a baffle step correction? Or just to dampen/filter a peak in the frequency response?
If I calculate the resonance frequency of 1uf parallel with 0.5mH I would say it's a bandpass filter at 7.1KHz with a very low Q because of the 3.3 Ohm resistor.
In my crossover I can switch it in and out, see picture, but I like the sound better without that filter.
Remember, I'm a newbie in this area:eek: so I hope someone can help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 495
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 488
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 197
  • SAl filter Nelson.jpg
    SAl filter Nelson.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
This is what I'm listening at right now.
I bought a Fostex T90A Super Tweeter to fill in the last octave.
The Fostex is crossed over very high with a 0.47uF Mundorf capacitor to have the highs I want. Tried different E12 capacitor values from 1.5uf down to 0.47uF.
Now it sounds really great!

I have a question about the cross-over from Nelson. What does the L2,R3,C2 filter do? Is it a baffle step correction? Or just to dampen/filter a peak in the frequency response?
If I calculate the resonance frequency of 1uf parallel with 0.5mH I would say it's a bandpass filter at 7.1KHz with a very low Q because of the 3.3 Ohm resistor.
In my crossover I can switch it in and out, see picture, but I like the sound better without that filter.
Remember, I'm a newbie in this area:eek: so I hope someone can help.

I'm using different fullrange for OB, but settled T90a like yours with 0.47uF AN copper. i'd rather leave the Fullrange without any filter at all. I tried hpf with 100uF or pllxo to protect the cone from damage during bluray movie, but it suck out good midbass during music session, decided to use separate 3way floorstand for movie. however my subwoofer is using active dsp with lpf @80Hz 24dB which blend nicely with FR.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi, if you are using a "super tweeter" move it as close to the wideband as possible to minimise comb filtering

Thanks, I had the same idea, but was in a doubt because the Super tweeter is often used with the supplied wooden holder to be put on top of an existing speaker...???
This is just a test baffle from cheap MDF, the definitive version will be of Baltic birch plywood and I will correct it then.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm using different fullrange for OB, but settled T90a like yours with 0.47uF AN copper. i'd rather leave the Fullrange without any filter at all. I tried hpf with 100uF or pllxo to protect the cone from damage during bluray movie, but it suck out good midbass during music session, decided to use separate 3way floorstand for movie. however my subwoofer is using active dsp with lpf @80Hz 24dB which blend nicely with FR.

Thanks for the tip! I will listen to the combination without the 100uF also.
Funny you came to the exact same value as I did. Also funny I also ordered yesterday a Audyn True Copper Max capacitor :D:) 33Euro's for 0.47uF:eek::eek:

Thanks for the tip! I will listen to the combination without the 100uF also.
Funny you came to the exact same value as I did. Also funny I also ordered yesterday a Audyn True Copper Max capacitor :D:) 33Euro's for 0.47uF:eek::eek:
based on T90a pdf, it should be paired with 1.5uF & Lpad, but when I tested it in low volume, the sound seems stressed, 0.47u is perfect airy. my capacitor test with solen, rusia caps, ampohm, vishay 1822 and finally audionote is my choice :)

looking at SAL 5.5xmax 0.8 qts, it has potential for extra bassboost, you might try it gently. with my 8" fullrange, 3mm xmax and 1.3 qts, i used opamp tone control to add more bass and the result is amazing. it gives more 'weight' to music which has different character than 15" or 21" bass. T-bass seems interesting instead of using opamp for precious SIT amplifier or other FW clone :kidding:

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member

It is as you describe, and of course can be adjusted to taste.

Attachments

• SAL PASSIVE FILTER.jpg
    SAL PASSIVE FILTER.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 741
SAL OB project update

Over the holiday period I had a few hours to waist and fashioned some foam grilles for the OB project, mainly to made it more 'un-industrial'. I don't like the centre grille and it was just a quick 'lets see job' needs more of a curve (dome) A future project...

I am now fully active and what a surprise these OB speakers are..and I have yet to implement time alignment software and filters. I can't see myself ever going back to a box type speaker..

Attachments

• DSC_0299.jpg
    DSC_0299.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 482
Over the holiday period I had a few hours to waist and fashioned some foam grilles for the OB project, mainly to made it more 'un-industrial'. I don't like the centre grille and it was just a quick 'lets see job' needs more of a curve (dome) A future project...

I am now fully active and what a surprise these OB speakers are..and I have yet to implement time alignment software and filters. I can't see myself ever going back to a box type speaker..

Nice, I like the way your sub cover looks, but you need some work for the full range;) Keep us posted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.