SAL Full Range Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been experimenting with this unit for some years now. As mentioned, it is designed for open baffles.
But I find that it can be used in other configurations as well, depending what you want and need. When used in a small closed box, it does have a small peak at low frequency’s. But if this is taken in consideration and placed far from the back wall, it doses preform pretty well.
I have tried a larger box with stuffing, but with no back plate (open in the back), that is even greater. So, the idea about using an aperiodic design, sounds like a good idea.
Another design I have tried is an open baffle using two units. The unit no. two is cross over at the frequency where the baffle starts to influence the respond. This works amazing, the respond is almost one oct lower, when using a proper second unit.
I have posted some pictures for inspiration.

Attachments

• Capture_867.jpg
    Capture_867.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,091
  • Capture_840.jpg
    Capture_840.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 1,095
  • Sal1.jpg
    Sal1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,083
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What do you mean by "resonant behaviour" in this context?

I see a small blip at 900 Hz, which may be related to some resonance effect in the driver mech, but I don't think it is resonating at all frequencies from 900 Hz and up.

Every full-range driver works as a piston in the lower range, and (hopefully) a controlled resonance above the. The blip is usually a marker of the transition.

dave

Looks like the transition from pistoic behaviour to resonant behaviour is 900 Hz.

dave

Hi Dave,

I think I am missing something about what you mean about, what you call piston to resonance behavior. I don’t see how you can conclude on which frequency, the unit goes from piston to resonance behavior from the Z curve? Maybe it is because we use different terms. I would think you meant “break up mode” but that’s a different thing, because that is related to the sound speed of the cone material.
The small peak at 900 Hz is there because there is introduced a compliance, between the main cone and the wizzer. Think of it as a mechanical cross over, for the two cones.
I did an experiment some time ago, with a unit that I wanted to reduce to upper frequency respond. This clearly shows the effect of a second compliance, between the voice coil and the main cone. If you look at the frequency curve and the Z curve, you will clearly see a correspondent between these curves.

Attachments

• imp_curve.jpg
    imp_curve.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 927
  • SPL_curve.jpg
    SPL_curve.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 922
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.