Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SAL Full Range Drivers
SAL Full Range Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2018, 08:26 AM   #271
aoc is offline aoc  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Dave & Frank
I circled the small tear... anything that I should do about it?

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Not a SAL, but i had the phase plug in a rare TB driver get knocked out and i used epoxy to glue it back and they are fine. My wooden phase plugs are light enuff that they magnetically attach with just a couple steel screws on the bottom of the plug.

Probably more of an issue is the mangled whizzer cone… there are ways to minimize the effects, but that is the whole other subject of treating drivers.

dave
IMG-20180220-WA0002-1.jpg
Old 20th February 2018, 10:23 AM   #272
diyAudio Member

It's alive .... Definitely sounds different with phase plug than without. I have been listening for 4 days without Phase plug on one side, the difference is highly noticable

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoc View Post
Frank and all who responded,
Thanks for the guidance... Deed is done... Now the waiting for it to harden. Voice coil still moves freely... Was worried the epoxy overflow, only use a thin layer in the middle as well as fill up the gap in the speaker "pole”Attachment 663690Attachment 663691
Old 20th February 2018, 11:18 AM   #273
laverda is offline laverda  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoc View Post
Dave & Frank
I circled the small tear... anything that I should do about it?

AlexAttachment 663694
I'm sure a 'spot' of good superglue is all that is needed.
Old 20th February 2018, 11:58 AM   #274
mctavish is offline mctavish  Austria
diyAudio Member

Noooooo! Dont use superglue! (Cyanoacrylate) It dries very hard and will eventually rip the edge around the glue spot through movement. Use a soft, rubber type glue.

This is experience speaking.
Old 20th February 2018, 04:35 PM   #275
Frank40 is offline Frank40  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex,

I needed to do an experiment before I could answer the question regarding wizzer. Since the coating of the wizzer is very similar to epoxy, I tried to tear one cone and repaired it with epoxy, and it works very well.
I would recommend that you put just a little bit of epoxy, on the rear side of the wizzer and massage into the material. Remember to remove any leftovers. When the epoxy is dry it will not be visible. You don’t need to worry about the extra weight since the amount you need is close to nothing.

Hope this helps
Frank
Old 20th February 2018, 11:26 PM   #276
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank40 View Post
Hi Alex,

I needed to do an experiment before I could answer the question regarding wizzer. Since the coating of the wizzer is very similar to epoxy, I tried to tear one cone and repaired it with epoxy, and it works very well.
I would recommend that you put just a little bit of epoxy, on the rear side of the wizzer and massage into the material. Remember to remove any leftovers. When the epoxy is dry it will not be visible. You don’t need to worry about the extra weight since the amount you need is close to nothing.

Hope this helps
Frank
Thanks Frank
Old 28th February 2018, 05:14 PM   #277
tommydoan84 is offline tommydoan84  United States
diyAudio Member

SAL Full Range Drivers
hi Frank and all,

Finally, I got all the tools I need to do biamping/active Xover and make freq response my OB.

Equipment use
- FW F4 for the Sub Eminence beta 15'' and FW Alelph J for SAL drivers
- MiniDSP 2x4HD: EQ SAL drive and dual Eminence 15beta
- MiniDSP 2x4HD: Xover at 300 Mhz using SL filter with -12dB/slope
- UMIK-1 USB mic: fully calibrated at 0degree, placed the mic at ears level 90 degree perpendicular to the speaker at 1 meter distance
- Software: REW for EQ, measurement and HD-plugins for active Xover
- Speaker placement: 1 meter off the rear wall and off the corner of the room

- Sal Freq response before EQ: I see the big dip at 5.52 kHz. Does anyone know if this is expected for the driver ? or is it due to my room effect ? High frequency start to roll off around 700 Mhz
- Playing around with REW EQ. I can tame some of the bump at 2k, 3k and 58 Hz but not able to get rid of the dip. I wonder if adding a super tweeter like Fostex t90a can help with the dip at 5.52khz for the HF

The overall sounds of OB with this active Xover/biamping setup with miniDSP 2x4HD is improved compared to passive Xover but still not open and airy at the high frequency. I wonder if it's due to a big dip of freq at 5.52khz showed up in the SAL measurement. It's good at mid range and decent at the mid bass but the high frequency is still not right to my ears.

I'm only a newbie so I'm open to all suggestions from other experts. Should I use Supertweeter to cover up freq range from 5k - 20k ? Should I use different Xover frequency ? maybe Xover at 1khz ? since this is the same zone for HF of SAL. Any inputs are appreciated.
I wonder if the baffle size and the way I place SAL in the middle in separate piece of wood might contribute to the dip at 5khz and the frequency response that I see below

Below is the image of SAL before EQ and SAL after EQ in green
SAL Before EQ
Click the image to open in full size.

SAL After EQ
Here's the overlay curves of all drivers. the PINK curve is the Xover of SAL and dual beta 15 at XO 300Hz using LR -12dB.

OB design and placement

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by tommydoan84; 28th February 2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 28th February 2018, 06:38 PM   #278
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Try moving your microphone to different positions (further away from the speaker, off axis) and see what the 5.5kHz dip does. If the dip goes away or moves to other frequencies, it's a geometry thing (baffle, room, reflections). If the dip stays, it's because the driver output has a dip.

I don't know if REW can take anechoic measurements, but that might be useful to understand a bit better what's going on. An impulse response showing the direct sound from the driver and the later reflections and the sound from the rear of the baffle might be useful to see.
Old 28th February 2018, 07:03 PM   #279
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Can you hear the dip?
Old 28th February 2018, 07:29 PM   #280
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

SAL Full Range Drivers
He says yes, and it’s not “open and airy” so seems to be the case. A 5k dip could do this
I think. I believe the SAL response is quite flat so that notch might be for anonter reason than the driver.. There is a frequency response curve for the driver around somewhere.

I don’t think the super tweeter is the answer to fix a notch But I do have speakers with a full range mid and a tweeter above 5k that work well. Kind off a shame to cut off a lot of the SALs response. Probably just adding complexity at this point-better to fix the response (somehow!)

SAL Full Range DriversHide this!Advertise here!