expanding quarter wave pipes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A clarinet is a quarter wave resonator and overblows at a 12th, and a saxophone is a half wave resonator and overblows at an octave. The explanation for this is that the clarinet is a cylindrical tube closed at one end, and a saxophone is a conical tube closed at one end. I confess that I cannot intuitively grasp why this creates the difference.

But taking it as so, what about a standard expanding tqwt. I have been shown that this is a parabolic expansion. The fundamental resonance of the tube, in terms of the length of the tube, is between a quarter and a half wavelength. What happens to the harmonics?

Thanks for that GM. At first glance I could not see anything specifically about parabolic expansion tubes. But it did jog my memory of this:

http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alignment_Tables.pdf

This shows that in order to achieve the same resonant frequency with an expanding tube, the tube has to be longer. (and a contracting tube shorter) Looking at response curve of the harmonics does seem to show an interesting aspect. The harmonics are not multiples of the fundamental resonance, but seem related to the length of the tube. Compare the (estimated) harmonics of the straight tube, the expanding tube, and the contracting tube. All have a 30Hz resonance.

Straight, length 2.76 metres: 30,90,150,210, etc, just as expected
Expanding, length 3.92 metres: 30,74,120,160,200
Contracting, length 1.71 metres: 30,130,230,330,430

When I see that the quarter wave resonant frequencies of straight tubes of those lengths are 21Hz, 30Hz, and 48Hz, it looks that the tube length dictates the higher harmonics. So I end up with another question, why does the geometry of the tube change the fundamental, but not the harmonics? Or is my interpretation simply wrong.

GM

Joined 2003
You're welcome!

Did you check out the 'wave', 'resonance' concepts sections in my link?

Re parabolic expansion, I dismissed it as we normally have no use for them except as a consequence of box construction type and even then doesn't alter the response enough compared to conical to be an issue in the bass.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Well yes. But it says this:

The nth harmonic = n x the fundamental frequency.

And what I find is that with expanding or contracting parallel sided cabinets, (parabolic) which are very standard in tqwt constructions, THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Didn't say it was, just is near enough conical that designing with conical, but built parabolic and the performance difference is typically too negligible to be a concern except when 'wringing' the last dB out of a prosound app alignment.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
A standard TQWT (aka Voigt pipe) is a conical expansion. A Metronome is a parabolic expansion, but in most practical realizations close enuff to be modeled as an ML-Voigt.

dave

The Metronome expands in both planes, so is conical; a typical TQWT such as the BIB or simple [tapped] TLs, horns with its parallel sides and straight divider board is parabolic. To make it conical, the divider must be curved on both sides so two plus filler is required, wasting space, adding unneeded complexity.

Use Hornresp's default to design a conical [con] folded TL or TH, save and convert to parabolic [par] to see the theoretical response difference. Many early TH designs posted used conical and while measured response showed a bit more accuracy when redone as parabolic, real world results were close enough either way.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sorry i got that a bit wrong, a Voigt has a linear expansion, the Met is quadratic.

Metronome-curve.gif

A parabola is a minimal quadratic y=x^2. In a Voigt with parallel sides y=kx.

dave

Didn't say it was, just is near enough conical that designing with conical, but built parabolic and the performance difference is typically too negligible to be a concern except when 'wringing' the last dB out of a prosound app alignment.

GM

In what way is it near enough conical? I would have thought that a conical tube of the same length would have a significantly different fundamental, and a different harmonic progression.

Again, I only know real world results, you'll have to ask folks who can do the higher math required, which Dave and others here may know and of course MJK over on his yahoo group.

Note too that speaker/horn cabs are typically truncated to a greater or lesser extent at one or both ends, especially in the mid-bass on down, where only a small part of its HF BW is horn loaded to match up with the mid driver/horn, so the various flares can be very similar in reality in its TL modes BW.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.