Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help selecting woofer for boombox
Help selecting woofer for boombox
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2017, 04:25 AM   #1
LumpyLouis is offline LumpyLouis  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help selecting woofer for boombox

Im looking to build a battery powered boombox with a class d 2x50 amp. I really wish I could do a boominator mini but my budget will fall a few hundred dollars short of that project.

Ill probably go with a 2-way setup with a woofer/tweeter on each channel. I'm looking at parts express woofers in the 6-8" range around $20 or less (some 6.5s are much less). What T/S parameters do I need to look for in a woofer in a strictly oudoor application?
Old 30th June 2017, 06:50 AM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyLouis View Post
Ill probably go with a 2-way setup with a woofer/tweeter on each channel.
So this pertains to Multi-way
Or do you think that full-range applies to whatever produces the audible band ?
For outdoor, I'd choose some treated paper or better polypropylene /phtalate .
Old 30th June 2017, 12:43 PM   #3
OffGridKindaGuy is offline OffGridKindaGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

For decent bass, I wouldn't suggest any driver smaller than an 8 in. in a sealed enclosure. Something with a higher SPL rating. 8 ohm saves battery but 4 ohm will be a little hotter..

Employ a tone control (EQ) and some BSC to help with the bass and control of the upper frequency region of the driver..

An example that won't break the bank..
https://www.parts-express.com/grs-8f...-51fw--292-430
Old 30th June 2017, 04:51 PM   #4
LumpyLouis is offline LumpyLouis  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks OffGrid! I have posted in the full range forum where I should have posed my question in the multi-way forum (maybe an admin can move this for me?). My plan was to use a 2-way setup.

The numbers for this driver on the PE datasheet are inaccurate according to one of the reviews:

* This data was exported from the Dayton Audio WT3 Woofer Tester
* Manufacturer: GRS
* Model: 8FR-8
* Piston Diameter = 165.1 mm
* f(s)= 63.25 Hz
* R(e)= 7.43 Ohms
* Z(max)= 49.80 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 5.702
* Q(es)= 1.000
* Q(ts)= 0.851
* V(as)= 32.170 liters (1.136 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 1.14 mH
* n(0)= 0.78 %
* SPL= 91.00 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 12.67 grams
* C(ms)= 0.50 mm/N
* BL= 6.12

I'm not sure how problematic this would be other than I think will need a larger sealed cabinet than 0.71 ft.. I see the Q(ts) is 0.851 vs the 0.4 listed.

How do I evaluate how directional my woofer will be? For outdoor use I need something that will radiate broadly so that people who aren't in front of the speaker will hear the same/similar sound that those in front of the speaker will hear.
Old 2nd July 2017, 02:22 PM   #5
OffGridKindaGuy is offline OffGridKindaGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

"The numbers for this driver on the PE datasheet are inaccurate according to one of the reviews"

I respect someone using tools as such but I must question how experienced they are in using them.. JMO..

Low frequency leaves the enclosure rather broadly and a portion actually rolls around to the rear, hence the need of Baffle Step Compensation in some cases. Mid/High frequency will always be predominant within the "Beam" pattern of the driver(s). Listeners outside of this beam will hear the lower frequencies at a higher level in an outdoor environment..

Don't plan to fill a football field with sound from a small source. Keep your listening area somewhat small and keep a little distance between the unit and the group. (10-15 Ft.) Place the unit ~4 Ft. off the ground and avoid a flat surface under the unit. (Table top) Pole mount or suspend it from whatever in open air. Then you'll find out how good your build is..

Help selecting woofer for boomboxHide this!Advertise here!