W8-1808 vs W8-2145

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
XKi is a speaker alignment that I developed using a 6th order bandpass with a Karlson aperture:

XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

It provides deep well-controlled bass from a compact enclosure (with appropriate driver) with excellent cone control to reduce cone movement an distortion, while having wide dispersion and snappy dynamics that Karlson K15's are known for.

Damn, came here to see if the 1808s are worth the price over the 2145s, and see a pair for sale...sadly I'm in the wrong country (Germany). Oh well, I've heard that the 2145s have a pretty deep drop at 10k, but have only heard positives about its sound - is it even noticeable?

I've just put the 2145s on a 70L BR box / 50Hz tuned, not optimal but already built. The tonal balance is really good, a bit strong at 5K 7K but still really listenable, the dispersion is quite good for a 8" driver, and the stage is great.

Mids are to die for.
Highs are accurate and "there", no noticeable drops.

Far better than the Betsy I owned before, and I loved them.

I've bought a miniDSP mic, measurements soon, I will build a MLTL ASAP.

These 2145 rock.

regards,
seb

The Betsy's are good, but you need a BSC, Zobel and a notch. It's not a big deal . The dispersion is not as good as the TB

I repair tube amps, so I meet audiophiles with big systems like Flagship DUNTECH, JMR, ALTEC and so on.
These always been mind blown by the Betsy's in the WIBAQs (With EQ, and after BSC, zobel and notch). No kidding.

The soundstage and the "only one HP thing" are the strong suits of the fullrange driver. I could see in their eyes "WTF I paid XXXXX$ for a system and that thing rocks for a couple of bucks"
Some "audiophiles" don't know a sh*t about sound, they just have big bucks, and put their speakers at the wrong place. Or electrically out of phase. True. Better is system you can afford and some knowledge.

Fullrangers are really good with voices and few instruments, moderate volume.

Betsy's are really nice once "tuned", TB are awesome right out the box.

regards,
seb
sorry once again for my poor english, I eat frogs.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I've just put the 2145s on a 70L BR box / 50Hz tuned, not optimal but already built. The tonal balance is really good, a bit strong at 5K 7K but still really listenable, the dispersion is quite good for a 8" driver, and the stage is great.

Mids are to die for.
Highs are accurate and "there", no noticeable drops.

Far better than the Betsy I owned before, and I loved them.

I've bought a miniDSP mic, measurements soon, I will build a MLTL ASAP.

These 2145 rock.

regards,
seb

I have wanted to make the WIBAQ but the size has always been a bit intimidating. Great to hear that it can crush big dollar audiophile systems. :D

Thanks for the nice passive BSC/Zobel/notch design. This really helps.

564637d1471004165-wibaq-tabaq-design-betsy-betsy-notch-bsc-jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.