Stoned

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks!

Pictures, ... well, I just took these.

Only need to wire them and they'll be ready!

I'm very happy with the final look.

Attachments

• semifinal1.jpg
    semifinal1.jpg
    921.5 KB · Views: 2,615
  • semifinal2.jpg
    semifinal2.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 311
  • semifinal3.jpg
    semifinal3.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 292
  • semifinal4.jpg
    semifinal4.jpg
    919.8 KB · Views: 1,201
Ok, some measurements...

Had a very short window, between people in the house and cicadas singing loudly in the trees under the hot sun of the day!

Here's FR with a bit of EQ. Had to be a little lower than overall system loudness.

625186d1499748555-stoned-blueob-fr.jpg

And here's distortion. There's a bit around 70Hz, but that's something rattling on the shelf... I should put the speakers on the floor instead.

625187d1499748555-stoned-blueob-dist.jpg

Impulse will be next and FIR file playing on the miniDSP HD. Hopefully I'll have a longer window of time tomorrow.

Attachments

• blueOB DIST.jpg
    blueOB DIST.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 256
  • blueOB FR.jpg
    blueOB FR.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 288
Spent all morning trying RePhase for the first time... and went nowhere.

Had to learn it, and finally, after playing with files and reading on the internet, I think I got it.

Now, using the miniDSP HD, since I need a FIR file for each driver, do I forget the XO in miniDSP and just use the FIR files to create my individual XO curves and EQ ? I don't (or shouldn't) need the XO in miniDSP?

So, this is different than using it as convolution in JRiver, right?

Spent all morning trying RePhase for the first time... and went nowhere.

Had to learn it, and finally, after playing with files and reading on the internet, I think I got it.

Now, using the miniDSP HD, since I need a FIR file for each driver, do I forget the XO in miniDSP and just use the FIR files to create my individual XO curves and EQ ? I don't (or shouldn't) need the XO in miniDSP?

So, this is different than using it as convolution in JRiver, right?

It's your choice... You could do it either way, just be sure what length the FIR filter can be and see if it can fit your desired correction within that length. The lower you go, the longer (more tabs) the FIR file needs to be to have enough resolution in the bottom end.

RePhase is also excellent to be able to linearize a known crossover. Meaning you can still use the miniDSP to it's fullest and use the FIR for minor correction only. It's very similar to the use in JRiver, though JRiver won't have the FIR length restrictions most hardware devises have.

What do you want to correct with FIR? Your goals might steer you in the right direction.

Yes, you could use a FIR file in JRiver to accomplish a crossover too.

A named crossover (like Linkwitz Riley) isn't a named crossover until the actual acoustic output follows the known curves of that crossover. That in itself needs more help than just 'setting' a crossover to a named value within whatever devise you use.
So I'd use the crossover slope in miniDSP that gets me closest to my end goal and would use the FIR correction part to actually get to that "paper ideal" shape.

Alright, thanks for the info.

I'll see what I can do .

I'm a bit weary to try something new right now... it sounds and measures well at the moment. Imaging is very nice, being able to locate instruments both R/L and front / back. Nice dynamics. I might live with it for a while, and start tinkering again later. I know... there's always room for improvements!

Re-did the EQ, this time only taking down peaks, and only two boosts: +10db at 50Hz, and +4dB at 10kHz.

Min phase measurements are pretty nice.... At the listening position:

625496d1499920900-stoned-ob-blue-fr.jpg

625497d1499920900-stoned-ob-blue-impul.jpg

625498d1499920900-stoned-ob-blue-spectro.jpg

Attachments

• OB-BLUE FR.jpg
    OB-BLUE FR.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 501
  • OB-BLUE impul.jpg
    OB-BLUE impul.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 506
  • OB-BLUE spectro.jpg
    OB-BLUE spectro.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
I know it took me a long time, but finally, here are the measurements I finally took of distortion from the Blue OBs. I needed some free runs to play with XSim, so it was the perfect opportunity to do this test.

I just let each driver (the W8-1772 and the AHE15") run without any filter or EQ.

The layers of stone, aluminium and plywood are doing their thing! The distortion spike at 30Hz is a glitch with the sound card.

W8-1772:
attachment.php

AHE 15":
attachment.php

Attachments

• BlueOB 1772 distortion.jpg
    BlueOB 1772 distortion.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 814
  • BlueOB AHE15 distortion.jpg
    BlueOB AHE15 distortion.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 230
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.