First DIY Build - CHR-70.3 in Twin A7 DBR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So here's pics of my first foray into loudspeaker building. This was also my first experience with a router. Additionally, I had no table saw so all cuts were made with a DeWalt 18v battery powered skill saw and clamped straight-edge. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

IMG_20170301_200636.jpg

IMG_20170302_201228.jpg

IMG_20170302_203135.jpg

IMG_20170302_213836.jpg

IMG_20170302_234034.jpg

IMG_20170302_235510.jpg

IMG_20170302_233950.jpg

IMG_20170305_192027.jpg

20170414_193030.jpg

These replaced a pair of Polk Monitor 60's with no regrets. Audyssey crosses them at 100hz with no + or - level adjustment.

To do: roundoff the front edges, sand/paint/clear coat, properly damp.

I'm thinking of trying a v2 of this project. As of now the drivers are connected in series for a 16 ohm load, so option one for v2 is to biamp the drivers individually. Another option I am considering is a hybrid of this dbr cabinet but utilizing 3 drivers in each is series-parallel for a 5.4 ohm load inspired by the CHR-70 modular line array design. The third option for v2 would be a bipole version, either front/top or front/back. Any input for v2 would be appreciated. By and large I am very satisfied with these: amazing detail and great sound stage at midfield and even off axis. Bass is lacking but I am handling that with subwoofers.

Last edited:
In my experience with other MA speakers, the bass will improve as the drivers are used. They break-in over a long period of time. I'm amazed at the sound quality of MA drivers. I really have little interest in multi-ways anymore. To my ears, it's hard to beat my Frugel-horns with Alpair 7.2's. I'm anxious to hear your opinion of your CHR-70s as they break-in.
Mike

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The use of a cap across one of the series drivers only creates a 1.5 way system if you have a current amp. With a voltage amp it does not increase sensitivity but does give you twice the cone area at low frequencies (¼ the excursion) and eliminates any issue with combing. You also do not have the problem of different frequency response vrs power response.

This pdf details connections of 2 drivers and the results depending on the kind of amp as well as the formulas for initial sizing. http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/Dual-Driver-Wiring.pdf

Do note that with a cap across a series pair and a voltage amp the value is not critical (but ideally below the frequency equivalent to the ¼ wavelength of the driver center-to-centre) whereas with an inductor in series with 1 of the drivers in a parallel connection you want the Fc to be 0.707<Fbs<1 where Fbs is the baffle step width so that the 2nd driver acts as baffle-step compensation (speaker will need to be well out from the wall and power response and frequency response will be out of step).

dave

Thanks for all the input gentlemen; certainly a lot for a noobie to digest but I'm up for it.

As they sit I enjoy how they sound, but part of the human condition is always wanting something better. My experience to date has been with limited to bang for buck store bought speakers and these blow them all away. There's just something about full-range vs multi-way...kind of like FLAC vs MP3 if that makes any sense.

You might get further gains from venturing into DIY amplifiers.

I'll second that selection. Whether you want to source and assemble the amp, purchase a kit that includes all the parts, or buy the amps assembled, there are tons of options. Having great sounding speakers you built yourself and a nice amp you also built really adds something to the satisfaction.
You can start for as little as somewhere around $25 and go up from there. If your drivers are wired in parallel, you want need lots of power.
Mike

I've sat down and done some critical listening tonight. TLDR these speakers are *explitive* beautiful.

The test bed is an Onkyo TXNR-717 AVR in Pure Audio, ASUS HTPC and FLAC files, Schiit Mani Phono Preamp (even though the 717 has a phono stage), Sony PS-X6 Turntable, Ortofon Super OM40

The bass is definitely there with these monitors, just not what my ear has been spoiled to with subwoofers, equalization, etc, etc...

Started the evening out with The David Grisman Quintet on my turntable and it sounded AMAZING. After that I put on a well played copy of Eagles - One of These Nights; it was okay I guess. Moved on to a German pressing of Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and it was good but nothing to write home about. TLDR vinyl is hit and miss on this setup; I can definitely tell the difference in good and bad mixing as well as worn out records.

Moving on to FLAC files through my HTPC; the musicality is a wet dream. In honor of Lorde's new album release I cued up Pure Heroine and am still reeling.

guf said:
impressive with the Hosoi out in the main room. well done!

Thanks man...its a blast from the past. My first deck was a Hosoi.

Bigun said:
You might get further gains from venturing into DIY amplifiers.

I'm really starting to look at the mini amp thing i.e Sure Electronics on the back end of a MiniDSP AVR setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.