New 15" full range - FANE

If they get roll off after 10-13khz I'd still buy it and grin from ear to ear.

An 18" tri cone would deserve a whole new class of big box enclosure. 300 liters minimum.

... Maybe we should send them some emails. Who know's what might happen?

Edit:
Just sendt them an enquiry:
"Hello!

Just want to say I am REALLY happy with the performance of the wonderful FC152/15-300TC.
Thank you all for making this fantastic speaker!

... When is the 18" TC driver coming!? I have to know so I can plan sending off the missus long enough to build a couple 300 litre boxes for when they arrive.
Looking at what you've done with the 12-250tc and the 15-300tc, I would really buy a future 18" tc unit in a heartbeat.

Best regards
Kent
(KaffiMann in the diyaudio forum)"

Wonder what they'll reply with.

Last edited:
I think with any of these drivers the 12" tc or the 15"tc etc you don't really need a big box as per going sealed, ported, mltl etc. Just make a box near ear height, give some space for the rear wave, leave the bottom open, prop it up on legs and that should work nicely for those who can't have a massive box even though I guess it would still be largish , plus the bass will probably be better anyhow as the qtc is up there suiting OB, IB etc.. Unless you want ear bleeding levels then look at the other designs compared to a quasi OB with an open bottom ..

Last edited:
I think the 15" Fane , despite rather high qts, will play ok in the original Karlson cabinet - kinda like the old Electro-Voice SP15B (weak alnico motor) but more extended highs. That old weak speaker boomed somewhat in K15 but sounded awesome overall - bet the Fane/K15 would be fun on Nick Cave's "Murder Ballads"

here's a rough fudge using MMJ's constricted transflex fudge of an Acoustic Control 115BK K-coupler scaled 1.2X to approximate K15's bulk.

I don't know if the bandpass area "gain" would be this high (maybe)

YmmDU2l.jpg

You know, I didn't know which to choose, the 12" or the 15". I expected more treble and smoother sound from the 12. But my interest for laaaarge fullrange drivers was created by trying out 3", 4", 8" and then 10" drivers. I love the dynamics and powerhandling of a larger driver.

Hi Ivo, have you heard them in comparison to the bigger Philips FR's, like the AD12202?

I think this Fane would play "ok" in a Karlson K15
Yes!!!

That Fane drivers looks a lot like my 1957 Norelco (Philips) 12-inch driver that I had in an original 15-inch Karlson (finished in lustrous mahogany Karlsonite).

OK, the 12-inch Norelco (which today sits in my basement, looking forlorn needing a new surround) had only a single whizzer cone. But pretty similar. Alnico magnet.

Fabulous sound... for 1957.

BTW, the Karlson mounting might possibly average-out the funny Fane polar response resulting in a favourable treble output.

Always exasperating to me to see some many sims and so few measurements. Might take you 10 minutes to run REW and 5 minutes more to post. I think folks are often cowardly about exposing their real-world efforts for others to see.

B.

Last edited:
The Philips AD12202 is a very wonderful speaker, I have had several pairs. I was stupid enough to sell my first (perfect) pair. After that many followed and I unfortunately discovered that they all have an unique sound...and that unique sound is sometimes almost unpleasant.
This is the reason that I am looking for something new and following this thread..

But in the background I am still looking for the perfect pair AD12202.... Ps: in the meantime I'm having fun with my Eminence 12lta (plus tweeter).

Bob:
I don't have the "Ignore" Gene, one of my many flaws. :)
I did post somewhat unflattering no-optimization and no-eq results earlier in the thread. I even purchased the Umik solely for that purpose.

GM:
I was just looking for all the plot points. May well be 1/12th oct, but that's really impressive if it is. Doubt you'll find any specimen like that.

After over 8 months of procrastination, I finally drove 20 miles and got the Fane 15" FR pair. These were known as Fane Sovereign FC152F01TC when introduced and now these are known as Fane Sovereign 15-300TC. Mine are the former. I don't know the if both are same OR the former are 101 dB and the new ones are 99 dB.

I ran a quick Dayton Audio DATS V2 on them and these measured as 97dB and Qts of 0.93. I have been already playing the Fanes 12" FR in my 2 way Open baffle with bass complemented with 15" drivers. Now these 15" play in the same baffle and these look larger than my 15" bass drivers although the baffle cut out are just the same for both.

I think I got them cheap at $165 a pair and 8 months back these were cheaper at $138 a pair.

I have extensively played 12" Fane in OB. When comparing 15" with 12" FR in OB, keeping the line-up exactly same, I noticed the 15" Fane have much wider sweet spot than 12" and they play louder as well than 12". However to my ears the 15" sound a bit rolled off in treble. 12" has more sparkle in the top end but in a narrow sweet spot. The vocals of the 15" sounded quite a bit forward than 12". I could not compare the bass as in both 12" and 15" Fanes, the xo is 120-140Hz and it really does not matter to me.

May be 15" will take some time to break-in and sober down in midrange but should I expect them to improve in top end sparkle ? Given todays comparison, I would prefer 12" FR Fane over 15" in OB....... However given much wider sweet spot, I would prefer my Matsushita 8PW1, over both in OB.

Picture of the Fanes 15" in my experimental OB.

Screen%20Shot%202018-06-29%20at%2010.39.16%20PM_zpsvoiwiiy5.png