New 15" full range - FANE

I dont liked the low VC Re 5.2 ohms.
Though the blue line 10 dB depression at 1500Hz is very suited to Hi-Fi music in a home room, it will sound as a smooth midrange.
Any info on price?
FC-152F01TC-FQ.jpg

This frequency response for a full range solution looks indecent to me,.. at least for music and movies.. Maybe for male voice speakers this might be alright.. or as an extended range driver..

Compare with the smoother linearity of the 4" $40 datron rs-100, which extends well past 1khz(?), of this 15inch driver, and i see little to like as a full range solution but maybe efficiency and volume exists (?)
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-378-dayton-audio-rs100-4-spec-sheet-revised.pdf

I mean, i just stumbled into this thread, but i dont know that this would be useful for general application as a full range driver alone. There`s no off axis information listed, and wheres the distortion characteristic @frequency plot? I mean, if there was a tweeter alongside that could help, like the vifa xt19, which i understand can start @1khz, but what are you guys trying to net? Efficiency @80hz? 50hz to 1000hz and high volumes? Thats cool, but is not very full range to me.. Extended range though, but not full range, unless your application has a very small range to support.. Either plot; ported or unported, in the fr graph; is indecent@frequencies above 1000hz. I think you want at least a good 100hz- 5000hz for a real full range driver with moderately decent response, for say listening to music, or maybe preferably 70hz-3000hz..

So, i wouldn't call this a full range driver.. Interesting extended range maybe.

I don't think with this driver, you can cover much of the upper voice harmonic here.. Nice that it's 50hz, cool efficiency perhaps, but i'd suggest that there is probably alot of distortion and problems past 1000hz..

I'm not trying to be mean, or discredit the product, but i would call it an extended range driver, not a full range driver, and maybe i just fail to understand your objectives here, and hope you can explain. I think when most people hear full range driver, they think something that should stand between 0hz and 20,000hz, and expect more 90hz to few k, and posibly making sounds at 7kor 15k. 50hz to 1000hz is a very small range of credible sound to 20,000hz. I'm not sure how good that is for singers.. It says for church systems as a description, after a typo, which might be alright to cover much of the pastors voice, but not suited for instruments, or singers. I certainly would make sure, that if i got this full range driver; that i would accompany it with low reaching tweeter, at least if i intended to use the product for something like movies or music... like a vifa xt19
Raw Tweeter Measurements on Quasi-IEC Baffle
and run them both actively, out of a source (soundcard or something) as frequency channels, or maybe done electronically say by having eqaulizers before power amps.

I think the product might be cool, but maybe not what i would expect to call a "full range driver". But maybe suitable full range`for a limited application. Maybe a good extended range driver, with efficiency in mind. :) :knight:

If you do intend, to use this driver for some kind of music or video applications, i should suggest considering following up with an active tweeter supplement, like an xt19 which i understand can reach low down to 1000hz.

Last edited:
Too long.
I suspect this Fane 15'' are good for music til 10kHz.
If its name is full, wide or extended range it not important.
This Dayton you lynked just as others small cones FR drivers on the market have nice mid and treble, but its bass are poor or nonexistent, not to mention very poor power handling and sensitivity around 88dB or less.
They may be suited to desktop or nearfield.

Last edited:
Nigel is right.
A 12" with measured qts near .8 and fs of 65hz could be bass lacking.
Depends on music and volume levels.

It's all about alignments and loudspeaker-room interactions of course. Making evaluation hard if you are limited to one experience. But the observation is of course totally valid for your situation and your build. I have had very little luck with open baffle speakers in my current en last two living rooms. Not enough space for proper placement, many reflections, weak bass (probably lots of cancellations where you wouldn't expect them). The same drivers and baffles in other rooms sounded great.

I like this huge driver and the response looks good. Off-axis not too bad considering it's 45 degrees. Larger fullrange drivers (basically above your 3" standard tangband driver) often have off-axis curves that flop about wildly. When you do very exhaustive off-axis measurements, they alternate as it were, or there is an off-axis position that gives the most linear or most easily corrected/balanced response. Considering this is a huuuuuge driver which will need very little cone excursion to make sound, I think the trade-offs are clear and basically valid. A pretty extended response and relatively little strain while playing music. You can go for more linear, better off-axis response, etc. etc. etc., but there will always be trade-offs.

My wife told me that my little Visaton FRS5X satellites are the best little speakers I've made, in terms of detail and precision (she's not technical but plays the violin), but would I PLEASE build some over-sized and compromised big fullrange driver mid/high speakers to go with our new BiB subwoofer? She thinks for watching TV delicate detail is overrated and we could do with some slam, especially in combination with the sub.

:D

Yes, this is what it's about.

Ofcourse 2 * 12" pro drivers will have a roll off in the bass region when put in a sealed box, they are high efficiency drivers and have to be either offloaded or eq'd flat in the bass region, unless you make a ported enclosure. You can also just add more drivers but you'd still have to eq them flat.

Because it is a huge very sensitive driver with good power handling, and cone excursion will be very low even at high spl (at least if going sealed enclosure and with an xo >80hz), my assumption is that distortion will be very low. And if eq'd to be flat at listening position (most setups do require some eq anyway, at least in room), it should not have to hide from comparison with other more expensive and complicated setups.

Small drivers have other trade offs as you say, somewhat reduced dynamics can be one, somewhat increased distortion under high power levels can be another. Depends on the use and application.

I sent an email to Fane just to check availability, here's the reply:

Dear Kent,

Good Morning, thank you for your email!

This model will be in stock in the UK for the first time in September

If you contact Thomann or Blue Aran to place your order, we are now accepting backorders

Please mention that you have spoken direct to FANE

Kind Regards
Daniel

So I think I will be ordering some for myself. :)

For anyone interested:
sales@bluearan.co.uk

international@thomann.de or possibly pa@thomann.de

Last edited:
Do you have more details?
Please....

There is a thread at Zelfbouwaudio.nl about those. Very extended treble and detailed sound, EXCELLENT dispersionsion even in the treble, but limited powerhandling.

The dispersion of those satelites actually is problematic in our modernist (concrete/stucco) interior, so that's why I try things like line-arrays, horns, large drivers etc. to limit dispersion.

This new Fane 15" fullranger seems VERY interesting to me. I wonder what it would do in something like the Jensen Corner Imperial.

Reply from Bluearan:

Pricing for the new 152F01TC is due to be confirmed shortly.
As soon as we have a confirmed price from Fane it will be made live and available to purchase on our website.
Apologies on their behalf for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

So I will just keep checking bluearan from time to time, shipping from thomann might be cheaper but I think it all evens out so that bluearan might be very slightly cheaper for me all things considered.

So far it seems impossible to go any other route than matching it with 2 * parallel Fane Sovereign 12-300 per channel. Can choose between flat to 40hz at 100db/2,83V or (my preffered route) slowly rolling off to 30hz/96,74db and only 97,14DB at 40hz but with improved group delay and overall response. Most other routes are either more expensive, bigger or lower output.

For a quick-and-cheap setup, an Eminence Alpha 15A is the way to do it. I find it lacks a bit of detail, though - it's a big cone and a very weak motor. Still, you can throw an inductor at it to roll it off around 150-200Hz, and you've got an OB system capable of useful LF extension from the get-go.
The Beta-15A is better IMO. Its lower Qts would mean an amplifier with a non-zero output impedance may be required (or just use a lossy inductor) to prop the bass up a bit.
The best bass I've heard (period) was at home, a Beyma 15P1200Nd on an open baffle driven with a big amplifier and a lot of EQ. No room effects, just clean effortless bass down to 25Hz.

Of course, other drivers are available etc etc.

Chris

Hmmmm...

Kinda tempted to a couple of these, since I'll have some empty 15" cabinets lying around. They're 35L sealed boxes, so I'd expect a Qtc of around 2, for a big ol' peak around 100-150Hz.
Could be fun for a portable battery-powered system, or maybe some stage monitors.

Chris

It's gonna take a while to get them though, gonna hit september before they ship out. But that's just fine by me, give me some time to explain myself to the boss. In all fairness I've spent nothing on speakers for a couple years now. Just some cheap ebay amps otherwise, and some salvage/restoration projects that where free.

Last time I bought speaker drivers was... Maybe the Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 and the Beyma 12BR70's? So that's 2012.

Edit:
Oh! that's right, i forgot my little Seas CA17RC1 + FU10RB project last year. But still :)

Last edited: