Upcoming fullrange build help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well its time i think to build some new speakers. My current system is an OB FE167E with an Alpha 15a. Amps are PP 6B4G's. I listen to all types of music and at all levels of volume.

I would like some efficiency and some decent bass.

Some random thoughts are:

1) Radian 5208c sealed with a Ciare FXE10-2.5

Not really fullrange but heard good things on the Radian and there is a nice serial crossover for it floating around. Use the Ciare as a 0.5 way on side or back to compensate for BSC. Can get 45hz at F6 in a 1cft BR.

2) Tang Band W8-1772 sealed with the same Ciare FXE10-2.5

I really like this idea. Price will be cheaper. No crossover other than the 0.5 way and TB is cheaper.

3) Alpair. Cheaper still. 4x Alpair 12p's ? Bipole TL?

4) 15" co-axial. Probably a BSC with this? Beyma 15XA38ND. Much more expensive.

Anyways, ideas? thoughts?

Fathers day is approaching and i need to make a decision.

Thanks all!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
3) Alpair. Cheaper still. 4x Alpair 12p's ? Bipole TL?

Consider the A10p. Goes lower, has better top & mids, just won’t move as much air. Or an MTM with A12pw and A7.3/A6.2/A5.2.

A12pw-MTM-comp.jpg

dave

i just want something different thats all. Had my system for many years now and feel like building a set of different speakers. Not OB though.

how about the A10P with the 12PW?

I guess i am leaning towards Mark Audio or TB with a helper woofer instead of any BSC.

Less crossover parts the better in my mind.:)

i just want something different thats all. Had my system for many years now and feel like building a set of different speakers. Not OB though.

how about the A10P with the 12PW?

I guess i am leaning towards Mark Audio or TB with a helper woofer instead of any BSC.

Less crossover parts the better in my mind.:)

You should probably consider going 2-way, with either active or passive line level filtering. That would allow you to use your tube amp to drive the mid-tweets, and use a solid state amp to drive whatever woofer combo you decide on.

jeff

I'd say the same re the A12PW/MAOP7 MTMs posted above

edit: while fewer parts in a speaker level XO might seem desirable, sometimes a higher parts count simply works better - albeit when running into the lower hundreds of Hz, the cost can add up.

I've heard the TB W8-1772, and it was certainly less hurtful to my ears than almost any Lowther, and a couple of Fostex I've come across.

Last edited:
Led to building a custom standmount version (deeper & less tall) for a client in Vancouver (who happily uses them FR).

MK12pwxwT-SM.jpg

Dave, those are beautiful! What kind of wood/veneer is on the front of those? I have a pair of 10.3 and am debating several enclosures - most likely will go with FHXL.

I have yet to hear a box speaker come close to any decent OB...

...but P10's speakers do...

Great sounding, and a very good value. They work well with SS and tubes (just not "super" with my 1.4W/ch SET flea-amp). The only commercial speaker I know that could compare to it are the KEF LS50s (my nephew has a pair). They are similar in size. The KEFs require good amplifiers capable of some current to sound good. But they are not perfect. Most forget that the amp/speaker system is just that...a system. It should be considered as one.

I've never heard a frugelhorn, but they are apparently very good too. (I convinced a new family member to get a flat pack set from P10 and he is very happy with them)

As Dave and Scott(mouse) often collaborate on designs, either can give you a design that is worthy of building and at quite a reasonable cost.

Can the bookshelf sized speakers provide everything you need? Perhaps. I know the Fonken prime enclosures do for me, depending on understanding the speaker/amplifier system AND your room AND your listening biases AND how loud you would like the loudspeakers to ultimately play. But this is no more an issue than buying commercially produced loudspeakers and electronics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.