How to design wall mounted speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

I was thinking of re-using my TB w5-2106 to wall mounted speakers. They are now in open baffle but after moving I ran out of space for OBs.

I think I am aiming for something small and use a sub to compliment. Is there something to take in to consideration on wall mounted? Different baffle step compensation?

Also I haven't tried designing any speakers in a long time so I could take some suggestions on what program to use. Unless someone already has a good idea on what size would work with those TBs.

BR,
Ossi

Or something like Jordan shows here, just use a single driver and a smaller enclosure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 9.46.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 9.46.22 AM.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Thanks for great links.

I think I'll start with simple sealed design. What software would you suggest to use ?

I am thinking of making it wall art with some printed cloth on it. I think something shalllow that would match acoustic panel sizes. I could then hide them quite nicely.

-ossi

I modified my earlier folded TL stereo wall mount speaker to be a MLTL by adding a constrictor vent. The bass response is much better now. I did not do a full sim, I just ran WinISD to calculate a BR vent based on volume and added the vent at the end of the line. The TL has stuffing in the first 2/3rds and now reaches down into the 50 Hz region with tight punchy bass (see freq response of vent before and after constrictor vent was added).

How does it sound? It sounds great! Very nice office/bedroom speaker and gets quite loud with good stereo separation considering the drivers are about 2 ft apart. Once decorated with a painting or poster, it will blend right in. The bass is very good due to wall loading and of course, no BSC is needed.

So I took this from the foam core thread because I want to build something similar. Hopefully XRK can chime in, maybe tell me if my idea is do-able or not.

I currently have in my living room a pair of 3L BR cabinets with M3N's and I'm quite happy with them, but I would like to try something a little different. A wall mounted sort of FAST. I have some ND105's and would like to use them for a little bass reinforcement. Very happy with the M3N's, but would like a little more on the bottom.

I have a wall space space about 5' wide, and can go about 18" in height. Does it make sense to possibly do a MLTL with the ND105's and have a separate enclosure within the enclosure for the M3N? I also have some B3n's, and would also be willing to try a TC9FD. I am using a Lepai 2020 now, can use two, or I also have a PE plate/sub amp that I could run both 105's on. Is this possible or am I crazy?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The M3N and ND105 are kind of the same thing - sort of 3in to 4in full range/mid bass. You could use the MD105 as the full range on a fast but you need at least N 8in for bass duties. I think a PS95-8 might give more detail and less ringing prone onaluminum cones. For FAST just use sealed forbthe top. BR for woofer is fine.

The ND actually has output more like a 6" mid bass, and it won't do well as a FR. The M3N is a little relaxed on top, but I'm in my 50's so that's not really an issue, and I like their midrange. I guess my question is, would it be ok to build a wall mount in a two way like this, or should I just mount the ND's in a separate cabinet?

They will be used mostly for TV and occasionally music, not loud. I wanted to build something that it out of the way and doesn't look like speakers sitting on the floor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.