New (to me) Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For very many years I have wanted to try horn speakers but finances and W.A.F. did not permit this.
This week I obtained a pair of Jericho horns to try.
These are bare cabinets (MDF) so I have fitted Fostex Fe 206 drivers.

Listening today for the first time is interesting.
There is less bass than with my old speakers but mids and top are super clean. Top end is not over bright (or my old ears don't go up there!)

The 206s are brand new and the cabs have no wadding and no baffle step filter.
I am enjoying them now and will give them time to settle in before deciding about alterations.
Amp is a Pass F6 built standard.:)

Amp is a Pass F6 built standard.:)

Frankly.. that amp deserves MUCH better.
Where it will Gob smack you with it's abilities.
Full rangers with V few exceptions simply aren't accurate or detailed enough to reproduce the nuances and dynamics the FW routinely outputs
Nelson uses Tannoys in Jensen Imperial boxes... as example.
He finds these reveal even the tiniest of amp topology changes.

FWIW, the Fostex FE range needs some serious break-in to get them sounding their best.

I left my FE126s running up to 4mm p/p cone travel for 10 hours at a time (while I was out during the day) and found they were much more listenable after a week of that.

Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the Fostex FE range needs some serious break-in to get them sounding their best.

Many Full Range drivers need serious break-in to get to their best. The whizzer cone drivers also usually benefit from adding phase plugs.

59.jpg

FE206eN^2

dave

The speakers have about 20 hours on them now. Already I can hear them improving. They seem to be slightly more mellow and bass is extending. All good signs.
I have looked at phase plugs but I am holding off from any alterations until I can hear how they develop.
I don't think I need a baffle step filter as the sound seems to fit very well with the sort of music I listen to which is a lot of female vocal and folk.
I am very pleased with them at the moment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.