Less Fatigue from TangBand W4-1320SIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I'm running these in bipolar mode, TL line.

I find them kind of hard to listen to. One driver is the drivers size above the other to allow the port hole out of the TL out the back. Behind each driver I'm using some nice denim insulation to dampen internal pressures.

But they're just fatiguing. You have to listen to them off-axis for sure, that's fine.

I'm thinking I've got 94db, why not 91db if I tried a 4ohm mills resistors inline to dampen the thing a little, maybe smooth out that FR and such.

Also was thinking the average sensitivity of 88db is approximately correct for the midrange, but after 1k it starts to climb a bit. What about a parallel 16ohm resistors and 9uf cap?

Any which way you spin it, it's hard on the ears now. It sounds good, and the bass is pretty incredible actually, but not in love with the sound yet.

Last edited:
That's funny, some reviews on Parts-Express regarding this driver mention it is warm sounding... and high frequencies fall quite early. So, a BSC might not be ideal here.

A single resistor will not alter the FR. Others mention this driver needs a notch filter at 7kHz. That might be the reason they are "hurting" your ears, that peak at 7kHz.

I'm not a fan of denim insolation either.

What is wrong with denim insulation? It has the best coefficients.

I could try a 7khz notch filter but I don't think that's it...

I read those reviews. My assumption is they have high inductance speaker cables. When I twisted the internal wires of the speakers it became harder on the ears...

Sorry, I missed the word "insulation"... I thought you meant you layered some denim cloth... I guess I'm not completely awake here!

You could take the guessing out of the equation if you have a mic and make some measurements.

Last edited:
On a basic microphone it looked pretty normal (non-calibrated). My goal isn't to have this be an audiophile speaker, so much as a lifestyle speaker.

I wouldn't recommend using a stage mic to measure stuff. I've measured a lot of them, and found two that are fairly close to flat (Beyerdynamic M67 and a AT3035). The rest are all over the place in a way that's helpful for stage use, but makes them useless for measuring things.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.