Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Custom DIY 8" Fullrange Driver
Custom DIY 8" Fullrange Driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2017, 04:16 PM   #1
ghemml is offline ghemml  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default FA80 Fullrange

As new 6.5" field coil design pending numerous fabrication from my workshop.

So I decide to carry on with my 8" full range design and fabrication.

Click the image to open in full size.

Do note, FEMM is using N40 for simulation. But actual magnet grade is a N45, I should get about +0.3T more to the values i got from FEMM. Wouldn't get significant increase in guass using N45, probably due to fact that steel permeability reaching its limits.

Folding the cone, winding the voice coil.

Pheonlic Dampers

What a nightmare to assemble those magnets onto the motor.... the end results----->

Last edited by ghemml; 16th September 2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 31st May 2017, 04:29 PM   #2
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Good work! Picture showing magnets incomplete

//
Old 31st May 2017, 04:50 PM   #3
theaudiopath is offline theaudiopath  Australia
diyAudio Member

Haha know those scars all too well. Hurts doesn't it! Welcome to Neodymium world. A world of overcaution & PAIN!
Nice looking motor BTW.

Last edited by theaudiopath; 31st May 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 31st May 2017, 05:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Good work! Picture showing magnets incomplete

//
Sorry, argh...I hate photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudiopath View Post
Haha know those scars all too well. Hurts doesn't it! Welcome to Neodymium world. A world of overcaution & PAIN!
Nice looking motor BTW.
Thanks, it is a very painful experience
Old 31st May 2017, 07:21 PM   #5
ICG is online now ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Any measurements yet? How much excursion/overhang/underhang?

You've put the leads on to the opposite side of the cone joint, which is nice for the balance. It would be better though, if the leads would be a lot closer to the VC, that reduces unsymmetrical forces/movements within the cone, especally with very low losses surround.
Old 1st June 2017, 04:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
Any measurements yet? How much excursion/overhang/underhang?

You've put the leads on to the opposite side of the cone joint, which is nice for the balance. It would be better though, if the leads would be a lot closer to the VC, that reduces unsymmetrical forces/movements within the cone, especally with very low losses surround.
No measurements available yet, i am still in the process of assembling them. One more motor assembly to go, and it is going to be a pain to do that.

But for starter I will do up the TS parameters measurements and post up here. Followed by building the enclosure and frequency response.

To be honest i never reinvented the wheel, i simply looked at lowther, AER, Feastrex, Voxativ... Etc as a base guide towards my design.

But the key features of my fullrange is, phenolic dampers and paper VC.
Old 1st June 2017, 09:01 AM   #7
krakatoa is offline krakatoa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Congratulations for making the step most diy-ers don't make!
What really strikes me about the design is the fact that manufacturers can't make a good 5" unit (cone is usually too deep for good dispersion) but a home made driver with basically just a piece of paper can make a 8" unit with a very wide cone... presumably stable cone. Is that paper very special? (doubt it)
Old 1st June 2017, 10:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks, the paper i used is mostly made in Japan or Thailand. I been testing quite a few paper like hemp and Mulberry, just to find out how they perform.

I do agree some fullrange cone's angle are quite narrow, giving it like a horn effect. But beside this the VC former material also greatly impact the sound quality.
Old 1st June 2017, 05:45 PM   #9
Xaborus is offline Xaborus  United States
diyAudio Member

Good measurements or not, this is an incredible beauty!
Old 1st June 2017, 06:56 PM   #10
krakatoa is offline krakatoa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghemml View Post
Thanks, the paper i used is mostly made in Japan or Thailand. I been testing quite a few paper like hemp and Mulberry, just to find out how they perform.

I do agree some fullrange cone's angle are quite narrow, giving it like a horn effect. But beside this the VC former material also greatly impact the sound quality.
Horns - reminds me of how the +800$ SEAS Exotic X1-08 has it's wizzer shaped (anybody at Seas heard about offaxis response?)... again something tells me designers of cones are narrow minded because in this age of computers and materials and simulations and high potential for good control quality people are still looking back at designs from the vintage Altec era; Fostex has those weird shapes on the Sigma series - don't know for sure - but most likely to stabilize cone and in the case of larger cones (6.5" & 8" Sigma series) to get rid of wizzer cones... not really high tech at the end of the day... speaker drivers have 10-15 parts from which only one is moving??? how hard can it be to make a fullrange driver that can do it (the full range act) be large enough to play the low notes, good dispersion for the highs and to play with high fidelity? I don't believe any claims that it's impossible or extremely hard... I believe it's within grasp of DIY-ers - why? because its just a cone! there are no other difficult parts... we live in a world were people are building at home rockets and airplanes and cars and what not... and a piece of paper would somehow be hard to get right? no way! At the price of some of the drivers out there you could buy the machines to build one and even some testing equipments etc etc.
What I'm talking in general about is that there seems to be a general lack of will from the manufacturers to get it right... Fostex sells a bunch of drivers in the WK series with a 10 db peak in the 5-7khz region - that must be ok with them otherwise somebody in some office in Japan would have rejected that (those) cone for not being good enough- and say to the developing team "NO! go back and make it right this time! nobody wants a 10 db peak in the middle of a listening experience!".

Custom DIY 8" Fullrange DriverHide this!Advertise here!