Custom DIY 8" Fullrange Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've wanted to make my own DRIVERS for about 45 years now! This absolutely gives me inspiration, though even if I do it what I make is unlikely to be this good.
Any measurements yet? How much excursion/overhang/underhang?

You've put the leads on to the opposite side of the cone joint, which is nice for the balance. It would be better though, if the leads would be a lot closer to the VC, that reduces unsymmetrical forces/movements within the cone, especally with very low losses surround.
I've always wondered about that. I've seen at least one driver with the leads on opposite sides of the VC. The leads and connection on the cone definitely add some points of mass on the cone, making its mass non-uniform, which is surely detrimental.

Thanks.

I must say, it is very difficult to measure small gauge wires DCR. The thin ends contacts makes it very difficult to crimp with crocs clips and I always end up values that are not constant :(
Make each end a little longer, scrape the insulation off and solder to larger wires that the alligator clips can easily grab onto. After measuring, you can cut the solder ends off, and do the rest of your assembly.

Make each end a little longer, scrape the insulation off and solder to larger wires that the alligator clips can easily grab onto. After measuring, you can cut the solder ends off, and do the rest of your assembly.

It is still quite difficult, any small amount of extra enamel wire gives extra ohms :(

ghemml,

Congratulations on getting your drivers to the audio show.

How did you find the interest around single wide-band driver speakers?

What sort of cabinet do you the drivers in (e.g. bass-reflex or other).

Thanks.

Yes it is a bass reflex, I did design a slightly more fancy vintage box which is also a bass reflex. But the finished product came in later. Mostly I concentrate on speaker driver design and fabrication, less on enclosure

IMG_20171127_224118.jpg
IMG_20171127_224157.jpg

A sample of the phenolic surround which i had laser cut recently from the leftover material.

It will be fun to test out how well they perform compared to conventional surrounds like foam or rubber.

My new custom built field coil 8" fullrange. Just only completed the testing on the electromagnet on 12vdc, will need see if I could get a enclosure for this driver for other measurements.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
As far as it can be judged from the recorded files....sounds great!
What is the first track/artist?

I've Got to See You Again by Halie Loren

SoundHound - I'''ve Got to See You Again by Halie Loren

Beautiful work and craftsmanship. Keep posting. Would like to see measurements. Did you think about to make a roll on the wizzer like Lowther or Supravox?

I had posted the measurements before, probably u can scroll back a few pages from here.

Don't really understand by roll, do you mean the edge folding like what is done on lowther?

Found them. Thnx.

Yes. To make edge more rigid.

I had thought of it, but not by folding it. Just a rounded edge.

Still haven't figured it out how to do that yet.

Sounds good to me!

Do you have any EQ or passive notches/BSC with them playing?

There is a simple baffle step, enclosure is a bass reflex with not a very wide width.

If need to avoid baffle step, I will probably use a much weaker motor

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.