Has anyone seen these Dayton Audio PS65LP-4 6-1/2" Ultra Efficient

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Shows what can be done with aluminum wire, neo magnets, and modern cone materials. Impressive 100Hz efficiency for a 6-1/2. Although, for the strong dip at 10kHz, it's hard to imagine that the fancy cone neck shape and phase plug are doing exactly what is intended. I wonder what mods can be done.

Wow what a great dispersion control for a 6.5" fullrange cone! Show me different driver with such a dispersion. What is more, good xmax and Vd capabilities, shallow depth and nice overall T-S bundle for small boxes. Aside from efficiency this driver will bring new possibilities for clever designers.

This dip is irrelevant for active system where efficiency is secondary issue. After bogging down crazy efficient midrange system as a whole still have a chance being 87-90 dB efficient yelding much lower midrange distortion and power requirements (compression). I mainly see this driver as suitable for DSP system w/o spoiling its coherency and dispersion with any supertweeter. Lack of any crossovers, phase wrapping, distance relations, time aligning and dividing sound for discrete drvers with different dispersion and different nonlinear characteristics in critical midrange is appealing. Crossed at 100-250 Hz with decent woofer section it has a chance to play exceptionally well.

Last edited:
selling weaknesses as strengths - 1 inch coil invites burnout

Ouch I haven't spotted that... This is price to pay for 6,0 gram light cone and deffinitely a drawback for majority of active applications. I have learned a bit that strong motor, decent Xmax and VC thermal endurance are very important for active designs unless one will implement big and efficient cabinets. And it seems this driver wants very small box, and deffinitely not for <100Hz applications.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Notice the rating is 99 db with 2.83 volts into 4 ohms.
So it is 99db with two watts. Still it is almost as efficient as you can get with a 6.5 inch driver.

In other words, it's 99dB with 2W or 96dB with 1W. Realistically seen it's a LOT less. You have to look at the response:

attachment.php

In the mids, there's 95dB/2W or 93dB/1W and that's what you actually can use. That's still very loud but nowhere near the sensationally proclaimed 99dB! And with 93dB in mind, there are other options aswell. The price is reasonable though.

Um, did anyone notice the huge (over 15dB) dip at 10kHz in the frequency response?

You could fill that if the driver was used in an active system. I could see this as a nice mid-tweeter in an MTM system crossed over at 600Hz. That would also keep the resonance at 450Hz out of the passband...

Yes, I've seen the dip. Well, for a midrange I think the membrane material isn't that ideal, it's polypropylene. Sure, very good dampening and that makes it probably quite easy to handle with the crossover but I've so far never heard to a PP cone driver I've liked very much in the mids. Paper cones usually sound more detailed and lively, at least that's what I usually prefer. Maybe they would convince me if I had the chance to listen to them though.

Attachments

• PS65LP-4 6.5.jpg
    PS65LP-4 6.5.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,489
What a nice piece of scrap iron...:D

Efficiency? About 85dbs after proper tons of Eq...:scratch:

And for a wannabe full ranger, worst possible power response anytime anywhere and for decades...

The designer must be a total newbee, or the son of the owner, things that might happen in the best families...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• junkdriver.png
    junkdriver.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.