Has anyone seen these Dayton Audio PS65LP-4 6-1/2" Ultra Efficient

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, that's what I get for only looking at the specs pdf :( Still, it should have been listed in their mobile audio and not home HIFI category.

Anyway, it makes sense now, what with typical cabin gain it may not need any bass boost [sure wouldn't in my short cab PU] and being designed for way off axis door panel mounting, the rest of the BW makes for a good baseline response.

GM

look at the green trace in my graph below - that's a whizzer-cone $10 Boss BRS65 car speaker with poly cone

x1bh3EQ.gif

Just ordered a pair, along with Faital 4fe32 4ohms and Visaton BG 13 P, to be tested on this project:

Got recipes for ACTIVE + OB + FAST ?

Can't wait to hear the results!

Despite some bad comments in this thread about this PS65LP, i think there is some massive potential...
I mean, 93db (with real 1w/1m) from as low as 200hz for a driver that can go to 20khz, what's not to like ? That's pure FAST material right there.

Last edited:
It’s not a bad sounding driver. Just know it’s really a circa 91dB driver. Sounds a bit “lively” and great for a top to a FAST for a party.

"lively", I'm assuming that is from the treble hump starting around 1k? I was looking at some different poly drivers because the FR seems to "break" and roll of on its own at a certain point, probably because of the materials inherent damping. It would seem to work well with a simple crossover and ribbon. The stamped rear mount frame on this driver is a definite negative.

Been using these in a 3-way nude above 800hz first order crossover. 2x18 ported per side up to 150hz, 2x15 nude per side above 150hz.

In an average home setup these can be used lower. Dispersion is really quite good. With dsp they easily cover the entire mid-range up to 18-20khz.

Great mid/tweeter solution.

Last edited:
Been using these in a 3-way nude above 800hz first order crossover. 2x18 ported per side up to 150hz, 2x15 nude per side above 150hz.

In an average home setup these can be used lower. Dispersion is really quite good. With dsp they easily cover the entire mid-range up to 18-20khz.

Great mid/tweeter solution.

How are the highs? Are they "soggy" or clear? Dayton seems to have figured out how to create a 6.5" full range with almost constant directivity. Impressive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.