Benefits of a TL-TQWT over a MLTL? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2017, 06:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Benefits of a ML-TQWT over a MLTL?

Not many recent ML TQWT builds, but for drivers with an Fs around 45hz the line length is suitable, not too long.
Am i right in thinking the main advantage is an increase in SPL, seeing as its a type of (mass loaded)horn?

Last edited by Bill poster; 19th May 2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

An ML-horn (or what GM and I describe as such, although it seems we are dinosaurs) has a broader gain BW than an untapered ML pipe, so that may be useful for some drivers with a higher mass corner frequency.

If you will excuse me, I am now off to amiably masticate some tree-tops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brontosaurus.jpg (27.1 KB, 260 views)
Old 18th May 2017, 08:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry be a dinosnore but what's BW?
Old 18th May 2017, 08:59 PM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

BW=Bandwidth?
Old 18th May 2017, 09:04 PM   #5
drewan is offline drewan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

BW? i don't know but I do know I love small TQWTs, My intro to diyaudio was a faital pro 4fe35 in a MH audio site designed TQWT. They still astonish me how good they are... and for £24.....2 yrs ago. I like broccoli too!
Old 18th May 2017, 09:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
BW=Bandwidth?
Right.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:48 PM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Not many recent ML TQWT builds, but for drivers with an Fs around 45hz the line length is suitable, not too long.
Am i right in thinking the main advantage is an increase in SPL, seeing as its a type of (mass loaded)horn?
If one breaks down the range of usable T/S specs for vented alignments into three segments, then low[er] Qts drivers that require an acoustically small cab [Vb] with a long vent could be morphed into an inverse tapered TQWT to get a sufficiently long, large vent area [Av]; then conversely, an expanding, vented [mass loaded] ML-TQWT [I like to define them as ML-horns] will work well for high[er] Qts drivers that require a large [Vb] with a short, large [Av], leaving the simple constant [straight] tapered ML-TL to cover the ~0.31-0.52 Qts range where a ~0.4 Qts yields a Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs alignment.

Of course any of these pipe alignments can be used over the entire range of Qts if the needs of the app [or personal preference] dictates it, so strictly a guideline.

GM
Old 18th May 2017, 11:38 PM   #8
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

GM,

Greets!

If I understand correctly - a mid-woofer with following specs would be a candidate for a Inverse tapered TQWT?

Fs - 30 Hz
Qts - 0.27
Qms - 4.90
Qes - 0.29
Sd - 95 cm²
Vas - 27.4

Designs I have come across using this driver are usually small bass-reflex boxes (12-15 liters) and longish vents (~8").

If this driver were used in a TQWT, what would the box dimensions be like, and in terms of bandwidth gains, what can we expect vs the smallish BR cabinets?
Old 19th May 2017, 02:01 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You can also use ML-TL vrs ML-Voigt to change the aspect of the box. Scott did an ML-TL for us to use as a woofT for the uFonkenSET.

Click the image to open in full size.

That performed so well, i wanted to do a FAST with the same FF85wKeN but with 4 woofers per side. Also, inspired by the KEF blades i wanted the woofers to be above & below the midTweeter. This required a taller box, so i had Scott do an ML-V for it. On the left (Bernie has since skinned them in Yew, but we are still detailing them), next to the FH3.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 19th May 2017, 03:09 AM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

The mini Karlsonator thread has lots of ML TQWT builds as of late if you look in the thread. I am guessing maybe 50 happy builders of the mini (or larger) Karlsonators - a super versatile GregB design. Works very well with moderate Qts drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!