Just when I thought I was out... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2017, 10:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just when I thought I was out...

FR pulls me back in. I've been listening to 2ways for a while now and have even been learning to design my own. Just for kicks I set up my small chr70 monitors that have been stashed aside and right away that coherent thing got me. Unfortunately the chr and Mark audio drivers although great have a presentation that isn't to my taste and also I want good low end for my classic rock. So I'm thinking FAST with passive crossover. And I've ordered tb w4-2142 based on comparing various YouTube videos and the xrk comparisons.

Any other suggestions for a smooth driver for say 300hz and up that can handle rock as well as jazz classical etc?

Last edited by wushuliu; 24th April 2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 24th April 2017, 10:23 PM   #2
jjcarr is offline jjcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

You might consider the FH XL, it goes very low as long as your room isn't too big.
Old 24th April 2017, 10:35 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pardon the brain fart - you may have elaborated before, but which MA drivers other than the CHR70s have you heard? They don't all sound the same, and to be completely honest, the current CHR70.3 is not quite my cuppa either - but I find the A7.3 and A10P quite easy to live with, and for a FAST, the A6P might be worth consideration.

Brands / models without Fenlon DNA that I've quite liked are the FF85 and 105WK, FE103SOL - I can imagine the 108 would be excellent - and the TB W4 1879. FWIW, as "smuv" as it is, I found the 1611 a bit too dark in the top couple of octaves.

jj - I think he's already planning a multi-way FAST, and as much as I quite like the XLs in the right room, he might want the bottom end balls that a two way can deliver in spades.

Last edited by chrisb; 24th April 2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 24th April 2017, 11:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I can only recommend what I always recommend re a "full range" driver and that's the Jordan Eikona. I have varied musical taste covering all you mention and more and they handle it all very well
Old 25th April 2017, 12:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Pardon the brain fart - you may have elaborated before, but which MA drivers other than the CHR70s have you heard? They don't all sound the same, and to be completely honest, the current CHR70.3 is not quite my cuppa either - but I find the A7.3 and A10P quite easy to live with, and for a FAST, the A6P might be worth consideration.

Brands / models without Fenlon DNA that I've quite liked are the FF85 and 105WK, FE103SOL - I can imagine the 108 would be excellent - and the TB W4 1879. FWIW, as "smuv" as it is, I found the 1611 a bit too dark in the top couple of octaves.

jj - I think he's already planning a multi-way FAST, and as much as I quite like the XLs in the right room, he might want the bottom end balls that a two way can deliver in spades.
Hi Chris, it's been so long I had to google myself to find out what MA drivers I owned. I cycled through the Alpair 12 (Gen 1), 10.2, 6M, 6P (gen 1?), 7.3, and CHR 70.1 and .3. And EL70. My favorite was the EL70. All the MA drivers shared a kind of scratchy quality beneath the music. Hard to describe. Great low level detail, though. So I'm looking to branch out. I've got a lot of caps and inductors and basic measuring gear, so passive won't be a problem.
Old 25th April 2017, 02:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You'll also need to match the full range with the right woofer below.

What are you looking for there? A nice big 15" or a micro 6.5" bass driver?
Old 25th April 2017, 02:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
You'll also need to match the full range with the right woofer below.

What are you looking for there? A nice big 15" or a micro 6.5" bass driver?
Yeah. I have several 8inchers: RS225-8, SB23PFC-4, Vifa NE225-8 (though I may be selling those). The SB23 will likely be the easiest to deal with and its 92.5db gives some room to keep efficiency from getting too low. At around 87/88db the others would match better with less sensitive FR. So there's some flexibility.
Old 25th April 2017, 02:56 AM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

And of course if you opt for any of the several methods of bi-amping, the relative sensitivity of drivers is almost moot.

That said, my current favourite main system is a FAST - using all MA drivers and a properly designed passive XO.

Last edited by chrisb; 25th April 2017 at 03:00 AM.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Wushu, I'm currently running the Fostex FE108 Sol high passed around with about 150uF and running the Scanspeak 32w on the bottom low passed second order. The crossover is loosely based on Jeff Bagby's crossover for the Continuum speaker, so the crossover point is around 200Hz or so. Seems to sum quite nicely with a ton of punch and dynamics. The only hitch is that the 108 is mounted in a scaled down Karlsonator without the front curtains and knocked down a few db. I did try the smaller FE83 Sol and FE88ES, but did not scale as well; the mids sounded a bit thin (probably needs to be crossed higher).
Old 25th April 2017, 01:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakaz View Post
Wushu, I'm currently running the Fostex FE108 Sol high passed around with about 150uF and running the Scanspeak 32w on the bottom low passed second order. The crossover is loosely based on Jeff Bagby's crossover for the Continuum speaker, so the crossover point is around 200Hz or so. Seems to sum quite nicely with a ton of punch and dynamics. The only hitch is that the 108 is mounted in a scaled down Karlsonator without the front curtains and knocked down a few db. I did try the smaller FE83 Sol and FE88ES, but did not scale as well; the mids sounded a bit thin (probably needs to be crossed higher).
Is that 150uf in series with the fostex?

Hide this!Advertise here!