Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!
I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2017, 09:49 AM   #1
matt scarlett is offline matt scarlett
diyAudio Member

Default I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!

I've got to get rid of my Monitor Audio's, there atrocious!

Coming from a car audio background, my initial reaction is to look at a simply use of coaxial speakers, Morel Tempo, Hybrid Audio Mirus, maybe play around with a pair of 6x9's ... you get the idea. However, remembering what PWK did with the Fostex FE103 driver, I'm warming up to the idea of utilising a pair of full-range drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIwZjJanXag&t=4s

I've been watching some Tang Band W5-1611SAF and Tang Band W5-2143 drivers (loudspeakerfreaks has just had a price drop on the W5-2143!), maybe the Fostex FE103, Dayton RS 100

My listening preferences
usually run to music like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX4kVf5KbOY .... and yes I know that a full-rnage might not be the natural choice, however I just want to say in my audio enthusiast lifetime that; I did it!

My budget, i want to keep it at around 50-60 per driver, if not less. I've considered the likes of the Peerless TC9FD18-08 which is only 12.88 per unit, and yes i would consider a 3.5" https://loudspeakerfreaks.com/Produc...oduct_ID=10936

Enclosure? well ... i'm a t-line enthusiast http://transmissionlinedesigns.wordpress.com/, but i'm thinking of something a bit more unique (i'm going to get on google sketch up now)

What i'm not good at is crossovers or in the case of filtering, i'm not up on notch filters and the like. Any advice, drivers that I might not have considered, taking my music preferences into account?

Last edited by matt scarlett; 22nd April 2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:08 AM   #2
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

If you wanted to be REALLY naughty......you'd go OB (naked!)

My first experiment with OB was with car coaxials ironically.......
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:09 AM   #3
anji12305 is offline anji12305  United States
diyAudio Member

A pair of older Sequerra metronome would yield a lively wideband pair. L Cao makes a 6.5" /16.5cm paper driver that is just beyond your budget.

Search "beaming" and sensitivity regarding limitations of wideband drivers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
If you wanted to be REALLY naughty......you'd go OB (naked!)

My first experiment with OB was with car coaxials ironically.......
Thanks for the suggestion. Been there, seen it, done it, and yes OB with a pair of car audio speakers or full-range speakers, is on my mind.

https://surfandsound.wordpress.com/2...ffle-speakers/

But i'm thinking of a t-line soundbar type design at the moment. I did also run my Morel Tempo 6 coaxials OB before purchasing the Monitor Audio BX2's. And for some reason I got rid of the Morel's. Why did I do that

Last edited by matt scarlett; 22nd April 2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anji12305 View Post
A pair of older Sequerra metronome would yield a lively wideband pair. L Cao makes a 6.5" /16.5cm paper driver that is just beyond your budget.

Search "beaming" and sensitivity regarding limitations of wideband drivers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sequerra Online Home
Met 7.7 Mk. V PRICE AND PURCHASE INFORMATION

Price: US$ 850.00 (per pair).

I was thinking more $85 than $850
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

By older, I mean secondhand​ or "used".
In North America a donor pair is at your budget. I can't speak to European prices. It's a sturdy motor driving a simple paper cone.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:23 AM   #7
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I use Jordan VTL, the driver is over your budget but the enclosure might be of interest and useful for a different driver http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/PDFs/Eikona_2_VTL.pdf

Sorry didn't clock the soundbar bit........oh well.....good luck!

Last edited by scottjoplin; 22nd April 2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Personally, I would seek out a Bastanis OB that need not be shipped, but that's beyond your stated budget.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:27 AM   #9
FirstOff is offline FirstOff  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I've never had a listen to them, but for something that produces a lot of bass and go reasonably loud for that kind of music, a pair of Wild Burro Betsy-K in an MLTL could get you there. There's a build called the WIBAQ, an MLTL based on the TABAQ (which I have built). It's tuned for an F3 of 35Hz. It's pretty big though, and not exotic or anything like a pure T-line. The drivers don't look that pretty either, and being 8-inch they would be quite directional.

The Betsy with the higher Qts is also quite a popular choice for full-range OB.

It costs around 90 a pair for the K (not including shipping).
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Konzentr8 is offline Konzentr8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the M A 's you don't like specifically?

I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!Hide this!Advertise here!