I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
matt,

What I am proposing is that two separate chambers built into one enclosure. Each driver will have their own cabinet. If you want to go by your concept of both drivers sharing the same line, then additional complexities will very likely arise.

Stereo separation... hmmm... that would be difficult to comment on in your application. One idea is build two test boxes, lay them on the sides. Play around with the distance/position and see what you like. Once you finalize, take measurements and either build a brand new box or join the two test boxes to make it into one enclosure. The two chambers need not be adjacent - depending on how wide you end up placing the drivers, there might be some dead space between them.

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm understanding what you're getting at. For me, it's still a concept in particular, using a t-line instead of a bass reflex or the like. All this at the moment is a concept, so things can be changed and adjusted, even the like of how much toe-in I need etc can be worked out.

But my statement still stands: i want to blast my type of music and annoy a few audiophiles:):eek::cool::devilr:

I know a t-line might not be the best set up for this, but I still want to give it a try.

IDK. I was thinking to use the full 48" width that comes with a bog standard MDF sheet. I'll have to get the cuts done at the yard, as I don't have a workshop at t moment. Not to take anything away from the local timber yard, but i know the cuts aren't going to be millimetre accurate. So my third concept is something like this.

soundbar-transmission-line-for-full-range-speakers-or-coaxial-car-audio-speakers1.jpg

Mmm, not sure, I know damping/stuffing of the line used to be done by ear. My TL is completely undamped and I think more are like that these days, hopefully someone with more knowledge/experience with that will pipe up.....

Given the PWK video, I know it can be done without, but I also like the simplicity of the damping used in that Fostex 206 design. But yes, i know it's a matter of testing with your ear ... and a bit of measuring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6mTmsyl0vA&t=233s

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...very-good-full-range-speaker.html#post4196191

I got the CHN-70 Mark's. They sounded great in my first t-line build, However i wanted a more prominent bass response, and so I've now got them in a straight t-line enclosures (plural because i went with a conventional 2 speaker stereo set up), and the bass has increased, however it's totally unbalanced in favour of the mid-highs, and the bass is somewhat masked.

All in all my second effort hasn't really worked! I'm wondering if another tapered design would be better. TBH, i never really had that much success with straight t-lines. I always felt tapered was the better way to go! But I love the Mark's. Boy do they get loud considering their relatively low efficiency in comparison to a regular two-way set up. I'd like to do more, but a lack of workshop and resources means i'm having to wait right now.

Last edited:
Matt - there at are at least half a dozen well proven designs by DaveD and Scott Lindgren for every model in the Mark Audio line - many of which are far less complex internally than either that you’ve posted so far. I’ve even built a couple;) of them myself.
The best bass I’ve got so far from the CHN70 is with a pair per side in the Castle Microtower- a very simple square cross section bottom vented pipe, with one driver mounted on top angled forward at 10dg. They still will run out of steam at much above 90dB average SPL when driven full range in a larger room. I’m driving them and a pair of 8” woofers in a bi-amped set up crossed over at 250 or so with Sure 4 channel amp- putatively rated at 100w- in an open floor plan living /dining room kitchen - probably effectively 600sq ft.

I saw and downloaded Scott Lindgren's presentation videos a while back YouTube

For me half the fun is designing and discovering myself for good or for bad. However, thank you for introducing a new design concept to me re; Castle Microtower. Veeeery interesting enclosure design. microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

The other problem is still a lack of resources at the moment, and I'm designing my boxes out of card board at home. Not ideal/perfect but fun nonetheless! I thought of trying a true tubular design. Just limited by what i can do at the moment, but working towards getting a bit of workspace come the spring.

matt - not such a "new" concept really - this particular family was in homage to what started out as a stupidly big bang for the buck design by EPI in the mid 70's - a time when both Dave & I "cut our teeth" in the retail trade. I'm not sure how many pairs of the original MT1 / 75s Dave might have sold, but CAV Electronics in Victoria went through truckloads of them. If I never hear Doobie Brothers "Listen to the Music" again, these guys are to blame. :rolleyes:

epi-mt1-white.jpg
epi-mt1.jpg

I'd dare say that with 40yrs of improvement in FR drivers, and more thorough and easy modelling of enclosure designs thanks to MJ King and others, the Planet10 version is quite a step up - but then, again, how could I not? ;)

As they have great WAF appeal at my place, I've built altogether 3 prs of the "Castle" version - i.e. with second driver mounted firing upwards - two of which have a 10dg forward angle on the top. Those two features were also "inspired" by earlier art - the Castle Howard S3 and Linn DMS for the up firing drivers, and perhaps the EPI M201 for the angled top? - at least that's the one that first comes to mind from my personal experience.

I've never been sold on Dipole designs, I guess the cost of having additional drivers to the mix is a touch off-putting. Like my fellow car audio enthusiasts shunning Isobaric designs for subwoofers enclosures, it's deemed an unnecessary expense. I've tried a few such configurations, but have never considered them beyond hearing a demo.

The theory and design if the enclosure is interesting thought, and I'm all up for learning and trying something new. My interest into audio is a journey, never a destination!

The microTowers are bipoles, not dipoles. Completely different. The bass loading is an end-loaded ML-TL.

If you are designing your TLs without the aid of software modelers then you are much more likely to fail to get something optimal than you are.

dave
I've used the leonardaudio software, hornresp mainly. But for the most part, i loosely stick to Martin King's formula however i also do a bit of experimenting. I've always struggled with software and graphs. For the most part i felt what the graphs showed didn't translate very well in real terms (previous subwoofer builds).
Sound | surfandsound

However, I've decided to try the speakers on a few films, and they really, really shone. The bass is definitely there! So maybe its a matter of finding the right music/film to really show off what the Marks can do.

double horn

"What i'm not good at is crossovers or in the case of filtering, i'm not up on notch filters and the like. Any advice, drivers that I might not have considered, taking my music preferences into account?"

look the MiniPosaune for two driver

hm double bass horn - mini trombone

Mini Posaune

may be another solution you can think about.

Attachments

• kornetthin1web.jpg
    kornetthin1web.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 149
  • miniposaune2web.jpg
    miniposaune2web.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 52
  • miniposaunealfred1.jpg
    miniposaunealfred1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 163
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.