Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2017, 01:08 PM   #21
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Matt Scarlett,

Another driver you can check out is the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 - in the right cabinets these dig quite low for a wide-band/FR driver and has good treble extension too. Price at KJF Audio (also a member at this forum) would be 175 for a pair.

Edit: Even more suitable (from the specs/product info, as I have no experience with this driver) might be the Pluvia 11. Also slightly lower cost at 160/pair

Last edited by zman01; 22nd April 2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:26 PM   #22
matt scarlett is offline matt scarlett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Matt Scarlett,

Another driver you can check out is the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 - in the right cabinets these dig quite low for a wide-band/FR driver and has good treble extension too. Price at KJF Audio (also a member at this forum) would be 175 for a pair.

Thanks for the suggestion. Price-wise they might be a tad out of what i'm comfortable with spending. I have/had Mark audio on the peripheries of consideration rather than them being high on my list. For whatever reason I'm looking for a driver with relatively high sensitivity, hence my looking at the TB's, although the Mark 10's don't have the worst sensitivity rating. Although, effectively whatever speakers i go with will be for computer desk use, i didn't want to consider what would add up to be near field speakers ... drivers with particularly low sensitivity, Fountek, Fostex (although i have mentioned them in my OP) and the like.

I have to say that before i really started looking, i did have a slightly blinkered view of FR drivers not being able to cut it in the SPL stakes, but there are some impressive drivers out there MA included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nee_InC_ubo MLTL with Markaudio Alpair 10 Gen 2 - Demo 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcWnyvYTSMc Tangband W6 1916 - Fratelli Abbate Speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19XJYirvOfg Full range speaker trying to walk.
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:31 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Agreed, the difference probably wouldn't have a huge effect and of course at the frequencies involved imaging wouldn't be an issue. It's nice and simple as well. PWK video? Is it one you posted? I can't find it....
Is this video link not working?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIwZjJanXag&t=4s
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:37 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Matt,

If you notice, both the TB and Mark Audio drivers are in large floor-standing cabinets. On a desktop as computer speakers, we can assume that cabinets will be smaller? In that case, you will be sacrificing some of the LF extension.

The other thing is, with larger drivers in the near-field listening setup that you have described, they might sound a bit bright, but YMMV.
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:37 PM   #25
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Gotcha, didn't get the PWK reference and I was looking for something about 7' long, ha! as in "straight TL"
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:41 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Matt,

If you notice, both the TB and Mark Audio speakers are in large floor-standers. On a desktop as computer speakers, we can assume that cabinets will be smaller? In that case, you will be sacrificing some of the LF extension.

The other thing is, with larger drivers in a near-field listening setup that you have described, they might sound a bit bright, but YMMV.
So that's why I want to design a fairly hefty/lengthy t-line to give me the extension. I don't think for me building tiny 10L (type) enclosures will do it for me. A sinlge t-line that maybe my amp and PC screen can sit on

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:47 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Couple of observations:

- Each driver located at different points of the line? Hmmm... even if this were to work out, wouldn't that tune them differently?

- Two wide-band drivers in a single cabinet, each being fed with a different (as in stereo) signal - not sure if that's the best option sound quality wise.

Maybe more experienced folks can comment on the approach.

Last edited by zman01; 22nd April 2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:48 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Thinking about it, I don't really push my Monitor Audio's. I'm not into deafening my neighbours by opening the windows and having a blast. Maybe ... what I could do with is a half decent near field set up!

CHN-70 Paper (pair) | KJF Audio Mark Audio CHN-70 35 a pair ... might be worth a punt! So many to consider.
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Couple of observations:

- Each driver located at different points of the line? Hmmm... even if this were to work out, wouldn't that tune them differently?

- Two wide-band drivers in a single cabinet, each being fed with a different (as in stereo) signal - not sure if that's the best option sound quality wise.

Maybe more experienced folks can comment on the approach.
You're right, it's definitely not the best concept, however, it is just a concept, and i quickly did a Sketchup drawing just to give a sense of my intention. I don't think that particular design is 'The One', just thought;

1) I single enclosure along the lines of a soundbar

2) Yes you're right, the effects of where the drivers would go in this design is problematic at best i think.

maybe something along the line of the Bose design might be better

An Improved Transmission Line Alignment.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:58 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt scarlett View Post
CHN-70 Paper (pair) | KJF Audio Mark Audio CHN-70 35 a pair ... might be worth a punt! So many to consider.
Matt,

I recall reading that driver having a particular shape of frequency response, but diyA member xrk971 got it working pretty well in a Karlsonator cab:

Improving the CHN-70

Among smaller divers, the Pluvia 7 also holds some promise, but haven't heard those myself.

Edit: I might be wrong, but the Bose design in your previous post is probably for the sub-woofer unit; the mid and high frequencies would be handled by the satellites.

Last edited by zman01; 22nd April 2017 at 02:07 PM.

I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!Hide this!Advertise here!