Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!
I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2017, 11:15 AM   #11
matt scarlett is offline matt scarlett
diyAudio Member

maybe something like this.
Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anji12305 View Post
By older, I mean secondhand​ or "used".
In North America a donor pair is at your budget. I can't speak to European prices. It's a sturdy motor driving a simple paper cone.
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Just worried that shipping costs might bump the price up a little too much. But great suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I use Jordan VTL, the driver is over your budget but the enclosure might be of interest and useful for a different driver http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/PDFs/Eikona_2_VTL.pdf

Sorry didn't clock the soundbar bit........oh well.....good luck!
Jordan 180

Are Jordan that good. If you were to sell them to me, what would you point out about them above the competition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anji12305 View Post
Personally, I would seek out a Bastanis OB that need not be shipped, but that's beyond your stated budget.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
A bit above my budget, but nice all the same

Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOff View Post
I've never had a listen to them, but for something that produces a lot of bass and go reasonably loud for that kind of music, a pair of Wild Burro Betsy-K in an MLTL could get you there. There's a build called the WIBAQ, an MLTL based on the TABAQ (which I have built). It's tuned for an F3 of 35Hz. It's pretty big though, and not exotic or anything like a pure T-line. The drivers don't look that pretty either, and being 8-inch they would be quite directional.

The Betsy with the higher Qts is also quite a popular choice for full-range OB.

It costs around 90 a pair for the K (not including shipping).

Wild Burro Audio Labs - Fullrange Speakers - The Betsy & Betsy-K Drivers

Interesting, very interesting. My only concern is that from the little research I've done on full-range/coaxial drivers (including PA based coaxials) the larger you go the high-end tends to drop off quicker. I know that might be a huge generalisation, but that has been my quick observation. Dayton, TB, Fostex, Eminence Faital Pro, Beyma when you start going 6.5" - 8" high-end extension (graphs) gets a bit ropey.

Thanks everyone so far for your help and suggestions.

Last edited by matt scarlett; 22nd April 2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:21 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konzentr8 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the M A 's you don't like specifically?
I'm trying to be restrained here, but for me they're utter garbage! That might be a bit harsh, but after having my Morel set up, it really is like listening to music with a pair of duvets over them. The only saving grace is the bass depth, however the bass itself can be a bit ponderous, and I believe a half decently design enclosure can to equally as good or better, in other words, I think one can hit low by virtue of the enclosure.

The FE103's have an FS of 83Hz, and amongst other parameters, an xmax of 1mm yet .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIwZjJanXag&t=4s

Last edited by matt scarlett; 22nd April 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:21 AM   #13
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Main points I'd say re the Jordan are good bass extension due to the Xmas. Very smooth treble, and lack of beaming due to the contraflex cone. They probably have one of the widest FRs of any wideband driver
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:34 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Main points I'd say re the Jordan are good bass extension due to the Xmas. Very smooth treble, and lack of beaming due to the contraflex cone. They probably have one of the widest FRs of any wideband driver
Sounds good! I might have to give them a go one day. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:37 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

You're welcome. Ted Jordan (RIP) concentrated on wideband drivers most of his life and is a well respected authority on the subject.

Re your picture, is that for stereo? If so the responses won't be balanced

Last edited by scottjoplin; 22nd April 2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You're welcome. Ted Jordan (RIP) concentrated on wideband drivers most of his life and is a well respected authority on the subject.

Re your picture, is that for stereo? If so the responses won't be balanced
It's just a concept. typical 2:1 taper. Coming from car audio I often design for output and efficiency or SQ when it's required. I know in home audio the taper is sometimes much steeper, and the line terminus smaller

https://transmissionlinedesigns.word...udio-speakers/
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:53 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Have to add that although at times I have used software, I've found it to be less than accurate. My philosophy is design, test, make adjustments. Can be time consuming and costly, but i find software ok at best in enclosure design, but this goes out the window when it comes to placing the enclosure in it's respective environment.

For this project however, it's a matter of cheap and cheerful concept enclosure then go from there. When say cheap and cheerful I mean something like this

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:11 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt scarlett View Post
It's just a concept. typical 2:1 taper. Coming from car audio I often design for output and efficiency or SQ when it's required. I know in home audio the taper is sometimes much steeper, and the line terminus smaller

https://transmissionlinedesigns.word...udio-speakers/
Dunno The VTL is hardly tapered at all. I was thinking both drivers at different points along the same pipe
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dunno The VTL is hardly tapered at all. I was thinking both drivers at different points along the same pipe
... yeah .... from the little measuring i have done (a while ago) from what i remember it was ok but not perfect. I'm trying to come up with designs that will place to drivers in a better position. The taper is not necessarily an issue, I was also thinking of doing a straight t-line like in the PWK video.

Something springs to mind, this thread by Patrick Bateman (who also appears on diymobileaudio a lot).

An Improved Transmission Line Alignment.
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Agreed, the difference probably wouldn't have a huge effect and of course at the frequencies involved imaging wouldn't be an issue. It's nice and simple as well. PWK video? Is it one you posted? I can't find it....

I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!Hide this!Advertise here!