MLTL Enclosure for Fostex fe168sigma (old one) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2017, 01:15 PM   #1
janus44 is offline janus44  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default MLTL Enclosure for Fostex fe168sigma (old one)

Hi can someone (because I am not familiar with speaker design software) simulate an appropriate MLTL for my old fostex fe168sigma (whizzer) because BIB cabinet probably wont pass the WAF test . I found something that looks interesting on youtube but there is no data on the construction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fxtMqj3UWA .
My room is about 25 square meters and I plan to stick them to back walls as close as I can .

Last edited by janus44; 21st April 2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 21st April 2017, 04:16 PM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Does the FH-XL pass WAF in your case?

The Frugel-Horn

However, not sure if the FE-168 Sigma will work in that cab - there is a possibility that it will. If the design meets your criterion of acceptability, then maybe the FH-XL design team can comment on driver suitability.
Old 21st April 2017, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well maybe but now the problem is that the cabinet is quite deep and will reduce living space .I prefer something with the BIB footprint (20+- cm x 30+- cm)but usual speaker height. .There was a proposal from Bob Brines years ago here Proposals but the images aren't displayed but I would like a 2017 view on construction stuffing etc etc .Here are some photos of my living room as you can see I have limited space for big constructions...
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg

Last edited by janus44; 21st April 2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 21st April 2017, 06:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I will check my computer archives when I get home. I may have something that will work nicely.

Here's another idea to consider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3759.JPG (66.0 KB, 121 views)
Old 21st April 2017, 06:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Another image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3760.JPG (68.6 KB, 118 views)
Old 21st April 2017, 06:06 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Amp? If a high output impedance, then ideally need to know its value in ohms or at least its DF [damping factor, not terminal connection value], otherwise cab may be too small, hence too 'boomy', requiring ideally too much stuffing.

Also, do you want the driver at your average seated ear height or......to listen vertically off axis?

GM
Old 21st April 2017, 06:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quick draft using published specs with average seated ear height yields a minimum ~60"/152.4 cm H x 8.45"/21.45 cm W x 4.14"/10.5 cm D [inside dims] tuned to ~42 Hz with a baffle thickness [0.75"/1.9 cm] cutout the way I like to design MLTLs, so not 'cast in stone'. Add a double thickness [1.5"/3.8 cm] base plate and minimal damping on the top, back and one side with 1" acoustic fiberglass insulation or similar.

GM
Old 21st April 2017, 07:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Greets!

Amp? If a high output impedance, then ideally need to know its value in ohms or at least its DF [damping factor, not terminal connection value], otherwise cab may be too small, hence too 'boomy', requiring ideally too much stuffing.

Also, do you want the driver at your average seated ear height or......to listen vertically off axis?

GM
The amp is a tube el34 single ended (probably with some feedback) 8 ohm taps only and about 10 watt .
My listening height is about 90 cms.
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

OK, then will increase net volume [Vb] a bit:

H = 60"/152.4 cm

W = 11.25"/28.57 cm

D = 4.14"/10.5 cm

Driver down 25.2"/64 cm

Vent down 50.4"/128 cm

Vent dia. = 2"/5.08 cm

Vent length = 0.75"/1.9 cm

All dims are inside [i.d.] and approximate, so can round up to nearest whole number as required/desired.

Add a double thickness [1.5"/3.8 cm] base plate and minimal damping on the top, back and one side with 1" acoustic fiberglass insulation or similar is normally sufficient, though a good plan to be able to add extra damping in the area above, around, the driver with a removable top plate.

Mass loading helps performance too, so adding a block to the rear wall behind the driver to provide a slight pressure when mounting the driver and adding a massive [Marble, slate or similar] top plate to cover the removable one really helps such a tall, thin, light tower.

FWIW I mount these with industrial grade Velcro. That, or just a wood top and Velcro a heavy plant, which of course has great WAF. Depending on how large, massive you make the bases, these might need to be Velcroed to the wall near their tops too.

GM

PS: Please disable the Tapatalk ad, TIA.
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I draw a quick plan on mspaint I hope is gonna do the job ...
FE168MLTL GM.JPG
Thanks GM

Hide this!Advertise here!