Suggestions for FAST enclosures - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2017, 04:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions for FAST enclosures

Hello again my friends!

I recently acquired a pair of Alpair 6m drivers and a pair of Tang Band w6-1139si subs. I have wanted to try a FAST setup for a while and I want your opinions on enclosures.

Would a combined tower or separate boxes be preferred? Or does it not matter? Open baffle for the Alpair and sealed sub? MLTL? BLH?

Any opinions are welcome of course
Old 20th April 2017, 11:46 AM   #2
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello back at ya! Let's see if I can get the ball rolling. I think your crossover is going to need to be fairly low because of the limited high freq response of the w6 so you'll need to get some bass out of the alpair so open baffle would probably not work. You could do a tower incorporating a mMar-Ken6 and cross at about 150 hz or so or you could do separates with a frugalhorn lite or a pensil 6. I'm sure there are many more options.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:20 PM   #3
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, you will want the Alpair separated from the woofer so the the pressure from the woofer inside the box doesn't affect the Alpair. From there you could go with a single enclosure, but the Alpair would have its own enclosure inside the larger enclosure. In the end, I think it's a matter of personal preference. I run a lot of different full-range speakers with a small sub located away from the full-range cabinets. I want to try a FAST, but just haven't gotten around to it.
Mikr
Old 20th April 2017, 03:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejennens View Post
I run a lot of different full-range speakers with a small sub located away from the full-range cabinets. I want to try a FAST, but just haven't gotten around to it.
Mikr
I am becoming unsure as to what exactly a FAST system is. Is it a pair of small full range speakers with a separate subwoofer?

Or is it a pair of 2 way speakers, each using a crossover with a bass driver; and a full range unit to cover the non-bass frequencies.
Old 20th April 2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
I am becoming unsure as to what exactly a FAST system is. Is it a pair of small full range speakers with a separate subwoofer?

Or is it a pair of 2 way speakers, each using a crossover with a bass driver; and a full range unit to cover the non-bass frequencies.
Pretty much the latter. It's all in the frequency ranges/crossover points. With a FAST (2.2) pair, the crossover is typically far higher (300Hz?) than you would use with a 2.1 system (typically 80Hz).

Though there's also the entertaining small FAST pair corner subwoofer, if you don't want large boxes dominating the room.

J.
Old 20th April 2017, 03:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I take it as meaning a single fullrange driver with subwoofer support as low as possible
Old 20th April 2017, 07:31 PM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Basically the idea of FAST is a wide band (aka full-range) driver as a mid-tweet and bass driver(s) which can be woofer or subwoofer (depending on the XO point and drivers being used) to handle the low frequencies. Compared to a typical 2 way, the XO point on a FAST is low (have read that ideally it should be 350 Hz or lower) to keep the XO out of the critical listening band.

Few years back I had tested the Alpair 7.3 in P10 Mar-Ken boxes and the TB 1139 (ferrite magnet model) in a 2.1 setup. IIRC XOs tried out within 110-150 Hz gave pretty good integration. The experiment was done in bi-amp active setup with software XO, and I can't recall the order or the slopes used. Drivers were in separate boxes. If you plan to keep the drivers within a single physical enclosure, you will need to divide into 2 separate sections so that the bass driver does not inter-modulate the mid-tweet.

Since you will not be aiming for the lowest possible bass tuning with the Alpair as mid-tweeters, a smaller sized enclosure should work in this application. The C2C (center to center) distance between the mid-tweet and the bass driver should be close as possible and within 1/4 of the wavelength at the XO frequency.

With a sub-woofer handling the bass duties it is difficult to go for a high XO point as most sub-woofers have limited bandwidth going up. A mid-woofer can be crossed higher in a FAST type setup.

An example of a FAST setup done by another diyAudio member few months back:

Alpair 7 and SDX10 FAST.

A single enclosure (but with separated chambers inside) build done by another diyA member few years back:

FAST Build: Alpair 7.3 - Seas L26ROY

Edit: Member xrk971's FAST project:

10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST Ref Monitor

Last edited by zman01; 20th April 2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 20th April 2017, 08:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantkezm View Post
Hello again my friends!

I recently acquired a pair of Alpair 6m drivers and a pair of Tang Band w6-1139si subs. I have wanted to try a FAST setup for a while and I want your opinions on enclosures.

Would a combined tower or separate boxes be preferred? Or does it not matter? Open baffle for the Alpair and sealed sub? MLTL? BLH?

Any opinions are welcome of course
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
A bit more info please, how big is the room? Are you planning an active system with EQ? How low do you want it to go?
Old 21st April 2017, 01:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions for FAST enclosures

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
I quite like this design by Sven Boenicke, similar size drivers to yours. Check out his many designs online, he was the first guy I saw doing full range/side woofer arrangements

Last edited by Bill poster; 21st April 2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 21st April 2017, 03:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
A bit more info please, how big is the room? Are you planning an active system with EQ? How low do you want it to go?
Wow, lovin the enthusiasm, keep it coming guys!

The listening area is the very irregularly shaped living room. Open to kitchen and sunroom with high ceilings. So I know I'll be making significant compromises.

However, we don't tend to listen to anything at high volume. My goal was to get good clean bass (whatever that means) as low as is reasonable. 30 hz would be nice if possible. But I don't need thump, just presence if that makes sense? And I'm not tied down with the 1139s either, I'd consider two different, but inexpensive, woofers if you guys have any strong opinions on other drivers? Like the RS225 seems popular.

And my source is a pc so I had been toying with the idea of using a cheap sound card as a 4 way source and bi-amping using two with software as a dsp. Good idea/bad idea? I honestly didn't want to spend multiple hundreds on a minidsp amplifier combo if I could avoid it. I'm a grad student so I don't have a lot of found couch change before my wife starts to ask questions.

Last edited by seantkezm; 21st April 2017 at 03:54 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!