Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Enclosure for Diatone Clone
Enclosure for Diatone Clone
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 08:35 PM   #1
maxhifi is offline maxhifi  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default Enclosure for Diatone Clone

First post here, hope it's in the right place!

I missed the boat on buying affordable Diatone P-610MAs back in the 1990s, but never forgot about them, and always wanted one.

My wife likes using aliexpress to buy clothes, anyhow by chance I looked up speakers and staring at me was the DavidLouis P-610 clone.

Am thinking about ordering up a pair of the Ferrite version, the price is right, but how about the sound? The T/S parameters are way different than the original, am curious how they can possibly be advertised as working well in the enclosures designed for the originals.

Anyone here have experience with the new "Diatones", how to house them, what to expect, etc?

Last edited by maxhifi; 18th April 2017 at 09:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 09:10 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
No experience, but curious what the original's T/S specs are. A quick Googling only returned power handling, etc..

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 09:17 PM   #3
maxhifi is offline maxhifi  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
No experience, but curious what the original's T/S specs are. A quick Googling only returned power handling, etc..

GM
I've read varying accounts online, for example from

Vintage SpectrumAudio

Diatone P-610DA 16cm*16Ohm*SPL90dB*Fres90Hz*Qms7,2*Qes1,4*Qts1,2*V as16L*Ms6,2g*anno1979*AlNiCo*Foam

Diatone P-610MA 16cm*16Ohm*SPL89dB*Fres87Hz*Qms10,5*Qes1,8*Qts1,5* Vas13L*Ms6,3g*anno1995*AlNiCo
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 03:04 AM   #4
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
perceval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
No experience, but curious what the original's T/S specs are. A quick Googling only returned power handling, etc..

GM
There's some more info here,
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...562617608.html

Edit: Oops... Sorry! You said the original, not the clone. I should never post before coffee in the morning
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 04:14 AM   #5
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Enclosure for Diatone Clone
I did a custom miniOnken for the 610 clone, quite a large enclosure.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 04:30 AM   #6
maxhifi is offline maxhifi  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I did a custom miniOnken for the 610 clone, quite a large enclosure.

dave
Hi Dave,

That sounds really interesting, what kind of performance did you manage to get out of it? How large are you talking? And finally did you design it for the ceramic or alnico clone?

Best regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 09:07 PM   #7
ultrakaz is offline ultrakaz  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
First post here, hope it's in the right place!

I missed the boat on buying affordable Diatone P-610MAs back in the 1990s, but never forgot about them, and always wanted one.

My wife likes using aliexpress to buy clothes, anyhow by chance I looked up speakers and staring at me was the DavidLouis P-610 clone.

Am thinking about ordering up a pair of the Ferrite version, the price is right, but how about the sound? The T/S parameters are way different than the original, am curious how they can possibly be advertised as working well in the enclosures designed for the originals.

Anyone here have experience with the new "Diatones", how to house them, what to expect, etc?
I don't think you missed the boat.... I have a pair of the "Memorial" reissue 610 from around twenty years ago (with alnico and cheap stamped frame) and they are decent, if not vintage/less resolved sounding than newer offerings from TB, Fostex or Markaudio. Like with most 5-6" drivers with Q >5 they need a largish cabinet. Unless you are married to the 610 sound, I'd go with a "Fast" system with a proven smaller "full range" driver. See XRK's numerous fast threads.
Can be made the same size depending on the woofer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 09:15 PM   #8
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Enclosure for Diatone Clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
That sounds really interesting, what kind of performance did you manage to get out of it?
The sims were good as i recall. No feedback from the end user.

Quote:
How large are you talking? And finally did you design it for the ceramic or alnico clone?
For the ceramic magnet version. ~ 29x100x28cm

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 09:43 PM   #9
maxhifi is offline maxhifi  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakaz View Post
I don't think you missed the boat.... I have a pair of the "Memorial" reissue 610 from around twenty years ago (with alnico and cheap stamped frame) and they are decent, if not vintage/less resolved sounding than newer offerings from TB, Fostex or Markaudio. Like with most 5-6" drivers with Q >5 they need a largish cabinet. Unless you are married to the 610 sound, I'd go with a "Fast" system with a proven smaller "full range" driver. See XRK's numerous fast threads.
Can be made the same size depending on the woofer.
Those are the ones I wanted to get my hands on, but when I saw EiFL Japan is selling their last pair for $600USD plus shipping, I decided I'd be better off looking at clones! If I could get some real ones affordably, I'd be thinking to do that instead.

I like the sound of paper cones, and the Diatones are often reported to give a warm sound and work well with single ended triodes, which is what I'm running. I've never actually heard them though, just been curious.

This could very well go like the time I decided I absolutely had to hear what "sweet sixteens" sound like, and built a pair against all logic... even the miniDSP didn't cure them, they're living in the closet perhaps permanently!

Are any specific new speakers comparable to Diatones?


Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The sims were good as i recall. No feedback from the end user.

For the ceramic magnet version. ~ 29x100x28cm

dave

That's a nice tower size, I was expecting something shorter and wider. An Onken is more or less a type of bass reflex enclosure, or is there more to it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 10:04 PM   #10
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Enclosure for Diatone Clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
That's a nice tower size, I was expecting something shorter and wider. An Onken is more or less a type of bass reflex enclosure, or is there more to it?
My miniOnkens aren’t really Onkens by the definition, they only borrow the high aspect ratio slot ports up both sides. They follow a very specific shape of modeled bass reflex curve, that has consistently delivered well-nuanced bass performance. They only go as low as they go, and the cabinets tend to be small.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Enclosure for Diatone CloneHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aikido Clone in copper enclosure+NOS valve naca5 Swap Meet 0 9th May 2014 08:49 AM
Diatone P610MB Indie Röhre Multi-Way 0 17th April 2009 07:58 PM
Diatone P610 Audio_idiot Full Range 13 13th July 2008 04:46 PM
What to do with Diatone P-610 Audio_idiot Multi-Way 0 26th September 2006 05:30 AM
Proac 2.5 clone enclosure volume basil Multi-Way 0 3rd September 2003 11:30 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio
Wiki