Enclosure for Diatone Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First post here, hope it's in the right place!

I missed the boat on buying affordable Diatone P-610MAs back in the 1990s, but never forgot about them, and always wanted one.

My wife likes using aliexpress to buy clothes, anyhow by chance I looked up speakers and staring at me was the DavidLouis P-610 clone.

Am thinking about ordering up a pair of the Ferrite version, the price is right, but how about the sound? The T/S parameters are way different than the original, am curious how they can possibly be advertised as working well in the enclosures designed for the originals.

Anyone here have experience with the new "Diatones", how to house them, what to expect, etc?

Last edited:
No experience, but curious what the original's T/S specs are. A quick Googling only returned power handling, etc..

GM

I've read varying accounts online, for example from

Vintage SpectrumAudio

Diatone P-610DA 16cm*16Ohm*SPL90dB*Fres90Hz*Qms7,2*Qes1,4*Qts1,2*Vas16L*Ms6,2g*anno1979*AlNiCo*Foam

Diatone P-610MA 16cm*16Ohm*SPL89dB*Fres87Hz*Qms10,5*Qes1,8*Qts1,5*Vas13L*Ms6,3g*anno1995*AlNiCo

First post here, hope it's in the right place!

I missed the boat on buying affordable Diatone P-610MAs back in the 1990s, but never forgot about them, and always wanted one.

My wife likes using aliexpress to buy clothes, anyhow by chance I looked up speakers and staring at me was the DavidLouis P-610 clone.

Am thinking about ordering up a pair of the Ferrite version, the price is right, but how about the sound? The T/S parameters are way different than the original, am curious how they can possibly be advertised as working well in the enclosures designed for the originals.

Anyone here have experience with the new "Diatones", how to house them, what to expect, etc?

I don't think you missed the boat.... I have a pair of the "Memorial" reissue 610 from around twenty years ago (with alnico and cheap stamped frame) and they are decent, if not vintage/less resolved sounding than newer offerings from TB, Fostex or Markaudio. Like with most 5-6" drivers with Q >5 they need a largish cabinet. Unless you are married to the 610 sound, I'd go with a "Fast" system with a proven smaller "full range" driver. See XRK's numerous fast threads.
Can be made the same size depending on the woofer.

I don't think you missed the boat.... I have a pair of the "Memorial" reissue 610 from around twenty years ago (with alnico and cheap stamped frame) and they are decent, if not vintage/less resolved sounding than newer offerings from TB, Fostex or Markaudio. Like with most 5-6" drivers with Q >5 they need a largish cabinet. Unless you are married to the 610 sound, I'd go with a "Fast" system with a proven smaller "full range" driver. See XRK's numerous fast threads.
Can be made the same size depending on the woofer.

Those are the ones I wanted to get my hands on, but when I saw EiFL Japan is selling their last pair for $600USD plus shipping, I decided I'd be better off looking at clones! If I could get some real ones affordably, I'd be thinking to do that instead.

I like the sound of paper cones, and the Diatones are often reported to give a warm sound and work well with single ended triodes, which is what I'm running. I've never actually heard them though, just been curious.

This could very well go like the time I decided I absolutely had to hear what "sweet sixteens" sound like, and built a pair against all logic... even the miniDSP didn't cure them, they're living in the closet perhaps permanently!

Are any specific new speakers comparable to Diatones?

The sims were good as i recall. No feedback from the end user.

For the ceramic magnet version. ~ 29x100x28cm

dave

That's a nice tower size, I was expecting something shorter and wider. An Onken is more or less a type of bass reflex enclosure, or is there more to it?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That's a nice tower size, I was expecting something shorter and wider. An Onken is more or less a type of bass reflex enclosure, or is there more to it?

My miniOnkens aren’t really Onkens by the definition, they only borrow the high aspect ratio slot ports up both sides. They follow a very specific shape of modeled bass reflex curve, that has consistently delivered well-nuanced bass performance. They only go as low as they go, and the cabinets tend to be small.

dave

My miniOnkens aren’t really Onkens by the definition, they only borrow the high aspect ratio slot ports up both sides. They follow a very specific shape of modeled bass reflex curve, that has consistently delivered well-nuanced bass performance. They only go as low as they go, and the cabinets tend to be small.

dave

Interesting, I have to admit I did read about them a bit on your website, without total understanding of what they are. I'll send you a PM, am curious to see the plans.

EDIT: Appears to be no option for sending a PM here.. will send email via website. Best Regards.

Last edited:
Those are the ones I wanted to get my hands on, but when I saw EiFL Japan is selling their last pair for $600USD plus shipping, I decided I'd be better off looking at clones! If I could get some real ones affordably, I'd be thinking to do that instead.

I like the sound of paper cones, and the Diatones are often reported to give a warm sound and work well with single ended triodes, which is what I'm running. I've never actually heard them though, just been curious.

This could very well go like the time I decided I absolutely had to hear what "sweet sixteens" sound like, and built a pair against all logic... even the miniDSP didn't cure them, they're living in the closet perhaps permanently!

Are any specific new speakers comparable to Diatones?

I think the 610 is a 5.5" driver, so the Markaudio 10p would be comparable. I've got the old Fostex FE168 Sigma, which I cut off the whizzer cone that sounds pretty good in a rear loaded horn, but I've read that it will work in a bass reflex box. If you need louder/more efficient then the 8" FE208E Sigma (whizzerless version) would be good too but needs a large rear loaded horn. There are a lot more choices within Fostex and Tangband, but these are the drivers that I own and have listened to and I would rate over the 610. The 610 is a decent driver but is kind of cheaply made with its thin/flimsy unfinished looking stamped frame and cannot compare to the build quality of the Fostex Sigma series.

I think the 610 is a 5.5" driver, so the Markaudio 10p would be comparable. I've got the old Fostex FE168 Sigma, which I cut off the whizzer cone that sounds pretty good in a rear loaded horn, but I've read that it will work in a bass reflex box. If you need louder/more efficient then the 8" FE208E Sigma (whizzerless version) would be good too but needs a large rear loaded horn. There are a lot more choices within Fostex and Tangband, but these are the drivers that I own and have listened to and I would rate over the 610. The 610 is a decent driver but is kind of cheaply made with its thin/flimsy unfinished looking stamped frame and cannot compare to the build quality of the Fostex Sigma series.

Thanks for the info, I took the opportunity to look up the drivers you mentioned.

The Markaudio 10p looks like a winner, the on and off axis frequency response is amazing for a full range driver. The sensitivity is a little low for a single ended triode, but it sure looks promising in all other regards.

Fostex is an interesting idea too. Have to ask, what motivated you to cut off the whizzer cone?

I guess I like the looks of the 610, it reminds me of the vintage drivers present in radios and amplifiers of days gone by. Maybe the looks sold me first, and performance second, which probably makes no sense considering the price.

Thanks for the info, I took the opportunity to look up the drivers you mentioned.

The Markaudio 10p looks like a winner, the on and off axis frequency response is amazing for a full range driver. The sensitivity is a little low for a single ended triode, but it sure looks promising in all other regards.

Fostex is an interesting idea too. Have to ask, what motivated you to cut off the whizzer cone?

I guess I like the looks of the 610, it reminds me of the vintage drivers present in radios and amplifiers of days gone by. Maybe the looks sold me first, and performance second, which probably makes no sense considering the price.

The 10p trades off sensitivity above 1000Hz for more balance and smaller enclosure for equivalent similar bass response. All 5-6" (all similar sized drivers for that matter) have the same output at around 100Hz or so and if the driver is more sensitive up top you need a larger box to balance it out with more bass (like Lowther drivers). No free lunch here, so that is one reason why I favor the "fast" approach.

Regarding the whizzer removal, long story short, it literally cracked off due to C37 lacquer treatment. Surprisingly, less ragged and smoother sounding top end; just a clearer more coherent sounding driver with C37.

Nobody's new have an opinion on the diatone clone?

I want to buy a pair on tangband w5-2143(I like them) to run FAST mode but the diatone clone make me hesitate to try it

Мнение есть. Я оригиналы не слушал. Но Diatone P-610 clone это лучший динамик, какой я слушал. Акустическое оформление-фазоинвертор согласно рекомендациям завода изготовителя.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.