Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trapezoid mini Onken&Slim GR dMar-Ken builds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2017, 05:54 PM   #91
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVK View Post
Notice, no measurements, and no double blind tests as proof. How much better? and for what cost?
Current measurements are typically too crude to pull out these kind of differences. Valid double blind tests are very hard to do, and the commonly touted ABX is statistically so poor it is only of use when it shows a difference.

You have to trust your ears, and besides they are all that matters. If he wants to spend the money, fine. I personally am happy with my solid core, cryo-treated, teflon insulated 24g.

dave
Old 17th July 2017, 05:56 PM   #92
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
Did the Cardas qe formula change? I've been using it for awhile and it seems to work quite well. It's not cheap, but I wouldn't consider it expensive per se. I suppose if I was using quite a lot of it I would likely look for something cheaper.
Well, I can certainly remember some comments on this a while back - either re a change in the alloy ratios, or formulation of flux. Like I said, I bought my roll quite some time ago, and it's by far the most pleasurable to use - flows wonderfully.

And not to dissuade vishalk from reaching his own conclusion, among countless audiophile tweakery over the years, I've used solid silver for both speaker wires and interconnects, and failed to achieve nirvana, or even satori from the experience.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:25 PM   #93
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default off topic... wire again...

I have friends who swear by Cu. And some that swear by Ag. And others yet that feel Ag tinned Cu is the best. Perhaps carbon nanotubes cultivated in outer space and infused with Yak **** is best?

I suspect that some can hear the difference, while others cannot. If you cannot hear a difference I'd opt for the least expensive option in terms of conductors (but tinning the ends of any wire can help reduce the likelihood of oxidation). I think there are few areas that (regardless of what conductor one uses) that all should agree. There are differences in dielectric. Teflon is the best solid that we have with the lowest dielectric constant. This tells us that this dielectric will disturb the E field the least (it is the field that carries the signal, not the conductor). I am also a fan of being consistent within a system regarding cabling. If you use CU conductor in your IC's, use the same material for speaker cables. If Ag ICs are used, used Ag speaker cables.

One can argue the merits of a particular conductor, but it is everything taken together that is critical. Good conductors, using good dielectrics, good mechanical connectors, put together by people who have good skills (so as to be consistent from cable to cable) and care what they are doing.

and back to footers/isolation devices. It is so important what one is trying to do with a component (in this case loudspeakers) that each component must be looked at completely separately. A couple of years ago I had 16 people in my tiny living room dancing. We were using my suspended Oracle Alex Mk II turntable. I have it sitting on a bamboo cutting board, which sits on 4 Audio Technica isolating feet on top of a sand filled Target Delta 5 stand. The TT should have been having fits (the floors were shaking under foot) but the it kept spinning without a single skip (the floors in my tiny 100 year old house are about as spongy as any could ever be). Without all of these coupling and isolating devices, I know the table would have skipped (in the past it had...)..

Just remember what you are trying to accomplish : isolation or mass coupling.
Old 22nd July 2017, 07:39 PM   #94
vishalk is offline vishalk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Pure Silver wire, silver solder and Speaker stands.

Bought some second hand speaker stands, bargain at 20. Used some pastikote white matt spray paint to tidy them up, a few more coats will look like new.

Silver wire and solder arrives ready to be carefully soldered making good clean connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0225.jpg (306.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0226.jpg (793.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:10 PM   #95
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
With silver you need to use solder with silver in it, the usual receipes have 2-4%.

dave
Never understood this, what difference does 2% silver make? What happens if you use normal solder? Does it make any difference if it's silver plate? Why is it ok to use normal solder with gold plate?
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:43 PM   #96
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalk View Post
Bought some second hand speaker stands
If the pillar is hollow fill it up with sand or kitty litter or some such.

dave
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:57 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
If the pillar is hollow fill it up with sand or kitty litter or some such.

dave
Thanks Dave it came filled with sand. Fairly weighty!
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:50 PM   #98
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Then even more of a bargin at 20.

dave
Old 26th July 2017, 03:57 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Default More pics

Slims done, new silver wire soldered and enclosures ready go be glued and finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collage 2017-07-26 16_55_07.jpg (225.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 26th July 2017, 04:01 PM   #100
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalk View Post
Slims done, new silver wire soldered and enclosures ready go be glued and finished.
Go, go, go!

Trapezoid mini Onken&Slim GR dMar-Ken buildsHide this!Advertise here!