Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Tower Line Array using Pluvia 7's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mini Tower Line Array using Pluvia 7's

I got this idea because some of the 'ceiling to floor' line array projects in the Full Range Section look awesome and I'm really curious of their sound.

I recently put together 4 BK12m enclosures using the Markaudio 4" Pluvia 7's and they sounded really good. Good enough to continue on this path, maybe?...

The problem with the Pluvia 7's is their lack of power, i.e. output volume, so I'm thinking in this case maybe more is better.

In my collection so far I have 6 Pluvia 7's which I can start a mini-line array with 3 drivers per side.

The BK12m's will not be used. I already built 2 custom boxes which are 6"x6"x21", 3/4" MDF with a 2" vent 1" long centered in the rear of the box. Internally, it figures to .3 cubic ft. Tomorrow, I'd like to build 4 more boxes and retest. Seems to be falling off at about 150Hz 6in from rear wall...

The reason for building a separate box for each driver was so each stacked box could be pointed or moved out in a stereo pattern for experimentation.

I know there's things like lobing and comb filter and such I've read about, but I have no software to test such things.

As time goes by I would build more speakers and stack them. They would be attached by a dowel pin in 3 possible positions as I will drill holes to accomodate the pins towards the front middle and back of each speaker, on top and bottom of course.

So what do you guys think?

Best regards,
Sam
Old 5th April 2017, 06:13 PM   #2
MPM is offline MPM  United States
diyAudio Member

There once was a company called seventh veil that had a four driver array. He had his own sub you could purchase with it. I got to hear a set and I really liked them. Granted you had to be sitting at the right height but that was easy. Most of us are sitting when we do critical or major relaxation listening anyway. Google "seventh veil speakers".
Old 5th April 2017, 11:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPM View Post
There once was a company called seventh veil that had a four driver array. He had his own sub you could purchase with it. I got to hear a set and I really liked them. Granted you had to be sitting at the right height but that was easy. Most of us are sitting when we do critical or major relaxation listening anyway. Google "seventh veil speakers".
Thanx for posting dude...

I almost finished 4 more boxes today. 2 complete. 2 more will be completed next week....

Some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070065.jpg (392.6 KB, 1384 views)
File Type: jpg P1070066.jpg (333.1 KB, 1333 views)
Old 6th April 2017, 01:43 AM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Look forward to updates on how the "experiment" goes with the stacked approach.
Old 6th April 2017, 07:00 AM   #5
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Just a few thoughts, don't mean to be rude here,

This stacking will prevent you from getting the drivers as close together as possible. This will lower the frequency at which combing will occur. With a stack of 3 drivers this may not be detrimental on the listening axis though. But once you move up or down at the listening spot this combing will start to play a bigger role.

Most floor to ceiling line arrays have the drivers 'as close together as possible' for a reason. They are also 'floor to ceiling' for a good reason.

However there is nothing wrong with experimenting .
Old 6th April 2017, 10:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

All criticism is welcome! Thanks for contributing.
I was able to compare 1 set to 2 stacked and immediately heard the loss of bass frequencies. Considerable loss.
Old 6th April 2017, 12:23 PM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Dr1v3n,

Since you are experimenting, can you try and connect the drivers in series and run the bottom driver as a 0.5 driver? Please refer to post #4 by Danny Ritchie in this thread:

Best Sounding Single Drivers
Old 6th April 2017, 05:03 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Sam - read Ronald's thread .

Pluvia7 is a nice driver, but perhaps a bit of overkill for a line array. One of the most popular models for such an application is the Peerless / Vifa Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer

Click the image to open in full size.
Keep in mind that a full blown floor to ceiling array usually implements at least 20 per side, so budget accordingly - must be a reason for the specific quantity price breaks on PE's site.
Old 7th April 2017, 12:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Dr1v3n,

Since you are experimenting, can you try and connect the drivers in series and run the bottom driver as a 0.5 driver? Please refer to post #4 by Danny Ritchie in this thread:

Best Sounding Single Drivers
That is a great link! I'll try it and measure it. I'm lacking a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable to run REW to my 3 Audiosuorce AMP 3's with test signals from my laptop. I should get it tomorrow.

Just so you all know, I am trying to beat the glorious sound that was coming from the 4x BK12m setup using the Pluvia 7's, from this thread (Modified BK-12m BLH). If an array type arrangement can't be done with these drivers, then I'll stay with the BK12m's.
Old 7th April 2017, 12:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

So I did finish the last 2 Left & Right speakers although I'm short a couple sets of binding posts. The one on top has the 4.5"passive radiator. After comparing them all, the one with the largest vent had the lowest frequencies. I'm going to work with this design and convert all 6 to that one first. Then I plan on experimenting along the lines of pipe organ. Always loved that sound the best when I was young.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070068.jpg (335.7 KB, 1197 views)

Mini Tower Line Array using Pluvia 7'sHide this!Advertise here!