Mini Tower Line Array using Pluvia 7's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bet you can get louder than you'd like again :).

Yes, I'm a happy man again! I hear the music, clearly, hours after playing it. But I can also tell a bad recording, or maybe they're recordings meant for different speakers.
But the same old players sound real good. Sting, Dire Straights, Pink Floyd, Highwaymen, Johnny Cash

Last edited:
Yes, don't immediately judge the recordings. Most recording engineers do know what they are doing. I always blame myself if something does not sound right.
I've come at a point where most recordings sound right, though there are exceptions.
The list you share seems like a save bet though. Many more should make you feel the same. Try the audiophile favourite, "Keith don't go" from "Nils Lofgren" if you can.
It sounds good on many many speakers, get it right and it will sound awesome.

Enjoy!

Any chance you discovered this Tomita musical gem the way I did, by watching the PBS show "Star Gazer" with Jack Horkheimer back in the 80s?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Back then I had a friend who was building speakers too so I/we were forever searching for great speaker tests. I heard it back then and never forgot it or Tomitas name. It was the time of electronics, advent of 16bit parallel ADC/DAC... It was like he took over where Pink Floyd left off.

Edit: Not took over, but was in that 'big mess o'wires' like Floyd. Rare these days

Last edited:
Obbligato cap's...
2x .047uF
2x .1uF
2x .15uF

...for experimenting on some fresh Dayton AMT tweeters.

This array needs just a small addition of 10kHz+. Maybe 3dB. And also a controllable amount of bass from the sub's. WAY more than 3dB

Attachments

• P1070309.jpg
    P1070309.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 225
Internal wiring is Cat5E cable. I thought it would be stranded. I guess I didn't do enough research, but $35US for 1000Ft of 350MHz Cat5E solid wire for internal wiring for the P7's. Small details... Some work here cutting and stripping...
Maybe there is something to say for keeping the LC down with the wires insulated between the termination points. Any comments?

Attachments

• P1070314.jpg
    P1070314.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 150
  • P1070318.jpg
    P1070318.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
What I can do is when I start working on the left array wiring, is to use single strand wiring, but that fiberglass is going to be nasty to work around... Today I install the fiberglass and finish up the right side.

What is the benefit to single strand over multi strand? Lower capacitance? Lower inductance?

I realize I'm at sort of a crossroads where I need to do some measurements instead of just building and subjective listening. Right now I am at the point where the left array are the .096cuft PVC enclosures with very light acoustistuff for fill and the right channel array PVC enclosures are .15cuft with tightly packed fiberglass.

I need a computer and REW in the living room...

I need to justify the larger enclosures. The NE42 magnets barely hold, but not an issue.

I need a NUC, so I decided to build my own around a 1U 19"rackmount case and mini-ITX motherboard with SPDIF out. I wimped out on the CPU though. It's a $62 Celeron. I've been meaning to do this for a long time now as my 75lb main desktop computer is not really mobile. So I should be able to share some good measurements soon.

On a side note, one of the subwoofers is complete and it is a killer! Pics soon although they are not complete, the 1 is definitely in the final stage. Today I try to finish the driver placement in the second sub.

Here are some pics of the sub that is near completion. It's an isobaric design, maybe double isobaric? I don't know. I couldn't find the config online, so I had to experiment. I originally envisioned the bottom 2 drivers wired out of phase to the top 2 drivers. It sounded weak. When I wired them all in parallel, the "boom" came alive. These are 4ohm subs, all wired in parallel, so my Audiosource Amp 3 Amp is seeing 1 Ohm. A real test for that nice large toroidal transformer inside that amp. I cranked it up last night with no thermal shutdown ;) They will eventually be individually EQ'd by a miniDSP 2x4 kit and powered by class D Amps. Also, I'm working on new top and bottom faces. Instead of the 10"x10" it will be 14"x14" and metal poles on each corner painted the same color as the P7's.

Attachments

• P1070322.jpg
    P1070322.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 173
  • P1070323.jpg
    P1070323.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 175
  • P1070324.jpg
    P1070324.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 110
  • P1070325.jpg
    P1070325.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
These are 4ohm subs, all wired in parallel, so my Audiosource Amp 3 Amp is seeing 1 Ohm. A real test for that nice large toroidal transformer inside that amp. I cranked it up last night with no thermal shutdown ;)

It is not recommended to use the amp that way. The amp is specified to 2 Ohm per channel. By bridging it the minimum impedance it may drive is doubled, not halved, resulting in 4 Ohm minimum in BTL configuration. It works now but you don't know which parts of your amplifier age in time lapse by that or break after a while with higher levels because of the very high current. It's not only the amplifier, you are sacrificing sound quality because the damping factor drops immensely and the transition resistances 'weight' a lot more because of the ratio speaker impedance to transition resistance.

The Audiosource Amp 3 is specified with 400W bridged or 2x150W. (Odd values, I wonder how they calculated it). The difference between 300 and 400W is just 1,25dB less maximum spl (which is just noticable in A/B comparison) but it will sound a lot more precise and controlled.

ICG thx! You are familiar with Audiosource?
The Audiosource Amp 3 is not currently in bridge mode (Although you do see 2 Amps in the pic ;))... Thanks for the warning... I'm going to rewire the subs for 4 ohms, since I'm using the one amp. I am aiming to have the second sub done in a few days and raize God almighty hell. Forgive me

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.