Mini Tower Line Array using Pluvia 7's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a better pic, don't know why the last one came out so small...

...At the very least putting the tweeter on a small baffle in between the full range cabinets and having them all point in the same direction would probably give you a better result.
Yes, I was not having that tweeter hang out all nasty like that. That was just a quick and dirty to see if the super tweeter was even necessary. Which it is IMO, crossed over with a 2uF cap.
Love it !!!
Thank you!

I can't really test the woofer section yet, as I have 2 more units to build on 4/19. And then the crossover. Been thinking about that bit....
I'll build some really thin boxes to house the AMT tweeters too.

I lied, the 2 middle Pluvia 7's are wired for sound along with the super tweeters, and I swear I hear deeper bass notes resonating out of the sub boxes without even being wired in.

Regarding crossovers, I really want to go (2x) miniDSP PWR-ICE250. Power each sides' Pluvia set + AMT on one channel and the 2 subs on the other channel with a high order high pass and low pass.

Attachments

• P1070090.jpg
    P1070090.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 335
  • P1070088.jpg
    P1070088.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 321
Here's a better pic, don't know why the last one came out so small... lied, the 2 middle Pluvia 7's are wired for sound along with the super tweeters, and I swear I hear deeper bass notes resonating out of the sub boxes without being wired in.

Hi there D: Try shorting out the unconnected sub drivers terminals, to see if you are getting acoustic driven resonances from the sub drivers. ...regards, Michael

Here's a better pic, don't know why the last one came out so small... lied, the 2 middle Pluvia 7's are wired for sound along with the super tweeters, and I swear I hear deeper bass notes resonating out of the sub boxes without being wired in. (QUOTE)

Hi there D: Try shorting out the unconnected sub drivers terminals, to see if you are getting acoustic driven resonances from the sub drivers. ...regards, Michael

Hey there. I've not revealed what's going on on the backside sorry. I think it's just bouncing off the walls from the active speakers into the inactive speaker vents. They're all about 1.5' away from a wall.

Thanks for commenting, I'm not the best OP for sure.

I'm ordering more binding posts for all the speakers as we 'speak'.

Attachments

• P1070092.jpg
    P1070092.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Tried a couple different config's today. 1st was without the AMT tweeter and all drivers lined up vertically as some have suggested... Sub par
I wasn't suggesting that approach if that is what you thought. This is a very short line with a large centre to centre distance.

This is far superior with the AMT tweeter in the middle.
By doing this the outer drivers are more off axis than the inner which will roll off the high end of those and stop them from interfering as much. Putting the tweeter in the middle closer in it is no surprise that this configuration sounds better. You may also be introducing a bit of directivity from the curve, a very mild version of Keele's CBT array.

I was thinking more of an WMTMW with the drivers on a flat baffle. By crossing at the right points you keep the CTC distance below half a wavelength and they add together nicely.

The full range and tweeter is probably a bad choice for MTM in the traditional sense because the AMT can't go low enough to cross at the right point.

What you have in your last picture might well be a better way to use those drivers in combination.

Fluid, thanks for commenting!
I forgot to mention the 4x Dayton 8" woofers are separately powered by an Audiosource Amp 3 which gets its signal from a 100Hz subwoofer ouput from the Pioneer D812 amp. The pluvia's are wired parallel/series for 8ohms with the AMT and 2uF cap in parallel. A 1.5uF cap may sound better... No crossover for the pluvias yet.

@wesayso: Yes! I was going to experiment with concave next. I choose convex initially to try to simulate a point source maybe 20ft away.

No doubt it's been done before, but now we've got better tech! I've chosen D'Appolito config, although modified I give the man credit instead of saying MTM.

It's the combination of the entire thing that sets the quality, some of the older guys used different ways to get what they wanted with what was available. Having a 'better' driver is of no benefit if you don't use it properly.

In order for it to be closer to what D'Appolito did you need to use a fairly specific crossover to put the lobes into alignment. I have a feeling that he would not consider what you have done to be what he was aiming for ;)

I think you will get better results if you take some more measurements and work up a better crossover if you are able to.

Sam - my allusion was actually to the work of John Dunlavy that Ronald referenced. Another late lamented ( perhaps except by the wives of his enthusiastic customers of the mid-late '90s?:D) genius.

Some of the tech we DIYers get to play with may certainly have improved in the last 20-25 years, but solid engineering is timeless.

..I have a feeling that he would not consider what you have done to be what he was aiming for ;)

I think you will get better results if you take some more measurements and work up a better crossover if you are able to.
True, very true. I'm using the Markaudio Drivers as full rangers, augmented in the high end with the AMT in the middle. In the near future, I would like to add an active crossover with a high pass filter selectable from 100-500Hz on the Pluvia's/AMT and a low pass for the 4 woofers. so 2x 2-way dsp class D amps...
2 companies come to mind with the programmability that I'd like: Hypex and miniDSP. I'm leaning miniDSP because Hypex is currently out of stock at Madisound. Nothing on eBay for either...

Although I'm very happy with the midrange and high end on most everything I've listened to, I'm most disappointed in the bass. It's not consistent is all I can say. Maybe all the Pluvia's are cancelling out the low end from the Dayton's?

Last edited:
Or maybe these Dayton drivers are not 'broken in' yet?
I don't think that is the reason.

Adding multiple drivers together without a proper crossover is bound to cause cancellation.

Take a measurement of the Dayton drivers on their own to see what they can do alone. Take a measurement of the whole lot together and compare. Otherwise it is just a guess as to what is going on.

Minidsp is probably easier to program and easier to get help with as there are a lot more users. The 2x4 HD looks like a good device to me lots of options.

I don't think that is the reason.

Adding multiple drivers together without a proper crossover is bound to cause cancellation.

Take a measurement of the Dayton drivers on their own to see what they can do alone. Take a measurement of the whole lot together and compare. Otherwise it is just a guess as to what is going on.

Minidsp is probably easier to program and easier to get help with as there are a lot more users. The 2x4 HD looks like a good device to me lots of options.

For measuring FR, would you recommend pink noise? Or log speed sin wave with peak hold? Or both? And why?

For measuring FR, would you recommend pink noise? Or log speed sin wave with peak hold? Or both? And why?

Log sweep in REW for a static measurement, I would only use noise for an RTA type measurement or on line level electronics. Noise is good for steady state and averaging.

Log sweep will get you the best measurement in REW with the highest signal to noise ratio if you set it up properly. The REW help has more information on why if you want know.

I'll have to wait till this Wed to test the FR of this current setup. I just wanted to chime in and say that after putting the speakers right up against the wall, inches away, the bass is MUCH improved. Sometimes I'm slow like this but after all there's alot of variables here. Watching and listening to the Hobbit series of movies is very enjoyable.:D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.