Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Tower Line Array using Pluvia 7's
Mini Tower Line Array using Pluvia 7's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2017, 01:10 AM   #11
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Sam, there's probably no doubt that a successful line array could be accomplished with almost any competent small FR driver, but please pay heed to comments by Ronald (wesayso) and several other members here, as well as examples by folks like Roger Russell. With such a contemplated project, go full floor to ceiling - which generally requires at least 20 drivers per side - or risk disappointing results that is not due to the concept, but rather the implementation.
Old 7th April 2017, 01:37 AM   #12
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

I will, there's lots of reading to do!

Maybe stack 6" FR drivers
Old 8th April 2017, 01:04 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I tested using box design with the recommended vent piece. I thought this sounded the best today, so I went on to testing with REW software measuring RTA and outputting Pink noise through headphone jack of the Toshiba Satellite laptop, U-Phoria UM2 and Dayton Emm-6 mic, calibration file used. Personally, I like what I see. I always liked a bit of 'brightness' from a speaker

Last edited by Dr1v3n; 8th April 2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 8th April 2017, 04:59 AM   #14
plund is offline plund  United States
diyAudio Member

if it turns out you don't like the stacked array at least you can easily break them apart...Three pair's of speakers is not a bad thing. :0)

Last edited by plund; 8th April 2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 8th April 2017, 10:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plund View Post
if it turns out you don't like the stacked array at least you can easily break them apart...Three pair's of speakers is not a bad thing. :0)
Exactly, that was my original intent, in addition to be able to put each stacked speaker off axis for spreading the sound!

Well I'm starting off slow, as I am revisiting an old hobby after a great many years of progress. I was programming a Commodore 64 when I built my first set of speaker experiments. I was in my late teens then... Anyway

In REW, I made 2 measurements on these boxes using the log sweep function. I think this is way more revealing than pink noise, but I'm not an audio engineer, so any input would be appreciated!

Here are the curves based on the Pluvia 7 driver in a (internal measurement) box size of 4.5"x6"x20" with the recommended vent 1.5" vent x 4"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070073.jpg (118.3 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg Left. Log Sweep.jpg (62.9 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg Right. Log Sweep.jpg (64.5 KB, 418 views)
Old 8th April 2017, 10:49 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Tomorrow I'll try to add some internal baffling in order to see what affect it has on the lower frequencies. Maybe upper? Maybe I can affect those freq's enough to successfully stack 2 different designs without comb filtering?

I'm thinking even though the bass notes are impressive, to add a hi-pass crossover to save the drivers and have a cleaner midrange/high sound.

Overall I am really impressed with these drivers.

I'm gonna have a beer and listen to music. Done with the FFT's for tonight, Cheers
Old 10th April 2017, 10:13 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Today I made 4 speaker stands, 54" tall. They have a dual purpose of supporting 4 wall mounted bookshelves when not being tasked for audio use.
Now I tested the Pluvia 7's in 2 of the .32cu.ft. enclosures on the stands, far away from all walls, and even with the 2" vent it was seriously lacking in lower frequencies.
Now on to 2 pairs of stacked enclosures, on the stands, in the middle of the garage...
I tried many things, except internal baffling mods as I don't think this affects comb filtering so much. This is what we're battling here. And I think back to How successful D'Appolito, now MTM?, sounded.

The only arrangement that sounded half decent was to have the bottom left and right pair Pointed towards the rear, and the top pair aimed slightly off axis towards the front.

I have the advantage of powering the bottom pair and top pair independently at this point

Last edited by Dr1v3n; 10th April 2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10th April 2017, 10:25 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've ordered 2 more Pluvia 7's. That will give me 4 per side. Enough to wire them in series/parallel instead of using the other Audiosource Amp 3.
Also, I will be experimenting with 4x SB23MFCL45-4 8" subs. Isobaric? Push Push? Push Pull? Remains to be seen

Last edited by Dr1v3n; 10th April 2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12th April 2017, 06:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I'm leaning towards Isobaric because the F3 is halved for the same volume from 1 driver. I guess I was always leaning Iso since I ordered the 4ohm drivers. Any input appreciated, but I realize it's always about me or so the wife says.
Old 12th April 2017, 06:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

2 more Pluvia's expected in today, and the vents necessary for 4 complete identical speakers. Will have to build 2 more boxes which will take about a week.... Cheers

Mini Tower Line Array using Pluvia 7'sHide this!Advertise here!