Modified BK-12m BLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I would guess, that last graph I posted is crap, especially in regards to frequencies below 10kHz and above 80Hz.

In a few days, I'll get the Behringer BM2 mic preamp with USB interface with 48V phantom power and the Dayton EMM-6 mic. I 'll have new measurements and intend to start from scratch.

All speakers accounted for as I've just received the 4x Markaudio Pluvia 7's Gen I.:)

Last edited:
Mark Audio, that is.

FWIW, when we first saw the specs for the Alpair and CHR, etc drivers, the rated sensitivity gave us pause for concern as well, particularly if using flea-power amps - either tube or SS such as Nelson Pass' ACA. In practice, however I certainly found the wider natural bandwidth of the MA drivers and for my taste smoother, more transparent upper mids and top end trumped the FE126's performance, and it's been years since I've used any of my several tube amps.

but as they say - your mileage may vary

Mark Audio, that is...
and it's been years since I've used any of my several tube amps.

but as they say - your mileage may vary

Dynaudio?! WTF... My bad.... I meant Mark Audio.
Tomorrow I have to try these drivers. I can't tolerate the Fostex, really I can't.

What do you favor these days chris as far as amps for a full range driver?

Class D with programmable DSP looks really good to me ATM, but just a little expensive.

I confess I have my eye on a configurable line array for the dynamic range...

Last edited:
It's probably safe to say that the DIYer today enjoys an embarrassment of riches in this category from which to choose. I've been quite pleased with several recent class D amps from Yuan Jing - TP3116, TDA7294, Sure 4 channel TK2050 from Parts Express .
I also have a pair of little Topping TP30s in desk-top 'puter systems, powering FF85WKs - for which they're more than adequate, and frankly the USB/DAC input is not at all hurtful.

If 6 watts can suit your needs, I can't say enough nice things about Nelson Pass' ACA - I bought the DIY Audio store kit - because, well, it was complete, and a very simple build.

Class AB chip amps that I very much liked are Tom Christiansen/ Neurochrome's Modulus 86 and LM386DR. The new Modulus 286 looks pretty interesting - knowing Tom's passion & skill, I can't imagine there'd be anything to fault them on.

My personal daily driver system is actually an Onkyo surround receiver in a 7.1 system - all Mark Audio drivers. I'm guessing that to cram that many channels of power into a single chassis that doesn't need a fridge dolly to move, many models in this product niche use some type of class D stage, but I've never cared enough to peek under the hood.

By programmable DSP for crossover /EQ, etc, I'll assume you mean something like the minidsp products. Yer probably right in guessing this is the way for a speaker building nut to be able to handle virtually any configuration (s)he can envision - the only impediment is your learning curve, and line of credit:eek:

Last edited:
It's probably safe to say that the DIYer today enjoys an embarrassment of riches in this category from which to choose. I've been quite pleased with several recent class D amps from Yuan Jing - TP3116, TDA7294, Sure 4 channel TK2050 from Parts Express .
I also have a pair of little Topping TP30s in desk-top 'puter systems, powering FF85WKs - for which they're more than adequate, and frankly the USB/DAC input is not at all hurtful.

If 6 watts can suit your needs, I can't say enough nice things about Nelson Pass' ACA - I bought the DIY Audio store kit - because, well, it was complete, and a very simple build.

Class AB chip amps that I very much liked are Tom Christiansen/ Neurochrome's Modulus 86 and LM386DR. The new Modulus 286 looks pretty interesting - knowing Tom's passion & skill, I can't imagine there'd be anything to fault them on.

My personal daily driver system is actually an Onkyo surround receiver in a 7.1 system - all Mark Audio drivers. I'm guessing that to cram that many channels of power into a single chassis that doesn't need a fridge dolly to move, many models in this product niche use some type of class D stage, but I've never cared enough to peek under the hood.

By programmable DSP for crossover /EQ, etc, I'll assume you mean something like the minidsp products. Yer probably right in guessing this is the way for a speaker building nut to be able to handle virtually any configuration (s)he can envision - the only impediment is your learning curve, and line of credit:eek:

I'll check some of those DIY class D amps out for a future project, thanks for your input.

Yes, the miniDSP looks awesome. I love the DSP aspect being built in and programmable.

Well, I removed the FE126En's and installed 2 of the Markaudio Pluvia 7 Gen 1 on 2 of the 4 BK12m's and listening to a few tracks from Pink Floyd's latest: The Endless River. I was extremely pleased!

The Pluvias have the same bass presence as the Vifa's but the midrange of the Pluvia's are a pleasure to listen to. The highs are incredible too, that spike near 10kHz on the FR plot I can hear in the cymbals coming through real nice...

I also got in the EMM-6 mic and U-Phoria UM2 mic preamp, but still waiting on XLR cable to do testing.

Now I'm going to lose the last 2 Vifa's and listen to all 4 BK12m's. Gonna be a good night methinks... So tempted to turn them loud, but must break in first. Making a log sheet for runtime.

EDIT: Oh and another nice thing is the screw mount pattern is exactly the same for the Vifa and Pluvia.

Last edited:
Here's my setup. Incredible sounding, Now listening to Pink Floyd DSOTM. I'm bying up remaining stock of Pluivia 7's. I erased my flags, only because focus is on the speakers, maybe amps...

Attachments

• P1070047.jpg
    P1070047.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 178
I see 4 x BK-12M cabinets. More coming?

I also see a few Fostex speaker drivers. :D

More are coming, but building my own now...

I think I found a great marriage between the BK-12m's and the Markaudio Pluvia's. They're F'in sweet. So tempted to turn it louder than I should. Sometimes I do have it on a louder level and they start to sound bad, almost like the VC is heating up and changing speaker characteristics. Then when I turn it down, they start sounding better again.

One thing on the Fostex, @93dB efficient, I think it would make 1 hell of a midrange driver for an efficient 2 or 3 way speaker. Used as a full range driver by itelself, in the BK12-m is annoying... Maybe different with DSP/EQ?, but I'm not getting into that here n this thread.

Good to know that you are enjoying the set up.

In my experience Mark Audio wide-band (aka full-range) drivers deliver impressive output for their cone size - but understandably they will hit their limits when pushed too hard.

I haven't heard the Pluvia's though, but from your impressions and reading about experiences of others who have used them, looks like it's a good driver.

If you are open to trying out other designs, then you might consider a pair of Frugel Horn Mk3. :)

Last edited:
Good to know that you are enjoying the set up.

In my experience Mark Audio wide-band (aka full-range) drivers deliver impressive output for their cone size - but understandably they will hit their limits when pushed too hard.

I haven't heard the Pluvia's though, but from your impressions and reading about experiences of others who have used them, looks like it's a good driver.

If you are open to trying out other designs, then you might consider a pair of Frugel Horn Mk3. :)

I'm going to try to come up with a design that is similar to a vertically stacked line array, but the design will take advantage of horizontal off axis response so all the drivers won't just be stacked straight vertical. That's all I'll say for now

So far, I found this setup to be the best sounding after installing all 4 Pluvia drivers in the 4x BK-12m's in this setup. The speaker inputs on the top speakers have the polarity reversed. Each pair of speakers is driven by 2 Audiosource Amp 3's at 30% volume. Sound seems pretty uniform in a 20'x20' garage vertically and horizontally, relatively speaking...

Attachments

• P1070049.jpg
    P1070049.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
So far, I found this setup to be the best sounding after installing all 4 Pluvia drivers in the 4x BK-12m's in this setup. The speaker inputs on the top speakers have the polarity reversed. Each pair of speakers is driven by 2 Audiosource Amp 3's at 30% volume. Sound seems pretty uniform in a 20'x20' garage vertically and horizontally, relatively speaking...

I got the idea for reversing the polarity of a tweeter on a 2-way system from a link I read on these forums. But retested today, and it's no good. Hell of alot of frequencies cancelling out. Lower volume sound over all, and almost all bass frequencies are gone.

I went back to 4 speakers in phase, but the top left and right speakers pointed out 45degrees respectively. Very nice sounding...

Only have 7hrs listening time, lol. Gonna be a long trip to 100hrs, unless I can "burn them in" in 4 days with straight running music? or white noise or pink noise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.