Whats the smallest speaker and cabinet for a 'reasonable' sound ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, so this is possibly a bit of a silly question as so much is subjective but...

My eldest daughter is off to university in a few months so I want to get her a tiny (NOT tinny !) stereo sorted. Source is likely to be her phone, so fairly compressed mp3's I expect, despite my nagging, although I may get something else and insist that she has better files.
Amp will be a class d, possibly the SMSL SA36 that I have spare, and I want to make her some little speakers.
I am new to all this, and am in the next few days about to start making my first 'flat-pack' speakers (using Pluvia 7's) but fancy doing the woodwork myself so am looking for driver suggestions along with plans for cabinets - obviously I am happy to pay for them.
So, if anyone has any suggestions or experience of cabinets no more than about 200-220mm tall then please tell me.
Thanks in anticipation !

4.5" driver, about 3L, and plenty of EQ.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...26en-small-google-page-ranking-enclosure.html

They will not go loud, but they will go low enough for most music, and loud enough for nearfield use.
I'd strongly recommend that she keeps them to herself - I've had speakers blown because they've been used in the communal area for a party. The above design won't be happy with loud party music, but they'll fill a small room very well with really, really good sound.

Chris

Here is a list of a few designs-

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Woden-BabyLabs-081015.pdf

And you could always go with something from this site:
Frugal-phile | Box Library / Fostex
or
Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio under the mini-onken section.

In my office I have a pair of slim golden ratio cabinets with Mark Audio CHP-70's. I also have a very small sub (Voxel Sub) and it sounds GREAT! The cabinets are 14 1/2 inches tall, so I don't know if that's small enough.
http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dCHR-Ken-301113.pdf

Mike

Last edited:
I have these in my living room at the moment and very happy with them connected to a Lepai 2020. As he says in thne write up, they 'kick'. Very impressive for a single 3" driver

"Dragon Foals" writeup - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

The drivers were on sale recently (and still may be) at Solen for $7 Canadian.

Because I already had the cabinets for something else, my port is on the front, where I usually prefer it anyway

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Blumenstein Orcas

My daughters also went to University, and did not have lots of space for a stereo, and I have recently purchased a pair of Orcas made by Clark Blumenstein in Seattle, and for my desk stereo powered by a TI 3116 amplifier I could not be happier. I use my computer as a source for this set up and they sound just great. The drivers are 3 inch foster, which are available from Clark for 30 each if the worst comes to worst and they are damaged at a party.
They are plenty loud for my office, but of course the three inch drivers are limited as to how much air they can move, and are not rock speakers.
The tone is great for what they are, and while more expensive than the DIY options out there, they look great and can last in a system long after graduation and she will still be happy with them.
Clark is a great guy to deal with, and while they are 89 db efficient, they work a]happily with just a few watts of power, my little Texas Instruments amp is perfect with them.

You have to give this little speaker a serious consideration for your purpose and amp:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...sonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-16.html#post3722988
You can build this with foam core, plywood, MDF or hardwood.

Plenty of very happy owners - I just finished reading through all 193 pages of this thread. This is my next speaker build - first for myself and then also for my daughter at University. Maybe the wife too.

Last edited:
I would step back from our hobby and give her a Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 3 bluetooth speaker. They sound decent, look stylish in a non-DIY-able way and have the conviviality she will enjoy. Wireless from her phone to the speaker - perfect! No need to inflict our hobby on her, she'll like the HK more. You could even use a pair in stereo mode. We have a white one in the bedroom, wife loves it.

Last edited:
She could play some Zappa on these, educate herself

HMMM. Not sure she could cope with more than a few seconds of Mr Z. I did try her with 'Moving to Montana' when she was young enough to do as I said and has refused to take it any further. Billie (her name) also backed out of Billy the Mountain despite the link....

So many thanks for all the suggestions - I shall look into them all, and might need to consult with mum or Billie before a decision is made.
I have to say I didn't expect any more than one reply to this thread - I am still very new to both this forum and anything Diy to do with Audio, so underestimated all you members.
Again, Thank you all !

It all depends on priorities.

If it has to be small above all else, I'd say a pair of Bose MusicMonitor speakers. I picked a refurb'd pair up from Bose quite cheaply. Say what you like about the manufacturer, these are remarkable little speakers that produce a surprisingly big sound out of a small box.

If it's for rocking out, then I think the only way to do and keep it small would be a pair of 6" PA coaxial speakers (to keep the front small), and plenty of power.

If it's for bedroom HiFi listening, any of the designs here will do it.

If it will always stay by her laptop in her bedroom, volume probably isn't needed. If it's going to end up in communal areas and used for parties (there's a fair chance of that), it's gonna need a bit of bombproofing.

Chris

I bought the same SMSL amp for my son and put this woofer into a .75cf box with a cheap horn tweeter (which I'd like to improve).

Eminence 8" Paper Cone Professional Woofer 8 Ohm

He loves the sound! Regularly finds his roommate playing music thru his iPhone. They've gotten in trouble twice (that I know about) for playing it too loudly. It's just one speaker with iPads set to mono. The woofer has gone up in price - I think I paid $39 when it first came out but PE said it's been popular - is sold out - and Eminence raised the price and will be making more. BIG sound from this 8" in a pretty small box. VERY impressed with woofer.

I've asked my son to send a picture of his setup when he can and will share.

PE's "Overnight Sensation" kit is amazing.
BD2F77C9F8F4895CF0F08D8601DE7FC3.app1_1463859522015-0_L1800.jpeg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.