Alpair-6P compared to CHP-70???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm toying with the idea of a semi-FAST set-up using a Dayton Audio RS225P-8 and a MarkAudio driver; either a CHP-70 or a Alpair 6P. This thread is great, but getting very lengthy: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/273524-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor.html
Although I have a few pairs of the TC9 mentioned in the thread, I'd like to try the system with Mark Audio drivers. There's something about them I really like. I have a pair of A7.3s in Frugalhorns that are great, I have a pair of A-10 gen.s's that are great. I have a pair of CHP-70s I listen to daily as my office system. I absolutely love them. To my ears, they are fantastic. I can listen all day and beyond without any fatigue whatsoever.
I like the idea of a FAST set-up with an RS225P. I use an older RS225 (not paper) in a three-way for my main listening area, and I love it.
Liking to try new things, speaker-wise, I'm looking at the Alpair 6P.
Any input or ideas, as subjective as they might be, how much difference there might be between the two running in a FAST system with an RS225P? I plan on, unless there's a reason not to, using a subwoofer amp for the RS225s and a separate amp for the full-range driver.
Thanks,
Mike

How about the A5.2 for your FAST? A very interesting, and so far quite under appreciated model in the line.
To my ears, more of the "flavour" of the A7 than the CHP, so I guess it depends on which characteristics you're looking for.

Last edited:
How about the A5.2 for your FAST? A very interesting, and so far quite under appreciated model in the line.
To my ears, more of the "flavour" of the A7 than the CHP, so I guess it depends on which characteristics you're looking for.

Thanks Chris. I guess I was thinking the paper-driver sound might be what appeals to me. the A5.2 is certainly worth considering.
I figure a high pass filter will be a good idea on whatever I use. As far as you know, is one of the drivers mentioned easier to work with than the others?
I also considered Fostex drivers. I have a pair of CHP-70s, but if I end up buying different drivers, I'd like to get one that can do well on its own without a complicated build, just in case I don't like how it sounds in the FAST set-up.
Hmmmm.... decisions, decisions. :)
Mike

IINM the Eikona2 is the only current production official Jordan driver, and by all accounts here are world class drivers, but sometimes there is a financial limit.

The A5.2 is an interesting driver for sure, but I've only used them in either vented enclosures, or the FH-lite - how well suited they'd be to an OB without some degree of separation from the woofer(s) is not something I can comment on. Keep in mind that after a couple of experiments a few years ago with OBs, I quickly lost interest in the concept - none thrilled me much, and they certainly all failed the WAF test. To those with more luck in either department - good on ya, mate.

Back to mike's original question - as he's stated his liking for the "flavor" of the CHP, and already has A7.3s, the 6.2 might be the better suggestion.

Of course, he could take a page from the Planet10 playbook and try with every model in the line that will fit in the chosen enclosures- budget be damned, we say!

Oh, wait, that's why we have "just too much stuff" - hmmm, what's the happy medium, Cal, Scott, Bernie?

I'm currently using the A5.2s in the Frugel-Horn Lites. They are smooth, detailed and clear sounding with quick response. The bass extension is amazing for the size.

If you do opt for the A5.2s, please take a look-in on the Woden Bloodhounds. They are straightforward and simple to build. Or perhaps the uMar-Ken5.2s? You can pair your RS225s with them in some kind of FAST arrangement. Just a thought.... :)

Back to mike's original question - as he's stated his liking for the "flavor" of the CHP, and already has A7.3s, the 6.2 might be the better suggestion.

Of course, he could take a page from the Planet10 playbook and try with every model in the line that will fit in the chosen enclosures- budget be damned, we say!

Oh, wait, that's why we have "just too much stuff" - hmmm, what's the happy medium, Cal, Scott, Bernie?

Great idea Chris! I would love to build every enclosure for every model! Unfortunately, my mess of a workshop, speaker room, and the rest of the house would probably take on a new life. Not so sure my gracious and long suffering wife would be as excited as I would. She's great about living with this obsession as it is. Better not push my good fortune! :)

I'm currently using the A5.2s in the Frugel-Horn Lites. They are smooth, detailed and clear sounding with quick response. The bass extension is amazing for the size.

If you do opt for the A5.2s, please take a look-in on the Woden Bloodhounds. They are straightforward and simple to build. Or perhaps the uMar-Ken5.2s? You can pair your RS225s with them in some kind of FAST arrangement. Just a thought.... :)

Thanks. I'll look into those designs. I like the "small-ness" of the uMar-Ken.
Mike

Mike,

The Alpair 7.3 is one of my favorite FR drivers. Have listened to the Alpair 6P and 6.2M also, and those are pretty good too. Would be interesting to read about your impressions on the Alpair 5.2 if you decide to try them out. :)

Thanks Zman. I'll definitely post my impressions.

I have the A5's and 6P's in my cart. Decisions, decisions! :rolleyes:
Now, will it be necessary or advised to go with a high pass on whatever I decide? If so, might I get some help on where to cross and what the filter should be?
Thanks!
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.