Tang Band W8-1772 vs Audio Nirvana old Stamped 8"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kick, I found, can also be harmonic time aligned distortion.

My pioneer b20 sometimes had kick, or a nice bit of thunk thunk in its .577 box.

And I found my 4x12" push pull doesn't have the kick of double 15's in same setup.
Someone else noticed his 4x18" ppsl sealeds didn't have kick of direct radiators.
ppsl measure cleaner harmonic distortion than direct radiators.
Another friend said they tried push pull in cars early 90's and noticed it just seemed less.

I remember an article on jaes where a bass horn had less harmonic distortion, at the same level, than direct radiators that seemed louder while measuring same output.

My buddy made some subs with short xmax drivers, they seemed to have some kick.

So kick, slam can be result of boosted (or harmonic distortion) 100-250hz, among other things.
Very interesting!
I've noted one thing for some kick bass: with a high distortion bookshelf, the drums are "slow", muddy (aka. distorted). Or also when I listen to a mistuned bass reflex. I remember that the measurements from this are bad, for HD and group delay. At same time, the AN10 in giant baffle have low distortin at these frequencies, and also my Troel's TQWT (these have the lowest distortion in bass in projects I've assembled). These have very kick bass; the kick drums are a pleasure to listen on it.
So in my case is a case of distortion, but by their absence, perhaps...;) at least for harmonic type. I don't know if these projects interact with my home making wild phase shifts at these frequencies, grabbing the attention (but the bookshelfes don't provoke this effect, at same placement).
Anyway... better to listen some music now :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.