Kirishima rebuild or what else? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2017, 08:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kirishima rebuild or what else?

Hello,

I'm using kirishimas for over 3 years now and I'm very happy with them. They resist in my listening room of 6m x 4m und work quite well. Drivers are 206en. I'm not using any correction and power them with a 300b se. I'm not using a subwoofer and don't want to use one in future - i like the fast and clean bass response of the kirishimas. The 206en is a bit "crying" in some situations, but all in all im very happy.

BUT i have build them of ugly mdf and never finished them. Finishing them is not an option - the build is not very accurate.

So i'm thinking of rebuilding them with nice plywood. Before starting i would like to discuss other options that might exist. I can only do simple 90degree designs, so other options are limited.

1) just rebuild with plywood because i like them, reuse the 206en, settle down

2) rebuild, using other drivers - i found this this:
Kirishima alterations

but my idea would be using fostex ft 96h and 208 ez sigma. What do you think? Or are there any simple other driver or driver-combinations that would beat the 206en sonically in the kirishimas?

3) BK208 with 208 ez sigma + fostex t90 a - does someone that likes the kirishima would be happy with this combination? Is it sonically "better" ?

4) From time to time im spotting the lowther diskussions (to be true: for many years ;-)) - never heard one personally(!), but i'm able to grab a pair of pm6a from a friend, he never used them - should i follow this direction? I'm very unsure about this option...

It would be nice to hear what do you guys think...

Greets, Chris
Old 6th March 2017, 06:53 AM   #2
Jonny5 is offline Jonny5  England
diyAudio Member

My personnel recommendation would be to build the woden vulcan ,remove the whizzer from the fostex and add a super tweeter. I have a pair of fe206e with whizzer removed and the response is good too about 10 khz. The improvement in sound in the upper frequencies is quite large. The rear mouth of the vulcan will help with bass integration in room with the rest of the frequencies.
Old 6th March 2017, 06:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've read a lot about the vulcan but i can't see any clear advantage in the posts but it looks very interesting. How does it compare to kirishima? - people say "the design is technically better".

On the picture you can see where the kirishimas are located at the moment - direct corner placement and they work nice. would a similar position be possible with the vulcan?

IMG_2012.jpg

chris
Old 6th March 2017, 06:38 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

As the Valiant, Victor and Vulcan are rear mouth designs, I think that tight corner placement as shown in the photo - as well as the large heavy cabinets between the enclosures - would be not be ideal.
Old 6th March 2017, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, i read that people experiment a lot with the distance to rear and side wall with vulcan but thats not (perhaps a bit) possible in my room i think. My brother has the bk206 that also worked great in my room but i don't realy like them because the lack of bass. they also sound a bit nervous.

So +1 for just rebuilding the kirishimas :-) or the BK208?

What do you think of building the Kirishimas with 208 sigma and ft 96h? The ft 96h would fit in the upper corner of the driver chamber i think. Is it worth to upgrade to other drivers in the kirishima? I've read from a guy that used 208 und ribbons in the kirishima https://www.jet5.com/kirishima.php and was quite happy... but i also read about people that are very happy with the bk208 with t90a. But because i like the kirishimas and they work nice i'm afrait of experimenting with completely other designs a bit...

chris
Old 6th March 2017, 07:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Haven't heard the 208sigma, but have done the FE206ESR of a few years back in a very similar enclosure. along with one of the "more reasonably priced" T-series horn supertweeters ( T90?) . They were very efficient and dynamic, but to be honest, sounded a bit congested / colored on vocals . The upstream equipment was certainly not an issue, but it was hard to say whether it was the 206 or the enclosure that was at at fault.

As for needing a tweeter - if/so which one? -the FT16H might also be worth considering - it's substantially less costly than the 96 - i.e. 1/3 the price.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Perhaps the simple question is: How to upgrade the Kirishimas sonically?

I think the 206en is quite a nice driver but i ask myself how to get further keeping the Kirishima-Design. Adding a tweeter would add air and sparkle maybe more details to the sound so it seems to be a good step. Changing the main driver is limited due to the design of the cabinet. So maybe the another simple question is: Is it worth to change the 206en in the Kirishima?

Perhaps it is a "as it is" design - I like them, but if there is a chance to make them better (I have to rebauild anyway) why not consider it. One advantage is, i could experiment with the old enclouser - e.g. makeing a hole for a tweeter.

How does a pure fullrange generally compare to a fullrange+tweeter combination?

chris
Old 7th March 2017, 01:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have always wanted to build Kirishimas with Jordan Eikona drivers.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

keep in mind that any enclosure design with Scott's DNA involved will have been as closely optimized as possible to the targeted (class of ) drivers, and you kinda wanna be sure the enclosure and drivers are mutually suitable - it's not always the case that a more costly unit is a guarantee of superior, balanced performance

as for chris' last question - the answer is "gee, it depends" -
Old 8th March 2017, 09:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

chrisb is correct. If I was to build a pair of these with Jordan Eikona, I would check with Scott Lindgren (Godzilla on this forum) at Woden Design, that the design was optimal. I would be happy to pay a few pounds (on the grand scheme of things) for a bespoke design to avoid disappointment.

Hide this!Advertise here!