AKAI SW-35 - Barn find rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh... Uhm... nope. Didn't touched the box yet, but lumpy bass response? I'm a noob when in comes to TLs still haven't build anything like it.

I did test the the only box which was till complete with the one driver that was still working, the response did sound a bit "notchy" around 500 to 1000Hz I would say, nothing too bad.

The bass response was very impressive thought, could clearly understand the 50Hz tone which came out of the box, even if it wasn't that crazy loud (of course, no surprises there).

Also, can you clarify what you meant by lumpy? As I said, complete noob here xD
Thanks in advance! ^_^

One of the experts might have the right link for you to study about this, but I can tell you that "notchy" is a fair description of what you will have with this old design. Strong low end yes, then dips and peaks up into the midrange that make the sound unrealistic. A fix would be to cut a new hole for the speaker just opposite the original, mount the speaker there, seal off the original opening after adding stuffing to that tapered space that you're curious about. Doing just one then comparing to the original will demonstrate the benefit.
Seems like I've already said this somewhere...

Oh... I might build entire new boxes someday, I do want to preserve the "classic-ness" of this speakers because I kinda liked how it sounded, no idea why, wasn't perfect indeed but still.

I will had stuffing material just to see what it does, not expecting great results, since, as you said, it's an old design.

I really appreciate the tip thought. Going to take that on consideration when I make the new boxes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.