EMS LB12 and JE Labs Open Baffle project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm proud to present my OB's ☺
It's fully sand filled version of this marvellous project

Attachments

• 20170218_103444.jpg
    20170218_103444.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 650
  • 20170217_133850.jpg
    20170217_133850.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
EMS LB12 and JE Labs OB is a VERY good pair ☺
Really worth a try ...
Baltic birch ply sand filled OB shows real abilities of my driver.
I started one year ago with single layer OB ... no ply, just cheap part of kitchen furniture☺
But double 3/4 ply with sand inside ... no comparisions st all☺

What kind of music do you listen to? I am afraid that LB12 may be less detailed than LB8 due to much higher MMS.

I am thinking about building speakers with EMS LB8 or LB12, but not sure how both of them differ from each other, and what is the difference between fixed magnet and field coil. Not enough info on web and no comparisons. :(

What is the status? Though I do not know for sure, I understand an open baffle speaker should have a high Qts >0.7, and these units have a low of <0.3. THis would imply the bass lacks drive. [I have tried a driver with Qts of 0.22 and while the mid bass definition is higher the real bass lacks; I stopped the project. ;-(

The units will not cancel (the low frequencies are in phase in both channels, even more so on LPs).
[I just was curious in my previous post if the low bass lacked due to the strong magnet; that seems to damp the low frequencies in my simulation program. I have not heard them. the field coil version can be reduced in current to get th Qts of 0.7 and I have seen that published for use with open baffle. But the fc version is too expensive for me.] if true, EMS should make a version with a weaker magnet for this purpose

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.