Vintage paper cone & surround treatment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the ingredients for my surround treatment, which I have used on paper, cloth, and foam. This one is not tacky when dry, which can be a problem when trying to extend the life of tired foam surrounds that should be replaced but are not a high priority. It takes very little of the paint extender to reduce the caulk to paint consistency, and thorough mixing is a nuisance. I only mix enough for the pair I'm working on, since the caulk is a moisture curing urethane that lasts a week at best after exposure to air. It is white initially but dries clear.
I make no claim of superiority for this; only that it works for me. As a tradesman I prefer to work with products from my paint store, so rather than thin Aleen's craft glue to apply to cones I use exterior water borne varnish.

Surround Dope.jpg

Since they're WE/Altec 755 'knockoffs', I'd use the original's modern equivalent, ditto for [re]sealing cloth surrounds, though not sure where to get it except through Great Plains Audio or other authorized Altec/GPA reconer: CP Moyen VS6020

FWIW, some others have claimed same-same results with this adhesive, which also dries 'rubbery':

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-repair-glue-1-oz-bottle--340-076

https://www.parts-express.com/pedoc...9111X1517312X2dd27f09a5d3f2df0a44439528787efb

GM

Not only is untreated paper hygroscopic, but it can certainly dry out as well, and it seems to me that years of continual movement of an accordion pleated raw paper surround could certainly wear the fibres to the point of changing their mechanical compliance significantly enough to affect measurable and audible performance long before they fray to the point of splitting / cracking.

Weasel words highlighted. Give us a rundown of how this paper "dries out".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.