Full Range TC9 Line Array CNC Cabinet

New toys arrived today :)

attachment.php

An extra multimeter so I have three to adjust the bias settings on First One amps, trying to do it with one or two is painfully slow and frustrating.

An SPL meter to assist with calibrating REW to something resembling reality.

And 2 x 300W 8 Ohm 1% power resistors to be used as a dummy load for testing amplifiers.

Attachments

• IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 700
Which brand / type? The price seems to be too good to be true :)
Not too good to be true just bought directly from the manufacturer in China via Taobao. I am lucky that I can buy directly from Taobao and use their cargo forwarding service it makes items like this much cheaper to buy.

This is where I bought them from, postage gets cheaper the more you buy so I wait until there are a few things I want and buy them together

https://world.taobao.com/item/542515929029.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700838.0.0.ujYwN2&_u=q2o2hn3c4cec

Hi Fluid,

Glad to read that your project is progressing nicely.

I haven't purchased anything from Taobao since they added the Taobao Cargo tab. I've only ever contacted unknown English speaking Chinese who have purchased and forwarded goods to me, amazingly/fortunately without issue.

You obviously have no problems using Taobao Cargo? Taobao is such an amazing 'place' to browse and shop.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi Fluid,

Glad to read that your project is progressing nicely.

I haven't purchased anything from Taobao since they added the Taobao Cargo tab. I've only ever contacted unknown English speaking Chinese who have purchased and forwarded goods to me, amazingly/fortunately without issue.

You obviously have no problems using Taobao Cargo? Taobao is such an amazing 'place' to browse and shop.

Cheers,
Simon

Using Taobao cargo has generally been trouble free, once set up you choose that option and it adds your cargo address into the system. They hold the packages for up to 20 days so you can consolidate them together. The postage cost to Australia is 65 yuan for the first kilo and 20 yuan for each 500g after. I usually get the packages about 5 working days later as they come by courier. I much prefer this to ebay as it can take a month or more for items to turn up.

I use the Aliwang messenger app on my computer and have some interesting google translated conversations with some of the sellers. Useful if you need to ask questions or find out if things are in stock. Google doesn't translate chinese that well so it can be confusing. Much easier when you find someone who speaks english :D

The hardest thing with Taobao is finding what you want as you need to search in Chinese and it can be hard to find the right words to use. I was looking for non inductive resistors and the Chinglish phrase seems to come out as "no sense of resistance"

I keep finding things at really cheap prices which encourages me to buy more as it is "only a couple of dollars more" like these IRS2092 amplifier boards today that look really well made with pretty decent components

https://world.taobao.com/item/19101327443.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-14351545471.25.Hm6Q6J

I really don't need any more amplifiers but they are only 35 dollars ......

Thanks Fluid.

Yes, Google translate is a huge help, although transformers seem to have something to do with gallbladders in China?

Coincidence, I was looking at IRS2092S boards yesterday. Sure Electronics (eBay or their website) sell a few different ones, although they might be a bit dearer than Taobao.

Sure Electronics' webstore 2 x 250Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board - IRS2092

Sometimes I see transformers listed as cattle, cows or bovine. I can't work out why.

I don't personally like the look of the sure boards. The resistors are very cheap and the output inductors are not great. Those are very important on class D boards.

I like to buy from Taobao sellers that actually make the products themselves, they are much more knowledgable and the products are usually good. The link I posted has very good looking pcbs, use high quality inductors and resistors and have more surface mount components. The mid grade one has even better inductors, driver chips and Chemicon filter caps. It needs a separate power supply but that gives you the option to choose one that you want. The AP graph posted in the description looks good but it's hard to know where that came from.

LJM has the L15 and L25 which many people seem to like, there is an LJM store on taobao here

https://world.taobao.com/item/538595115913.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-7442409722.27.MYeHCF

Fluid,

Have you seen this before on Taobao? "according to country laws, regulations or policy platform, under this limit orders to buy goods." (Google translated)

I assume you get the same message as I did when I clicked on this link to the IRAUD350 module.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.w4004-14630144977.29.rr4S74&id=12931105851

Yes same for me, it means that it can't be sold outside of China for some reason. Happens with lots of hardware items like screws. They have a more powerful version with the green pcb but it is more expensive comparatively speaking :)

Not too good to be true just bought directly from the manufacturer in China via Taobao. I am lucky that I can buy directly from Taobao and use their cargo forwarding service it makes items like this much cheaper to buy.

This is where I bought them from, postage gets cheaper the more you buy so I wait until there are a few things I want and buy them together

https://world.taobao.com/item/542515929029.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700838.0.0.ujYwN2&_u=q2o2hn3c4cec

Thanks. Gotta find someone whospeaks chinese :)

Some more progress on the actual build ;)

I now have two cabinets built to the same stage.

attachment.php

The wiring clamps have been glued down.

attachment.php

The bases have had two coats of the floor oil and they are looking pretty nice, the colour is a lot like white oak now :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2626.jpg
    IMG_2626.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_2624.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 597