TC9FD18-08 should it buzz-zing? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2017, 06:02 AM   #1
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default TC9FD18-08 should it buzz-zing?

I have found when running frequency sweeps through my system that one of my TC9s emits a mechanical type buzzing around the 125hz point.

This is all done at lower volumes, somewhere 1W to 1.5W through a TPA3118.

It isn't noticeable during music playback.

J.
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:45 AM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

have you played steady sin tone through it to nail down the resonance ? I just checked a TC9 in a little Karlsonator but it may have been at much less than a watt with 127Hz using TrueRTA - - - H2 and H3 were 45dB down from the fundamental. I'll try to get a watt and half into one and see how it looks. I'm surprised how low the mini Karlsonator goes considering the cabinet is far away from any room boundary.
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

went back - put in about 3vrms at 127Hz - H2 was about -28.6dB - subjectively some harmonics could be heard depending upon distance to the speaker. No overt mechanical "buzz". Distortion increased on sine wave as frequency was lowered with H3 higher than H2 in the 70Hz region. This is a tweeter sized cone so pretty good overall.
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've just had a bit of a realisation. I recently swapped left/right cabinets around to check some sound level misgivings out.

I have just repeated my tests and sweeps. The cab I expected to have the problem didn't. It sweeps perfectly smoothly all the way up, 20hz-20khz

However, the problem exists when playing the sweep through the left cabinet. It's also not 125hz! I have a test tone for that, and it plays fine.

So it's an environment thing.... Somewhere near 125hz but not at 125hz. Guess I need to do some tidying up and moving things around.

Thank you for the suggestion to try the single tone. It was whilst trying that out my brain realised there was possibly another answer.

J.
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

just be careful to keep the power at around a watt maximum - I've fried 3 inch voice coils in less than a minute :
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
just be careful to keep the power at around a watt maximum - I've fried 3 inch voice coils in less than a minute :
I'm quite careful when the technology allows me to be....
I've accidentally run >50% power through the system during one test when my browser interface froze out and collapsed whilst competing for the WIFI bandwidth. Dust fell off the underside of the stairs and I felt I had to apologise to the neighbours..... Who had thought it was the system in my car.

J.
Old 4th February 2017, 12:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've had pc lockup too - one time on Youtube and a file which was hot and 100 watt per channel amp - spl must have been near 120dB in the midrange for over 20 seconds before I could shut down anything. Also had goofy output from a soundcard with a 600 watt/channel amp when Windows froze - thought it was an amp failure but more likely a crash.

Hide this!Advertise here!