What would you do with 8 JX92S drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2017, 11:27 PM   #1
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default What would you do with 8 JX92S drivers?

What kind of speakers would you build if you had 8 Jordan JX92S drivers just laying around waiting to be incorporated into a stereo system (disregard amplifier requirements)?

Monopoles? Bipoles? Tripoles? Quadpoles? Dipole bipoles?
Old 26th January 2017, 02:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bipole 1.5 way would be pretty awesome if you had the room.

Edit: Make that an offset Bipole 1.5 way

http://www.hifizine.com/2010/06/the-...e-loudspeaker/

Last edited by ewollowe; 26th January 2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:46 AM   #3

That's a regular bipole but with the back driver rolled off at the baffle step frequency, right? That's certainly one of the more doable options!

I've had a pair of the JX92S in small sealed boxes, which are great all around, but finally have a reason (and motivation) to make some new speakers and can use up to 4 drivers per channel. Using 2 drivers per channel would spread the wealth to two sets of stereo speakers, but why not go crazy?

My grey matter keeps going back to 4 drivers in a square cross-section enclosure because I have never seen anything like that done before (but it probably has been done before (like most anything these days!).

One configuration would have the left, front, and right drivers wired in phase and the rear driver out of phase. My thinking is that would create somewhat of a cardioid type of polar response, but I could be way off.

Another configuration would have the front and rear in phase with each other and the left and right in phase with each other but out of phase with the front/rear drivers. This would create a sort of dipolar bipole. It would be interesting because the pressure inside the enclosure should effectively be zero since two drivers are going in and two are going out at the same time but should have a similar polar response to a dipole.

Last edited by BWRX; 26th January 2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Planet 10 gave some thought to using 4 drivers per side many moons ago and had these suggestions for a smaller 3" unit.

TB W3-871S project needs bass

Scroll down to see his post.
Old 26th January 2017, 03:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Another interesting one.

True Dipole

You could even make a 3 way if you wanted?
Old 26th January 2017, 03:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewollowe View Post
Planet 10 gave some thought to using 4 drivers per side many moons ago and had these suggestions for a smaller 3" unit.

TB W3-871S project needs bass
A MM bipole would be interesting, but the minimum center to center spacing of the drivers would be 5.5 in (0.1397 m). If you consider comb filtering to be an issue at frequencies above a full wavelength of the driver spacing, that would be 2455 Hz (1/2 wavelength is 1277Hz, 1/4 wavelength is 614Hz). I don't know how bad that would sound, but that frequency range is pretty critical. Of course, that could be helped by low passing all but one driver.
Old 26th January 2017, 03:45 AM   #7
HeyBill is offline HeyBill  United States
diyAudio Member

MJK open baffle with H Frame sub. Mine work great.

Regards, HeyBill
Old 26th January 2017, 03:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you're listening at a good distance there's a chance you might not notice much comb filtering at all.
Lots of discussions here on comb filtering, on paper it appears to be a big problem but in practice plenty of builds seems to work well.

You could build the MM Bipole, try it full range and if it sounds weird low bass a front and back driver.

I stick with my 1.5 way offset bipole. Minidsp, two stereo amps, that would be one dynamic speaker.
Old 26th January 2017, 04:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyBill View Post
MJK open baffle with H Frame sub. Mine work great.
I remember reading about this back when Martin initially introduced the design That is definitely one I'd like to try some day, but I have enough "stuff" that needs to be used or sold first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewollowe View Post
Lots of discussions here on comb filtering, on paper it appears to be a big problem but in practice plenty of builds seems to work well.

You could build the MM Bipole, try it full range and if it sounds weird low bass a front and back driver.
I probably wouldn't be able to hear much of a difference with regards to comb filtering!

The MM bipole is certainly one of my top options. It's simpler and each driver could be amped individually to experiment with different filtering. If the comb filtering is really noticeable, drivers could be removed and sealed off with blanks.

Last edited by BWRX; 26th January 2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 26th January 2017, 10:31 AM   #10
gints is offline gints  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Jordan webpage has speaker plan for Eikona 4 driver line array. Maybe you can ask if it can be adjusted for jx92s drivers.

loudspeaker plans - E J Jordan Designs
blog - E J Jordan Designs

Hide this!Advertise here!