Manger MSW and Eton 11-581/50 HEX Plans - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2004, 01:52 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

superstition:

The audio-elevation woofer is not what I count to the exhaust types, it is basically a dipole.

suranjan:

There are in fact many speakers with a flatter amplitude-response than an MSW-based design. But most of these are worse in temporal behaviour. So it is as always : There's no free lunch.

Regards

Charles
Old 15th March 2004, 02:21 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By looking at Calebay's (thread starter) plan and Charles' warning regarding designs with an "exhaust" you will get an idea what I mean.
there is no exhaust - its a closed 70-75 liter box and the eton 11" works to perfection in such a box.......

btw i agree about the higher xover frequency - my guess would also be about 300 hz.......and if you insist of a diy speaker this project is imho alot easier to get to work than most others.....!

its not my project - i just like it alot.....i use ATC scm100sl - the best IMHO........
Old 15th March 2004, 02:49 PM   #23
Account Disabled

Quote:
there is no exhaust - its a closed 70-75 liter box and the eton 11" works to perfection in such a box.......
You are right, my fault, sorry.

Quote:
btw i agree about the higher xover frequency - my guess would also be about 300 hz
It's around 350Hz for all Zerobox designs and I guess this will be a good starting point for other designs too.

Quote:
The audio-elevation woofer is not what I count to the exhaust types, it is basically a dipole.
Charles: Any other comment/experience regarding the audio-elevation sub? This one is high on my future project list (together with a wide baffle like the Manger Diskus).
Old 15th March 2004, 04:15 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's around 350Hz for all Zerobox designs and I guess this will be a good starting point for other designs too.
yes it will, but as i mentioned ealier - calebay will be using the rane xover to start with and therefore he will be able to tune the hole thing pretty easy....and get reasonable sound right away.....
Old 16th March 2004, 05:46 AM   #25
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
i think the 109 is a fantastic speaker. i have only my ears as a judge. in fact it is the manger than made me think of full ranges as an alternate solution. i spent 2 wonderful days with the manger (NAD silverline electronics) thanks to Khushroo.

I too wondered what the Manger would do coupled to a "better" bigger woofer (Scan Speak 10" http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/data/26w_8861t00a.htm ) . Khushroo told me that Manger does not recomend using a larger woofer with the manger. What might be an option however is to use a the same 8" in a TL.
Old 16th March 2004, 05:58 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What might be an option however is to use a the same 8" in a TL.
There we go again: EXHAUST !!!!!

Regards

Charles
Old 16th March 2004, 06:13 AM   #27
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
drivers I was told that will also mate well are the Peerless CSX/HDS 8" woofers but the SS 8" was chosen as it went lower.
Old 16th March 2004, 06:49 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

The Perless HDS driver was one that I had in mind too. I also had a look at the 8" drivers of Eton.
For the first prototype (that is still in use) I went with a Dynaudio 20W75 that I had on stock.
Since this one has a rather limited Vd I went for an "almost Dynaudio" (I am a fan of these) driver: Audiotechnology of Denmark.
Because I don't have that much spare-time things go veeery slow. So the prototype-case for this one is not completely finished yet, but I hope it will be by the end of this month.

And yes, it will be a closed box of course !

Regards

Chalres
Old 16th March 2004, 01:11 PM   #29
SineEra is offline SineEra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Eton 11" Driver

This driver is used in the well respected Avalon Eidiolon speakers and there it is vented and has a x-over of 350Hz.

check out Martin Colloms (smart guy) review for Hi-Fi news

http://www.avalonacoustics.com/news.html

His book is a good but very technical read (degree level)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...47923?v=glance

Simon
Old 16th March 2004, 01:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This driver is used in the well respected Avalon Eidiolon
yes, this driver sounds very good......! those flimsy 6 - 8" midbass units hasn't got a chance.....and its price is fair too...

Hide this!Advertise here!