Electric organ speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Organ speaker are deliberately limited in HF response and have specs very much like other musical instrument speakers. They have high Qts, and very stiff suspensions. Some of the better ones are found in old Conn or Allen organs. Sizes found are the usual 15, 12 or 8 inch variety. Some of the best 6 X 9 drivers I experience were from a Conn set of what they called "pipe speakers". Most would work in the OBs of today with some careful equalization.

I have one of those 6x9 Conn organ speakers. Waiting patiently for another one to show up, I see free organs all the time on craigslist. Just a lot of work for an amp and speaker lol

I have a pair of 12 inch Rola's and the same sized pair of Heppners hanging on the shop wall. Was wondering what to do with them.
The Rola's came with a single 8 inch speaker which was probably a tweeter of sorts, don't know if I still have the crossover in the parts bin.

Have two very nice sounding guitar speaker cabs made with 12 inch Jenson alnico's. They were both 1959 vintage and one was from a Wurlitzer and the other an M3 from Hammond

One other cab I built uses a pair of 8 inch ceramic Jenson's, from a Leslie,for 16 ohm impedance. It is in a sealed cab and is actually really nice with my single ended 6u8 input and 6p1p output amp.

Also have four Phillips with whizzers that are out of a console, and funny enough they are the ones that were going to get the first OB experiment, but maybe the organ speakers are worth an effort ?
Still have the Phillips stereo tube amp and was going to use the trannies to build a simple low watt power amp and use the CNC as the phono pre.

I know an older guy who uses an leslie (with the roters not working because the motor is broken) in combination with a Fostex supertweeter as his (mono) system. He mainly listen to really old blues and americana, but he says that is the best speaker setup he heared... I don't agree, but i have to say it sounded nice for that kind of music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.