Lance enclosure damping material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is not a what's best question.

I'm looking for something inexpensive and available in small quantities that will do the job. And hopefully something I could get at a Lowes/HD or Walmart fabrics department, etc.

I found this (somewhat) locally, but it's 2" thick. The design calls for 1/2" thick. Apparently I can split the baffle but that still leaves me at 1"-ish thick.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johns-Manv...n-with-Sound-Barrier-16-in-W-x-4-ft-L/3364428

I'm asking because I don't understand very well how much of it is the surface texture, the density, the thickness, that is needed to get the desired results in this style enclosure.

Ultratouch Denim Insulation

Ultratouch denim insulation is used by many forum members and is available through (but not necessarily at) Lowe's and Home Depot. A single batt of 2" x 16" x 48" is about $11.00. You could divide it in half and then divide it again to get 4 sheets 1/2" thick. I was under the impression they actually sold it in a 1/2" thick roll but can't find it right now.

Ultratouch denim insulation is used by many forum members and is available through (but not necessarily at) Lowe's and Home Depot. A single batt of 2" x 16" x 48" is about $11.00. You could divide it in half and then divide it again to get 4 sheets 1/2" thick. I was under the impression they actually sold it in a 1/2" thick roll but can't find it right now.

I did a fair amount of searching for the 1/2" stuff as well.

Have you (or anyone) split the 2" before? Does is split somewhat evenly and cleanly? I know the denim stuff is well thought of and what I used on my uFonkens but i got it as part of the flat pak.

The 2" stuff is an absolute bitch to split evenly. I've used the 1/2" for quite a few years now, and it's a breeze to cut, as well as glue with white wood glue. Best of that type our commercial millwork shop has found is

https://rooglue.com/product/rooclear/
new_rooClear_lg_pr.png

Planet10 currently has stock of the 1/2" bonded back material - not widely distributed as it's targeted more to the HVAC industry and is run in small batches - but as Zac notes, the shipping to below the 49th could cost more than the product.

Thanks Jim. That's what I ended up ordering. I used to be able to get 1/2" fiberglass in small quantities but can't seem to lay my hands on it anymore.

But this morning i found felt rug pads in 1/2" thick for 3' x 5' for $28 with free shipping. That's closer in density to the well-liked denim stuff. With the PE stuff I'm only getting 2 sq/ft for which is barely enough and with shipping fundamentally the same price, but it's already shipped... sigh.

I think the Lance's are looking for a fibrous type of acoustic damping, not the damping /absorption of panel resonances. The little folded labyrinth series are small enough and already fairly well braced that most of the likely panel resonance frequencies will be well above those at which the enclosures are tuned.

Ezas, apologies for the late response as I've been out of pocket for awhile. I noticed you have already ordered material in lieu of the UltraTouch products. For future use check out the UltraTouch product line at bondedlogic.com. They tend to offer Where To Buy options for each of their products. The closest product that seems to be readily available in the home stores is the Radiant Barrier:

UltraTouch 48 in. x 6 ft. Radiant Barrier-30000-11406 - The Home Depot

It's only 3/8" thick and is foil backed but it might be acceptable. Perhaps ChrisB would weigh in as to how it might compare to the 1/2" material.

Edit: Further research has uncovered this product: http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/cellulose-panel/cellulose-panels.html which is available in 1/2" thickness. The entire website has resources for taming reflections and the products to accomplish it. If you're looking to do room treatment it might pay to check it out.

Last edited:
Craig - I've only ever used the 1/2" material. I can't imagine the foil backing on the radiant barrier would pose any problems - in fact it'd likely make it easy to adhere, - FWIW, Planet10 still some good stock on the 1/2" fabric backed product - but as with lots of small items, the mailing costs would likely be more than the material itself.

Craig - I've only ever used the 1/2" material. I can't imagine the foil backing on the radiant barrier would pose any problems - in fact it'd likely make it easy to adhere, - FWIW, Planet10 still some good stock on the 1/2" fabric backed product - but as with lots of small items, the mailing costs would likely be more than the material itself.

I was thinking the same thing re: the foil backing making installation easier. I suppose it's possible it might also provide some magnetic shielding capability.

I edited my reply in #16 to include a reference to another possible source for 1/2" material: CFAB Cellulose Acoustical Panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.