Reccomand 3.5-4.5 inch widerange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,
Please reccomand decent 3.5-5 inch widerange driver to make good sounding small speakers.

Best if midrange sound natural but also if it get high freq trough well and midbass.
Probably not possible to get all freq trough single driver well but other option is use small tweeter for high and seperate midbass + crossover.
Also one idea could be to use car speaker kit if decent avalible.

Idea is to make closed box but inverter may also be added.

Last edited:
These Planet_10 mMar-Ken6peN's will probably never leave my desktop. These particular boxes were prototypes that have the wrong tuning. They are made from Baltic Birch ply, and have treated Mark Audio A6p drivers.

jeff

Attachments

• mMar-Ken6p.JPG
    mMar-Ken6p.JPG
    709.4 KB · Views: 715
These Planet_10 mMar-Ken6peN's will probably never leave my desktop. These particular boxes were prototypes that have the wrong tuning. They are made from Baltic Birch ply, and have treated Mark Audio A6p drivers.

jeff
image.php

Not bad freq response drivers and nice wood work(Those could look even better if darker paint).
If possible to get similar result with cheaper drivers id chose cheaper but if not possible then max build price ~130
Did you add damping also to walls inside? Are the ports below inverters?
Usually how does it affect sound in small closed type boxes if reducing literage alot via added damping material to walls.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Without opening that same old can of worms on the subject of ultimate relevance of published FR curves, I'd posit they tell only part of the story.

Just to add another candidate to the list, I'd be negligent for not mentioning the Fostex FF85WK - when used within its limitations, this little guy can make a decent sounding desk-top system, or even as mid tweeter in a small 2-way. Cut from a different cloth than the A6P.

And while I'm just not a fanboy, there's the Vifa/Peerless TC9

In the proper enclosure, Fostex drivers are very well regarded. If I'm not mistaken, they favor being in a horn configuration, so they might need a little more real estate than what you're looking for.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/277433-enclosure-fe108ez.html

Mike
If placed in 5-7 liter box with 30-50% or more damping is Fostex bad choice?
Also thinking of making inverter to amplify 80-150 hz more, but if midrange suffer from inveterter will close the ports.

Last edited:
If placed in 5-7 liter box with 30-50% or more damping is Fostex bad choice?
Also thinking of making inverter to amplify 70-90 hz more, but if midrange suffer from inveterter will close the ports.

I can't give you an opinion if they would work in 5-7 liter box, but all the build threads I've seen have them in some sort of horn; larger than 5-7 liters. I don't know what kind of inverter you're referring to, so I can't answer that either.
Mike

Those drivers seem to fall off at 10Khz but bit more bass.
Bass around 100-150hz would be nice to have coming from <4 inch, but is not crucial as it will mostly play with floor speakers that can go under 30hz.

The box design is interesting , almost like inside panels placed in fibonachi sequence and extending length.
What effects does this type of box create?

Last edited:
Those drivers seem to fall off at 10Khz but bit more bass.
Bass around 100-150hz would be nice to have coming from <4 inch, but is not crucial as it will mostly play with floor speakers that can go under 30hz.

The box design is interesting , almost like inside panels placed in fibonachi sequence and extending length.
What effects does this type of box create?
I think it's somewhat a Transmission Line box. The layout is specifically calculated to take advantage of width and length of frequency waves to have a resonant path all the way along.

Right. See the title page of the pdf. ;) They're basically my nod to Olney's acoustical labyrinth, i.e. a folded QW line lagged with damping material to attenuate the harmonics. The acoustical labyrinth predates the Bailey type of TL (stuffed line) by about 3 decades & were marketed by Stromberg-Carlson until the late '60s. These days TL has become a catch-all phrase for almost any QW design; I prefer classing the boxes mentioned though under the original name, which is more accurate from a design perspective.

Last edited:
Recthe FE108Sigma - I've heard these in a range of designs, and I most enjoyed Scott's Aiko - a bifurcated front mouthed Olson/Nagaoka labyrinth, I believe it'd be classified as?

I can't imagine that driver delivering its full potential in a small box such as any of the "Baby Labs"

Did I yet mention the Alpair A7.3 or A7P? While not as silky smooth as the FE108 in the midrange - almost seductive with a 2A3 the Fostex are - I've found them to deliver more extension at both ends of the spectrum, and they are less fussy about enclosure types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.